NHL'94 Forums

Koivu now gets chance to disappoint fans in Anaheim

Guest Wags13

disappointing? Could you elaborate please?

lol at ESPN

Edited by Freydey

Saku takes his disappointing career to Anaheim now

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4313826

In his sophomore year, Koivu was leading the NHL in scoring before suffering a knee injury. The next two seasons, Koivu was riddled with various leg injuries; however, in each year, he managed to play in more than 60 regular season games. During the 1999–00 NHL season, Koivu dislocated his shoulder which took him off the ice for 40 games, and had another knee injury, playing only 24 games. The next season, he sat out 28 games due to arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

On 6 September 2001, Koivu was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma after having serious pains in stomach and vomiting. Koivu was on his way back from Finland with then-fellow Canadien Brian Savage who said he looked pale and not well at all. He went to see the Canadien's physician David Mulder, who did tests. It was later discovered that Koivu had cancer.

On 26 April 2006, during a home playoff game against the Carolina Hurricanes, Koivu sustained a serious injury to his left eye. Koivu has admitted to having lost some degree of peripheral vision out of the injured eye which he will likely never regain. Koivu's play has demonstrated that he can still complement his linemates with seemingly no adverse impact to his performance.

NHL

Voted to the NHL All-Star Game by the fans - 1998, 2003 (did not play due to injury)

Bill Masterton Trophy - 2002

King Clancy Memorial Trophy - 2007

First ever European-born captain of the Montreal Canadiens - 1999-2009'

International

Ice Hockey World Championships Tournament All-Star - 1994, 1995, 1999

Ice Hockey World Championships Tournament's Best Forward - 1995, 1999

Ice Hockey World Championships Tournament's Top scorer - 1999

Finnish Ice hockey player of the year - 1994, 1995

Turin 2006 Winter Olympics - Tournament All-Star

Turin 2006 Winter Olympics - Top scorer

Captain of Team Finland - 1998-present

----------

Enough talk about Saku Koivu, we all know he is a great player that gives his 110% even after all he has been throught.

We could talk about your disappoiting carreer, Wags, of a 35 years old lurking on a forum, wasting his time by writting BS after BS about what he has no clue about. But hey, everyone already knows about that.

Now, i'll do yourself a favor and save you some time. You'd probly reply HEY BUT KOIVU DOESNT HAVE A CUP SO HE SUCKS GAGAGAGAGA. -enough of this mofape talk.

Uwe Kruup won a Cup. Phil Housley didnt. Kruup had a very more successful carreer and is a much better D than Housley.

Aaron Downey won a Cup. Pavel Bure didnt. Downey had a very more successful carreer and is a much better Foward than Bure.

Right Wags?

Edited by Zalex

Guest Wags13

Gee Zalex, tell us how you really feel? I mean I could go your route and call you some idiot Canadian fan apologist who gets his ass whipped regularly by me on the ice.. but that wouldn't make me any better than you now would it?

Saku Koivu never realized his potential in Montreal, Finland, or anywhere else. Whether it was cancer, injuries, or inferior line mates and management in Montreal, its of no matter- the guy hasn't done sh*t in the NHL, and that's a fact.

Oh, and he hasn't won a cup GAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGA

Gee Zalex, tell us how you really feel? I mean I could go your route and call you some idiot Canadian fan apologist who gets his ass whipped regularly by me on the ice.. but that wouldn't make me any better than you now would it?

Saku Koivu never realized his potential in Montreal, Finland, or anywhere else. Whether it was cancer, injuries, or inferior line mates and management in Montreal, its of no matter- the guy hasn't done sh*t in the NHL, and that's a fact.

Oh, and he hasn't won a cup GAGAGAGAGAGAGAGAGA

yea ok what ever you want grandpa

Edited by Zalex

He was drafted 23rd overall and of the people in his draft year has the 5th highest point total... Sounds like at least meeting potential to me. Oh, and that's 1st in points among those who had to deal with cancer.

post-253-1247100309_thumb.jpg

Guest Wags13

Why are all of you so defensive about a guy who didn't give you a reason to be defensive? I swear you Canadien apologist are like the Yankee fans here in the U.S. - annoyingly overprotective of some legacy that no longer matters.

What did Saku do when the calendar turned to May and June? You can have your points, I think he'd take Cups and playoff victories.

In my opinion he's a decent 1st line type of player who has been injury prone and had to deal with a horrible disease. Good leadership qualities etc. Don't think he's ever really lived up to the hype due to all of the aformentioned.

