NHL'94 Forums

NHL 94: the geriatric years

This image of an old man appeared in my head. He was in a big white room nurturing a controller surrounded by other old people, men and women.

All with joysticks and other electronic gaming devices hooked up to t.v.'s. And this one guy..This one guy had a Pc. All moded up and hooked up to his hover round power wheel chair playing against some other decrepit old fart in NHL 94...When I realized this guy was me. There I was..50 years in the future, in a retirement home ..My hair all bloomed gray. My fingers with a permanent ( C ) button imprint from chronic gaming..Battling against other senior gamers..Playing for the rights to my adversary's prune juice and granola bars for the week.

Is that how it's gonna be? Playing 94 and other games well into our golden years? I don't envision myself letting up anytime soon.

I'm def not stopping anytime soon.. maybe we'll have an over 40 league soon haha.

-Evan

I don't think it'll stop. People tend to think of trends and entertainment as it relates to age, but tendancies don't correlate with age so much as they relate to what the person grew up with. It seems strange that people our age will play video games when we're 70, but it probably seemed crazy that baby boomers & pre-baby boomers would still listen to young music like the Beatles & Elvis for so long.

My grandparents liked the same hobbies they liked when they were young until they died. My parents still like the same hobbies they liked when they were young. I don't see why our generation would be any different.

This game is proof that good gameplay is the most important thing for games. There are better looking games out there but I never found another hockey game that felt so good.

When I was playing Team Fortress Classic (a Half-Life mod) I was in a clan where one of the members was 42 yrs old ;) Family and all that.. And over at fortress-forever.com there are plenty of older guys.. Guess many of them started playing back in the Quake days :D It's pretty common that older people play nowadays, seems like it anyway. And I'm 24 btw heh

• 6 months later...