NHL'94 Forums

Free Agents Frenzy Canadian Teams go Crazy

Montreal

Spacek : 3 years 3,8 M$

Gill : 2 Years 2,2 M$

Cammaleri : 5 years 6 M$

Canadien get a solid D, now with Spacek, Hamrlik and Markov to get the puck, they Man up also, with Hal Gill, big guy. They also get arguably the best Offensive forward in the UFA with Mike Cammaleri who registered 39 goals and 82 points last season

Toronto

Komisarek : 4 Years 4,5 M$

Trade Kubina for Exelby

Getting bigger on D, with Komisarek and Exelby, now you have to wonder, where will they get that 2nd Dman that can move the puck, cause those two can't move it for theyre life, Kubina also a big loss, with 40 points last season

Ottawa

Trade with Healtey to Edmonton Pending

Calgary

Lost Cammaleri, Signed Jay Bouwmeester earlier

Get a great D, loose a goalscorer

Edmonton

Trade with Healtey from Ottawa Peding

Khabibulin : 4 years 4 M$

Oilers get a great goalie in the net, might be the Oilers' year, if Heatley accepts to come.

Vancouver

H and D Sedin : 6 years 6 M$

Secure theyre offense for the next years to come, might make things easier, to attract other players.

Khabibulin

also the leafs add speedy Colin Stuart and the tough Colton Orr

all free agents that were signed were Brian Burke like players

trading Kubina loses 5M in cap space which is good

and getting Mike Komesarik alows the leafs to trade Tomas Kaberle for a top centerman

overall the leafs did a good job on day one but i think the most succesful team was sadly, the Montreal Candadians

they added Spacek and Gill to cover up the loss of Komesarik and also picked up what I think is was the best UFA out there

Mike Cammaleri

Edited by nationals1

Guest Wags13

Hal Gill for $2.2M? :P:blink::wacko::what::lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to watch Malkin, Crosby, Staal, etc etc etc skate right around that giant piece of sh*t next year.. and if you guys are lucky, he'll score on Price only half as much as he did on Fleury this past year..

Habs picked up Gionta as well.

"Overhaulin'" could run another episode about Montreal.

Hal Gill for $2.2M? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to watch Malkin, Crosby, Staal, etc etc etc skate right around that giant piece of sh*t next year.. and if you guys are lucky, he'll score on Price only half as much as he did on Fleury this past year..

Pens Wingers

Bill Guerin...

Chris Kunitz

Ruslan Fedotenko??!...

Habs Wingers

Brian GIonta

Mike Cammaleri

Andrei Kostitsyn...!

Pens Wingers

Bill Guerin...

Chris Kunitz

Ruslan Fedotenko??!...

Habs Wingers

Brian GIonta

Mike Cammaleri

Andrei Kostitsyn...!

Well Wags' initial point was that Hal Gil is slow and not worth 2.2 mil.

It is true. Bad pickup for the Habs.

And you make a nice point comparing the Habs wingers to the Pens... but who do the Habs have up the middle? (really.. I have no clue.)

Well Wags' initial point was that Hal Gil is slow and not worth 2.2 mil.

It is true. Bad pickup for the Habs.

And you make a nice point comparing the Habs wingers to the Pens... but who do the Habs have up the middle? (really.. I have no clue.)

The thing was only to pick off Wags, that's it.

Btw, yeah maybe he can be useful, cheking people into the boards... if not, we will just go Flyers Style, like Rathje... and just let him home or in the AHL...

Guest Wags13
The thing was only to pick off Wags, that's it.

Btw, yeah maybe he can be useful, cheking people into the boards... if not, we will just go Flyers Style, like Rathje... and just let him home or in the AHL...

Kunitz, Guerin and Fedetenko each have a couple cups...what do those jabroni's have?? A dumb logo on their chest now.

team full of small forwards just got way smaller

fu ck gainey, this guys on crack.

why would you sign gionta over havlat wtff.

great idea jackass make an entire line under 6 foot.

team full of small forwards just got way smaller

fu ck gainey, this guys on crack.

why would you sign gionta over havlat wtff.

great idea jackass make an entire line under 6 foot.