What positives to Expect in Anaheim: Heart, some scoring and leadership

What negatives to Expect: Many many missed games

Why are all of you so defensive about a guy who didn't give you a reason to be defensive? I swear you Canadien apologist are like the Yankee fans here in the U.S. - annoyingly overprotective of some legacy that no longer matters.

What did Saku do when the calendar turned to May and June? You can have your points, I think he'd take Cups and playoff victories.

oh my god, koivu is a good player, but we all know hes not one of the top players, can't win a cup by himself DUH (Nobody can). Talking about may to June, his stats proves that hes not bad during the playoff: 48pts in 54 games, but yeah, your right, he didn't win the cup....does that make him bad? Jeremy Roenick and Marcel Dionne are bad players??? Even if your a good player, you need to be in a good team to win the cup, and koivu is the type of player that gives his 110% when it comes to playoff. . .

Here's some other 21st overall picks from the 90s. Sean Brown, Mika Noronen, Mathieu Biron, Trevor Halverson, Libor Polasek, Evgeni Ryabchikov,Nick Boynton.

It's too bad they aren't still playing because I definitely would've made a thread on how they disappointed me as a hockey fan.

I'm only sticking with 20th overall picks from now on.

oh my god, koivu is a good player, but we all know hes not one of the top players, can't win a cup by himself DUH (Nobody can). Talking about may to June, his stats proves that hes not bad during the playoff: 48pts in 54 games, but yeah, your right, he didn't win the cup....does that make him bad? Jeremy Roenick and Marcel Dionne are bad players??? Even if your a good player, you need to be in a good team to win the cup, and koivu is the type of player that gives his 110% when it comes to playoff. . .

You'll have to excuse Wags. Evidently, intelligence, rational thought, and critical thinking are not his strong suits. He's obviously ignoring the fact that Mario Lemieux himself never won a Cup until the Pens were stacked with the likes of Tom Barrasso (whom they would've NEVER won a Cup without), Paul Coffey, Larry Murphy, Ulf Samuelsson, Ron Francis, Kevin Stevens, Bryan Trottier, Joey Mullen, Mario Lemieux himself, Jaromir Jagr, Rick Tocchet, etc.

Koivu will not only provide stability to the Ducks lineup, he will also provide scoring, leadership by example, and PLENTY of faceoff wins (health permitting).

*Sigh* Why does Wags always think it really matters , if you come from the USA or Canada... geez, it might be true, that you tend to be more stupid if your american, since the education is less spread for the average american than the average canadian... but outside that, therms of hockey knowledge, doesn't make a damn difference...

*Sigh* Why does Wags always think it really matters , if you come from the USA or Canada... geez, it might be true, that you tend to be more stupid if your american, since the education is less spread for the average american than the average canadian... but outside that, therms of hockey knowledge, doesn't make a damn difference...

I guess it's a good thing Koivu wasn't a Canadian citizen when he had cancer, because he would never have been treated.....

Anyways in terms of great players during the 90s and 2000s... Koivu's name was kind of talked about.. but he never ranked up with Forsberg or Sakic or anyone that was actually great. Sure he had a good career... but not great.

And I think that when the media stacks up the careers of pros, they always look for a Stanley Cup or Super Bowl Ring or etc... but that is such a terrible argument given they play team sports. Michael Jordan couldn't win any NBA Championships without Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc, Dennis Rodman, Horrace Grant, etc. From my perspective, it is just something more for the media to talk about, and it has trickled down to the common sports fan.

I guess it's a good thing Koivu wasn't a Canadian citizen when he had cancer, because he would never have been treated.....

Anyways in terms of great players during the 90s and 2000s... Koivu's name was kind of talked about.. but he never ranked up with Forsberg or Sakic or anyone that was actually great. Sure he had a good career... but not great.

And I think that when the media stacks up the careers of pros, they always look for a Stanley Cup or Super Bowl Ring or etc... but that is such a terrible argument given they play team sports. Michael Jordan couldn't win any NBA Championships without Scottie Pippen, Toni Kukoc, Dennis Rodman, Horrace Grant, etc. From my perspective, it is just something more for the media to talk about, and it has trickled down to the common sports fan.

Don't forget Bill Cartwright (his center) and coach Phil Jackson (whose triangle offense gave Jordan the isolation he needed to utilize his talents on the offensive end of the floor).

And you're right: players winning championships is nothing more than garbage talk by the media for the sake of having something to talk about; unfortunately, dumb sports fans buy into it. Dan Marino is the most talented quarterback ever to play the game; unfortunately, he never won the Super Bowl because he played for a mediocre team his entire career (the Dolphins were only truly a great team the first 2 or 3 years of his career as their best players were aging). Mark Rypien won a Super Bowl... is he better than Dan Marino? A RESOUNDING NO!

