NHL'94 Forums

An NHL'94 feature film: Game 6 The Movie

I could've sworn you were from Philly.

That's like me making a video of the Sens drafting Daigle.

Haha oh wait, that was an awesome moment. Carry on.

Very nice work. The closeup on Nathalie is hilarious. It even kind of looks like her...

20020609pdnathalie09_230.jpg

Really? I thought that Paul's comment on Jagr, "buying all the blue jean jackets" would be the kicker for Penguins fans.

I could've sworn you were from Philly.

That's like me making a video of the Sens drafting Daigle.

Haha oh wait, that was an awesome moment. Carry on.

I am.

The Penguins in 91, and into the mid 90's, were a different beast.. A lot of my favorite players are on that team: Trottier, Mullen, Lemieux, Coffey, Recchi and Francis. The roster alone makes them one of the best teams of all time; 8 current and future Hall Of Fame members. They're similar to the '02 Red Wings, but different in a sense that the Penguins players were all in their prime (except for Trottier).

This is outstanding. Clock, how long did it take for you to gather all the '94 in game footage needed for the video?

Thanks for sharing this!

-Evan

The game 6 sub-domain has consumed over a Terabyte of traffic 9 or so days since the video has been up.

It's popped up on a lot of blogs and hockey forums, including the Pittsburgh Post Gazette Lose pucks column, and the facebook page of the Pittsburgh Penguins official website.

It was not my intention, as search engines and web crawlers are blocked out of nhl91.com, and I haven't even added the link to the sites main menu, yet. Someone must have visited the forums and sent it through the grape vine..

As to why the video doesn't have any flash controls: I haven't had time to make a flash skin for the video, but I could plug in a generic one.

This is outstanding. Clock, how long did it take for you to gather all the '94 in game footage needed for the video?

Thanks for sharing this!

-Evan

Have to look at the comp properties, but I think it was created in February.

It was done in 1/2 hour increments, gradually over months and in between breaks; can't work on something that tedious for more than an hour or so.

In game footage was all piecemeal and could be compared to stop motion video production. A collection of save states were used in instant replays, and once a play was coordinated with the commentary it was dumped and imported.

Had to split a lot of hairs with the audio and in many cases I removeed words in between sentences if the game footage didn't link up with the commentary. Anyone who has seen the game in it's totality will notice some of the commentary has been spliced and shuffled around to make things seamless. Still, all of the goals are in sequence and are as accurately reproduced as humanly possible.

Here are the real goals from game 6 in a digest highlight video.
The stands-panning footage was recycled a lot, too, and the scoreboard is actually doctored from EA Hockey.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not to mention the Breakaway Forums.

Had an opportunity to do a interview with Yahoo! Sports preeminent NHL blogger Puckdaddy, too, but I declined.

Kept seeing flashes of Bettman with his gumshoe attorneys with the FBI warning from VCR tapes, and there I am alongside Jim Balsillie in silhouette with my voice altered in a Lifetime original T.V. movie, explaining how Gary Bettman destroyed my life.

• 4 months later...
Had an opportunity to do a interview with Yahoo! Sports preeminent NHL blogger Puckdaddy too.

Declined after I realized how closely the NHL follows his every word.

I have emailed them a couple times plugging nhl94.com, because Wyshnyski mentions the game all the time, and I figured a feature on the website would be nice summer filler. He obviously never did. Now I know why.

• 2 weeks later...
Had an opportunity to do a interview with Yahoo! Sports preeminent NHL blogger Puckdaddy too.

Declined after I realized how closely the NHL follows his every word.

Jesus, usually I'd admire your modesty, but, really?-- That was your big shot to say something meaningful to the whole NHL world... It could have been anything and it didn't even have to be about hockey. When Puckdaddy asks you about how old you were in 1991, you could have said "George Bush doesn't care about white people!" or something like that.

Those of us who live under the radar, working 9-5 in the trenches, barely making ends meat, would kill for our chance to make a snide comment to puckdaddy or tell some random joke or say something that makes no sense or make a political statement. But you passed it up...

• 3 months later...

I have emailed them a couple times plugging nhl94.com, because Wyshnyski mentions the game all the time, and I figured a feature on the website would be nice summer filler. He obviously never did. Now I know why.

The night of July 4th 2007, Halifax created the http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=3640"]Active NHL'94 Players List, a post with the most that deserved a toast.. On July 8th 2008, Greg Wyshynski posted http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/The-few-the-proud-the-remaining-active-players;_ylt=Am7BarmknD.sus6Zfg_e1Nl.ppJ4?urn=nhl,92647"]The Few, The Proud, The Remaining Active Players From NHL'94. He subsequently posted a link to the http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Puck-Headlines-Rest-in-peace-Teeder-Kennedy?urn=nhl,183034"]Roenick wallpaper I created several years ago.

Coincidence?

"....scored since the the eighth-grade picnic...."

"....wants to sell my monkey...."

"....a touchdown...."

and one from Clocky: "....concent."