94/09 League with NHL rules

Would you play in this league? If not please specify  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Would you play in this league? If not please specify

• Yes, I would play in this league
    • Maybe, but I would prefer to have a draft
    • No, I do not like playing with line changes
    • No, I do not like playing with offsides
    • No, I do not like the new ideas brought forward (trapezoid, real NHL rules, vulnerable goalie, etc.)
    • No, I am currently playing in a league and do not wish to start playing in another
    • No, for multiple reasons listed above
    • No, other reason (please specify in your post)

Hey guys, I'm at work right now and I just had this idea. I know the community loves no offsides and one line, but to me that type of gameplay gets old after awhile. I prefer my hockey with little-to-no floating, and I prefer my teams to have depth. So I was thinking about maybe starting a league that features line changes, the off sides rule, and the goalie trapezoid (if that's possible, I would need some guidance on hacking a rom to limit the goalies movement). I was also thinking of doing the following:

Cannot change lines on an offending icing call (would need rom editing)

Penalties automatically bring the faceoff into the offenders zone (would need rom editing)

Make goalies semi-tripable (so they don't fall, they just lose the puck to a pokecheck) outside the crease/trapezoid

Basically, I'm trying to create a league that plays more like a real NHL season.

This would be an NHL04/09 season, or if people don't want to do that I am open to changing the rom to the 94 Blitz rom. I have no plans on doing a draft, I would prefer to use the real teams with the current roms out there (edited if the fixes i mentioned above are possible). If the overall feeling is wanting to have a draft, then I will consider it.

I will decide if there will be A and B leagues, conferences, division, etc. once I get a feeling for how many people are interested in this. Also since I've never ran a league before, anyone with experience who wishes to help me out is more than welcome.

Edit: Probably should have mentioned, this will be a Gens league.

Edited by crackawhat

sounds cool, but... uhhh... have fun figuring out how to do those goalie and faceoff circle hacks...

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=3474 (posts 1, 6, and 13 by TonyH give a good introduction to hacking the game)

Edited by smozoma

sounds cool, but... uhhh... have fun figuring out how to do those goalie and faceoff circle hacks...

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=3474

I'm not saying they're impossible (except the poke-checking the goalie one), but it'll take a long time to learn how to do. Making a new code-level hack is not easy.

I'm not saying they're impossible (except the poke-checking the goalie one), but it'll take a long time to learn how to do. Making a new code-level hack is not easy.

Considering I know very little about coding I may just skip that. Would it be easier to just redraw the invisible wall for the goalie, or just make that invisible wall apply when he is holding the puck?

having line changes and offisides is a fresh idea

but i would prefer to draft NHL players... that would be cool

and smoz couldnt he just switch around the teams after the draft from the original 09 ROM??

What you could do is just get the trapezoid edited on the rink and let the invisible wall be. To change it to keep the goalie in the invisible wall when he has the puck I don't think has been figured out yet (has it?)

Edited by kupuck19

Considering I know very little about coding I may just skip that. Would it be easier to just redraw the invisible wall for the goalie, or just make that invisible wall apply when he is holding the puck?
What you could do is just get the trapezoid edited on the rink and let the invisible wall be. To change it to keep the goalie in the invisible wall when he has the puck I don't think has been figured out yet (has it?)

Here is what I think is possible: Currently, if you are controlling the goalie WITHOUT the puck, you can NOT go into the corner -- you can only move in a square area around the net and crease. So, I think it would be possible to EXTEND this area to allow the player to move the goalie farther from the net (such as to the boards and the hash marks), and then (hard part) NOT ALLOW the goalie into the corner (this is hard because you can't just say "he can't go farther than 5 feet", you have to say "he can't go farther than 5 feet if he's behind the net; otherwise he can't go farther than 20 feet." -- if you add complexity rather than just change values, a hack gets way more difficult). However, that wouldn't really solve anything -- the real problem is that the goalie, under AI control, goes into the corner to get the puck. I don't know how that would be to disable. It would probably be possible to make him never chase the puck into the corner or behind the net, but to make him ONLY go behind the net, but not into the corner, that'd could be really hard because it's the same behaviour (the target - the puck - just happens to be in a different place). Maybe you could change the location of the puck where he's willing to chase it, but AI code is mysterious.

Anyway, I always thought it was fun getting beaten up by the AI goalie in the corner :D

Clockwise did a trapezoid rink graphics update already, I think

The icing hack is probably not do-able -- you could probably disable line-changes for BOTH teams, but not for just one.

I think the only really do-able hack idea is the faceoff-after-penalty idea, but it's still not trivial because you are adding behaviour. (note: you'd have to also handle the case where both teams got penalties at the same time).

having line changes and offisides is a fresh idea

but i would prefer to draft NHL players... that would be cool

and smoz couldnt he just switch around the teams after the draft from the original 09 ROM??

Yeah, NOSE can do that. I meant the rule change and goalie movement hacks were hard or not feasible.

Edited by smozoma

Just as long as the crappy ROM made by swos and MahaVishnu is NOT USED for this one. God knows they really sucked and smoked something hard when they made it.

Just as long as the crappy ROM made by swos and MahaVishnu is NOT USED for this one. God knows they really sucked and smoked something hard when they made it.

The guys are from Finland, let them a chance, they don't get to see NHL action as much as we do.

I love your respect for the hardwork they put on that rom. Stop crying everywhere cause of your bad 94/09 season

I created a trapezoid patch a while ago, but the goalie is not restricted from traveling beyond it.

Also messed with the goalie behavior a little so that the keeper can hold the puck indefinitely in the 2on2 final rom to reduce the # of stoppages.. Tried to disable icing and was successful but there were alot of oddities that I couldn't figure out.

Most of the stuff you want to do is way beyond my patience to trial and test. But probably isn't impossible.

Been knocking around an idea for a NHL 20XX roms in my head for probably more than a year, but it would be such an undertaking that I never mentioned it before.

Basically a sub forum would be created in the editing section of the forums, and within that master sub forum would be a general sub forum, and a sub forum for every team.

When a player is drafted a topic would be created in a teams forum. When a player is traded his topic would be transplanted into the teams sub forum he was dealt to. I would updated the uniforms logos, banners, splash screens and player card pictures, and members could have a dialog on what ratings an individual player is worthy of.

And periodically (perhaps every 3-4 months and the trade deadline) the rosters would be updated.

Kind of a community service rom where everyone would pitch in and have a vote in how the game looks.

I created a trapezoid patch a while ago, but the goalie is not restricted from traveling beyond it.

Also messed with the goalie behavior a little so that the keeper can hold the puck indefinitely in the 2on2 final rom to reduce the # of stoppages.. Tried to disable icing and was successful but there were alot of oddities that I couldn't figure out.

Most of the stuff you want to do is way beyond my patience to trial and test. But probably isn't impossible.

Been knocking around an idea for a NHL 20XX roms in my head for probably more than a year, but it would be such an undertaking that I never mentioned it before.

Basically a sub forum would be created in the editing section of the forums, and within that master sub forum would be a general sub forum, and a sub forum for every team.

When a player is drafted a topic would be created in a teams forum. When a player is traded his topic would be transplanted into the teams sub forum he was dealt to. I would updated the uniforms logos, banners, splash screens and player card pictures, and members could have a dialog on what ratings an individual player is worthy of.

And periodically (perhaps every 3-4 months and the trade deadline) the rosters would be updated.

Kind of a community service rom where everyone would pitch in and have a vote in how the game looks.

That'd be awesome :D I had a similar thought, where the forums would be used to rate players... but that is beyond what I imagined.

Would you be able to post some info on how you disabled the goalie whistle, in the editing section?