Koivu will never be mistaken for Mark Messier or Joe Sakic or anybody of that caliber; however, he was a darn good hockey player. Nobody's arguing that Koivu is a hall-of-famer... just that Wags is extremely ignorant (which isn't exactly the world's best-kept secret by any means). :(

Guest Wags13

Just to clarify, I never said that Koivu stinks, although most of the feedback and defensive replies seem to indicate that I did- in 10 years as captain of the most popular franchise in the NHL, he and his team did jack-squat in the post season

TruePensFan1981- keep your opinions of me to yourself. I'd expect a warning from one of the admins to you about personal shots at another forum member, but I won't hold my breath. I'd take your opinions and posts more seriously if you more actively participated in our forums, leagues, and became more within our community. As it stands now, you are just a casual know it all who touts a 6-1-1 lifetime online record.

Koivu and Selanne together - team Finland's top line guys on the same team. As a Ducks fan I'm excited for Koivu, the team needs more depth and goal scorers, that's what it came down to with Detroit in the post season was depth.

Koivu and Selanne together - team Finland's top line guys on the same team. As a Ducks fan I'm excited for Koivu, the team needs more depth and goal scorers, that's what it came down to with Detroit in the post season was depth.

Keep in mind that Koivu was very productive in the games he played last season. He could most certainly average a point per game -- or darn close to it -- if he gets some significant PP minutes in Anaheim. I would not be surprised to see Selanne and Koivu being linemates at all.

In fact, Anaheim has quite the collection of RW this summer (Ryan, Selanne, Lupul, Perry). They will have FOUR LINES that can pass, shoot, and score. They're starting to look very much like the Detroit team of the mid-to-late 1990s, but with a weaker - albeit a solid - blue line.

If Anaheim opts not to trade one of their goaltenders, then they have good goaltending depth with Giguere and Hiller. They will be a tough team in the west next season.

• 3 weeks later...
In his sophomore year, Koivu was leading the NHL in scoring before suffering a knee injury. The next two seasons, Koivu was riddled with various leg injuries; however, in each year, he managed to play in more than 60 regular season games. During the 1999–00 NHL season, Koivu dislocated his shoulder which took him off the ice for 40 games, and had another knee injury, playing only 24 games. The next season, he sat out 28 games due to arthroscopic surgery on his left knee.

On 6 September 2001, Koivu was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma after having serious pains in stomach and vomiting. Koivu was on his way back from Finland with then-fellow Canadien Brian Savage who said he looked pale and not well at all. He went to see the Canadien's physician David Mulder, who did tests. It was later discovered that Koivu had cancer.

On 26 April 2006, during a home playoff game against the Carolina Hurricanes, Koivu sustained a serious injury to his left eye. Koivu has admitted to having lost some degree of peripheral vision out of the injured eye which he will likely never regain. Koivu's play has demonstrated that he can still complement his linemates with seemingly no adverse impact to his performance.

NHL

Voted to the NHL All-Star Game by the fans - 1998, 2003 (did not play due to injury)

Bill Masterton Trophy - 2002

King Clancy Memorial Trophy - 2007

First ever European-born captain of the Montreal Canadiens - 1999-2009'

International

Ice Hockey World Championships Tournament All-Star - 1994, 1995, 1999

Ice Hockey World Championships Tournament's Best Forward - 1995, 1999

Ice Hockey World Championships Tournament's Top scorer - 1999

Finnish Ice hockey player of the year - 1994, 1995

Turin 2006 Winter Olympics - Tournament All-Star

Turin 2006 Winter Olympics - Top scorer

Captain of Team Finland - 1998-present

----------

Enough talk about Saku Koivu, we all know he is a great player that gives his 110% even after all he has been throught.

We could talk about your disappoiting carreer, Wags, of a 35 years old lurking on a forum, wasting his time by writting BS after BS about what he has no clue about. But hey, everyone already knows about that.

Now, i'll do yourself a favor and save you some time. You'd probly reply HEY BUT KOIVU DOESNT HAVE A CUP SO HE SUCKS GAGAGAGAGA. -enough of this mofape talk.

Uwe Kruup won a Cup. Phil Housley didnt. Kruup had a very more successful carreer and is a much better D than Housley.

Aaron Downey won a Cup. Pavel Bure didnt. Downey had a very more successful carreer and is a much better Foward than Bure.

Right Wags?

Thank you for this Zalex.

Koivu is an Outstanding player and will forever be my favourite.

He sets an example that everyone should follow.

He plays with heart, and for his team.

Not for money.

I'll be rooting for Selanne and Koivu