Personally, I like the Gionta signing for Montreal. Cammalleri was a FANTASTIC signing. I think Spacek was overpaid, and Gill is a complete waste of space. Gill is terribly slow and is a liability on both ends of the ice. If he's not at center ice watching the opposition score, he's in his own end screening his own goaltender or deflecting pucks past him. Worst of all, Gill is nowhere nearly as physical as he should be. If the Habs wanted to spend money on a Pittsburgh defender, they should've thrown that money at Scuderi. Scuderi has lapses from time to time, but can be brilliant in the defensive end. Unlike Gill, Scuderi knows how to play one-on-one against forwards and keep the puck in front of him and block shots.

Unlike Havlat, Gionta is an excellent forechecker and knows how to play a high-tempo and aggressive game. Havlat is a very skilled player, but he lacks in the little things that Gionta brings to the table. Gionta also knows how to put the puck in the net when you feed it to him in the slot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gionta play on Gomez's line. Gomez is a pretty good hockey player, just an overpaid one. But nevertheless, Gionta/Gomez could be a good duo for the Habs.

The Gionta signing will be a good one if Gainey plays an aggressive forecheck that will utilize Gionta's talents, as well as pairing him with players who can feed him the puck (Gomez).

Cammalleri-Gomez-Gionta could be one of the best lines in the league if they put those three together.

The only concern I would have about the Habs at this point is their defense and their secondary scoring. Kostitsyn brothers need to wake up next season and start playing to their potential. While I don't think the Habs defense is terrible, I also don't think it's all that great, either. Losing Komisarek will hurt, despite the up-and-down season he had last year. Habs should be just fine in goal. If Price doesn't start playing to his potential, then you simply start Halak. Halak/Price should be a good tandem. Many coaches would kill to have two good goalies.

Personally, I like the Gionta signing for Montreal. Cammalleri was a FANTASTIC signing. I think Spacek was overpaid, and Gill is a complete waste of space. Gill is terribly slow and is a liability on both ends of the ice. If he's not at center ice watching the opposition score, he's in his own end screening his own goaltender or deflecting pucks past him. Worst of all, Gill is nowhere nearly as physical as he should be. If the Habs wanted to spend money on a Pittsburgh defender, they should've thrown that money at Scuderi. Scuderi has lapses from time to time, but can be brilliant in the defensive end. Unlike Gill, Scuderi knows how to play one-on-one against forwards and keep the puck in front of him and block shots.

Unlike Havlat, Gionta is an excellent forechecker and knows how to play a high-tempo and aggressive game. Havlat is a very skilled player, but he lacks in the little things that Gionta brings to the table. Gionta also knows how to put the puck in the net when you feed it to him in the slot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gionta play on Gomez's line. Gomez is a pretty good hockey player, just an overpaid one. But nevertheless, Gionta/Gomez could be a good duo for the Habs.

The Gionta signing will be a good one if Gainey plays an aggressive forecheck that will utilize Gionta's talents, as well as pairing him with players who can feed him the puck (Gomez).

Cammalleri-Gomez-Gionta could be one of the best lines in the league if they put those three together.

The only concern I would have about the Habs at this point is their defense and their secondary scoring. Kostitsyn brothers need to wake up next season and start playing to their potential. While I don't think the Habs defense is terrible, I also don't think it's all that great, either. Losing Komisarek will hurt, despite the up-and-down season he had last year. Habs should be just fine in goal. If Price doesn't start playing to his potential, then you simply start Halak. Halak/Price should be a good tandem. Many coaches would kill to have two good goalies.

Hmm, yes maybe a little problem on D, but on the opposite of you, i think Spacek is a real deal.

3,8 M$ Not too much, 45 points, brings a good presence at the point on PPs

Mobile dman who gets the puck out easily.

I think, soon enough will Martin realize Gill is a waste, and play Subban, Weber or Carle at it's place.

So we should be safe.

As for the Pens... can they repeat themselves with such plumbers on the wings...? Maybe it's time to trade-in Jordan, especially with the high value he gets from winning the cup...