NHL'94 Forums

SNES Editor v0.71

statto

SNES Editor 0.71

UPDATE:

+ Copy and paste now works

Everything else should work... same disclaimer applies... use at your own risk

hey thanks statto!...you rock bud.

Again..this has been great..thanks so much for this Statto. I was able to do an entire new rom of jerseys in only a couple of hours when it used to take me several.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Can someone please tell me what the + and - buttons do in Statto's SNES Editor?

post-2484-1262375636_thumb.png

I'm more of a Tecmo/RBI editor, but I like to dabble in other ROMs, and NHL94 is awesome. I just must not know something about the game that the +/- does. Is there a readme somewhere for stuff like this, otherwise?

Thanks fellas...

Edited by tjans

Can someone please tell me what the + and - buttons do in Statto's SNES Editor?

post-2484-1262375636_thumb.png

I'm more of a Tecmo/RBI editor, but I like to dabble in other ROMs, and NHL94 is awesome. I just must not know something about the game that the +/- does. Is there a readme somewhere for stuff like this, otherwise?

Thanks fellas...

They add a forward and remove a defenceman and vice versa.

The error im getting is..

Project1

Component 'COMDLG.OCX or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.

:beaten:

I had the same problem, just google "missing comdlg32" and you'll find a fix easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Statto,

In the 'Team Editor' Section...there are two teams highlighted (with the classic rom..its the rangers and islanders)...and at the bottom it says display names. If I change these displays to match the new teams I'm creating....it causes the game go whacky when I try and select those teams.

Any thoughts?

Hey Statto,

In the 'Team Editor' Section...there are two teams highlighted (with the classic rom..its the rangers and islanders)...and at the bottom it says display names. If I change these displays to match the new teams I'm creating....it causes the game go whacky when I try and select those teams.

Any thoughts?

A way around this is to add spaces to the end of the team name. For example, if you want to make the team name "Columbus" in the "NY Islanders" spot, just add "Columbus " in the highlighted region plus spaces to match the number of characters used originally. This means:

"NY Islanders" = 12 characters

"NY Rangers" = 10 characters

So you can put a team name for the Islanders spot up to 12 characters, but you must use all 12 characters up (even if that means using spaces.) Keep in mind that you won't be able to use more than the limit, either.

A way around this is to add spaces to the end of the team name. For example, if you want to make the team name "Columbus" in the "NY Islanders" spot, just add "Columbus " in the highlighted region plus spaces to match the number of characters used originally. This means:

"NY Islanders" = 12 characters

"NY Rangers" = 10 characters

So you can put a team name for the Islanders spot up to 12 characters, but you must use all 12 characters up (even if that means using spaces.) Keep in mind that you won't be able to use more than the limit, either.

Thanks...it worked! Unrelated note...do you know why it is necessary to have those teams highlighted?

Hey Statto,

In regards to some issues that I've had with naming teams...please read the previous three posts. I don't want to get into a my super long story but I would like to start with why the ny islanders and rangers are highlighted certain colours in the team editor section...when none of the rest of the teams are. Northstar already explained that they have to be the exact same amount of characters which fixed my problem....but it also made me wonder if other teams were like that or not.

For example, in the players editing section...I can use several characters for names(as long as i have the bytes available) but I pretty sure from using hex and referencing xstioph's notes that names should not exceed 17 characters(including spaces) and last names should not exceed 10 characters. I don't believe there's anything in the editor that limits me from exceeding characters in player names. So I wondered if there was a similar issue with naming teams. When I'm using what ever characters are left in the editor, I wondered if this was also causing problems by using them all. I haven't had extra time yet to trouble shoot the issue to give you perhaps better info, but hopefully I'm making some sense.

Hey Statto,

In regards to some issues that I've had with naming teams...please read the previous three posts. I don't want to get into a my super long story but I would like to start with why the ny islanders and rangers are highlighted certain colours in the team editor section...when none of the rest of the teams are. Northstar already explained that they have to be the exact same amount of characters which fixed my problem....but it also made me wonder if other teams were like that or not.

For example, in the players editing section...I can use several characters for names(as long as i have the bytes available) but I pretty sure from using hex and referencing xstioph's notes that names should not exceed 17 characters(including spaces) and last names should not exceed 10 characters. I don't believe there's anything in the editor that limits me from exceeding characters in player names. So I wondered if there was a similar issue with naming teams. When I'm using what ever characters are left in the editor, I wondered if this was also causing problems by using them all. I haven't had extra time yet to trouble shoot the issue to give you perhaps better info, but hopefully I'm making some sense.

