NHL'94 Forums

Sports Game Introduction

The Russian Rocket

Still lovin' the NHL 2001 intro. Especially found it cool that EA used all in-game highlights.

Although 99's never fails to make me wish I was born a decade earlier. "We could be heroes..." sigh...they don't make 'em like that anymo'

Edited by TubaHero

I just wish that whatever they do, they make it skippable. I really hate seeing the same intro clip each time when I just want to get into the game. I've seen the EA logo thousands of times already... and how many times have I seen Dion Phaneuf take a shot at the start of 09, wasting 5 seconds each time...

I like the 94 system. You can hit a button to skip the logo as soon as it's displayed. You have to view it still, but you can skip it quickly so you don't get annoyed waiting for a forced 3 seconds. I mean I know I have to wait ~3 seconds for each bit at the start of NHL09 (xox 360), but I still just sit there and mash the A button until I'm into the menus. It's absurd... Stop wasting my time with intro scenes I've already seen hundreds of times... ;)

Although 99's never fails to make me wish I was born a decade earlier. "We could be heroes..." sigh...they don't make 'em like that anymo'

I don't know. The whole "we could be heroes" song with the black and white footage was actually a Bauer commercial at the time. So this "great" intro was actually just shameless product placement.

That being said, I own this game and loved the intro regardless. I still yell "GREAT SAVE JOSEPH" during road hockey goaltending acrobatics.

Here's an idea for a cool intro...

Take highlight clips from the NHL, and seamlessly morph from actual NHL footage into actual gameplay footage. Obviously you can't do really crazy ones like Ovechkin's goal vs Montreal from last year (because you can't do that in the game.. although apparently you can stickhandle and shoot from your knees in NHL10), but you could do say some nice passing plays and onetimers, some slapshots from the point, some breakaways or penalty shots, dekes through defenders, and so on. It would really highlight the realism of the new game.

I don't know. The whole "we could be heroes" song with the black and white footage was actually a Bauer commercial at the time. So this "great" intro was actually just shameless product placement.

Heh, another reason to wish I was born 10 years earlier...so that I would've actually known that :D.

everyone knows that this one was the best.

It still gives me chills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnCPVrKJiwc

the best part is when the one player slides on the top of the bench!