It's because in the menu of the SNES game both teams are called "New York" but in order to distinguish between the two "New York" teams the programmers decided that they needed to create display names for both the Islanders and the Rangers, hence, the colored part of the team editors.

The editor only limits you so you can't screw the rom up by having too many bytes. It's different for the teams, so the number of bytes left for each team is to the right of the team, and then once that number is it you're "cut off" from using any more bytes. However, because all those bytes are in the same "region", you can delete the team's arena name to give them an extra couple characters in the team name without any problems whatsoever.

It's because in the menu of the SNES game both teams are called "New York" but in order to distinguish between the two "New York" teams the programmers decided that they needed to create display names for both the Islanders and the Rangers, hence, the colored part of the team editors.

The editor only limits you so you can't screw the rom up by having too many bytes. It's different for the teams, so the number of bytes left for each team is to the right of the team, and then once that number is it you're "cut off" from using any more bytes. However, because all those bytes are in the same "region", you can delete the team's arena name to give them an extra couple characters in the team name without any problems whatsoever.

perfect....thanks.

another question....It may be there and I just missed it... but how do I change the way which hand the players shoot, and which gloves goalies catch with?

perfect....thanks.

another question....It may be there and I just missed it... but how do I change the way which hand the players shoot, and which gloves goalies catch with?

Is it not in on the players screen?

Is it not in on the players screen?

Thanks bud...I knew that if you told me it was there I would find it. Can I have a mulligan on my last question? :lol:

Unless all the data is in exactly the same place, then no, it's 94 only. Apologies.

Any plans to incorporate NHL 93? Don't think the data will be in the same place as more teams in 94. If not what data do you need?

• 2 weeks later...
Any plans to incorporate NHL 93? Don't think the data will be in the same place as more teams in 94. If not what data do you need?

I'd probably have to program a separate NHL '93 editor, I mean I'd obviously adapt it, but there's just too much stuff hard-coded into the NHL 94 editor to get it to work properly (think locations of palettes, et cetera).

I'd probably have to program a separate NHL '93 editor, I mean I'd obviously adapt it, but there's just too much stuff hard-coded into the NHL 94 editor to get it to work properly (think locations of palettes, et cetera).

Are you interested in creating an editor for 93? I would be more than happy to help get this done. I think I know most of the stuff needed from editing the Gens 93 version but just need to work out where it is in the SNES rom - bit confused at the moment. Had a quick look and seems like you can edit some of the graphics in the SNES version e.g. sprites, face-off window which is cool but this needs further investigation before I get carried away.

Your editor for 94 looks great so to do it for 93 would be cool. :lol:

Bit of an update - Have so far found offsets for uniform palettes home/away, team lines, no of goalies also have team ratings. Just need to figure out how to edit without rom crashing. Not sure where the checksum is at the moment. Perhaps someone knows where it is??

Edited by top shelf

• 2 weeks later...
There is a checksum fixer for SNES roms.. A quick search should do the trick.

thanks Xstioph. the fixer corrects the checksum but corrupts the data.

However I found the checksum and disabled it and managed to edit the game without it crashing see picture. Note the s on the end of Lemieux. Doesn't look much but could be big. Don't want to get to exicited till have done a bit more testing but looks like a good start.

Played this growing up but not for years as you couldn't hack it. However, went back to it due to the fact that I think most of the gameplay is better than the other NHL games. Could be on my own there but hey! Looks like SNES 93 might now be hackable.

Hopefully a editor can now be put together

post-1995-1267818500_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Is there a way to more finely tune the player ratings (speed, shot power, etc) ?

Currently you can only change a given rating to 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, (no 75), 85, (no 95), or 100.

Obviously, it would be sweet if we could specify an exact number.

Is there a way to more finely tune the player ratings (speed, shot power, etc) ?

Currently you can only change a given rating to 25, 35, 45, 55, 65, (no 75), 85, (no 95), or 100.

Obviously, it would be sweet if we could specify an exact number.

The game only allows those values. Internally, the ratings are just 0,1,2,3,4,5,6.

• 3 weeks later...