NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 urban legends

jrodimus

Stemming from Donny's post about player's pass receiving abilities, I thought I'd make a post about weird things you guys have noticed while playing.

For example, I'm convinced that the final second of a period is longer than the others-I can't tell you how many times I've been scored on with one(or zero) seconds remaining- because I didn't think my opponent possibly had enough time to score.

Feel free to post your thoughts on any bizarre observances(real or imagined) you've had about the game :mellow:

I firmly believe that using your timeout...slows the momentum of the other team.

I used it more than anyone...my rule of thumb....if your opponent scores two in a row...time for a time out...unless your up by more than 2 at the time.

I believe in a lot about faceoffs

I always think that the game has the faceoff planed out before the puck drops because you can win a faceoff without even trying to

also i always think if you take a timeout you automaticly win the next faceoff

Has anybody else noticed that when a player is supposedly "hot" he has an off game?

Many times my hot player shoots wide at empty nets and stays in the penalty box.

I've also pulled many a hot goalie :mellow:

Edited by jrodimus

I always think the Hot people do better.. thats why it is annoying as hell when flamer pavel skips it

this

I find that annoying as hell too, like wtf it takes 2 seconds max.

The hot guys tend to take more penalties thats for sure, they must be wired up on crack before the game.

Ok, how bout this one: a player's faceoff success rate depends on whether he's a natural center(per the default version of the game)

I'd almost buy into that, but I got Russ Courtnall at 61.8% and I think Carse has Fleury at 54.8% in GDL.

Faceoff's just seem pretty random but who the hell knows.

i always tought that dwarves are better at faceoffs in the classic rom and trolls are better in the weight fix rom, no?

Players who use a keyboard have an advantage when it comes to ramming the goalie into the net for a goal.

(Maybe I should change the title of this thread to Jrod's urban legends)

yaa for sure?

Keyboard has numerous advantages over gamepad. The ablilty to use two fingers to control 2 different directions at the same time, makes it easier to deke and pass goals are also easier. I wish i could use keyboard, but im too confused without gamepad.

Keyboard has numerous advantages over gamepad. The ablilty to use two fingers to control 2 different directions at the same time, makes it easier to deke and pass goals are also easier. I wish i could use keyboard, but im too confused without gamepad.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I firmly believe that using your timeout...slows the momentum of the other team.

I'm totally with you on this one. Usually I'll do it just to try and disrupt the flow of the game (meaning the other team has all the flow) though I don't think I'd ever do this during an online match. More just during a friendly game.

-Evan

When you're using teams in the weight bug rom, Sometimes you do better and sometimes you just f*** it up. To go with the original lineup or not to go? That is the question.

When there's a puck sliding down to your goal, you expect an easy save. It's catchable and there's no harm done, but just to be sure you hit the C button to save and when you least expect it...

THAT @#$%&! PUCK JUST SLIDES UNDER YOU AND THE OTHER TEAM HAS SCORED!!!!

It happens sometimes and even in lob shots when you 'catch' it, the goalie seems to fumble the shot and it goes in anyway! The first one it happened to me and I was using Belfour. Such a thing can shock you and turn a game around.

Then there's the bugs that let you score in certain times. Those are proven myths.

• 2 weeks later...

Some centers are able to win an overwhelming majority of faceoffs by mashing the speedburst button rapidly instead of attempting to draw the puck.

I'm not sure if its connected to speed or weight or some combination of both but I am almost positive of this.

Also if you use this technique when going up the screen it is even more likely to work and from the bottom faceoff circles.

I have played games before where I didnt lose even one faceoff from the bottom faceoff circles by using this tactic.

pretty sure I didn't imagine it

I've always felt that my computerized teammates mimic my playing style during a particular game. For example, if I'm hooking the hell out of my opponent, my AI guys will be more likely to hook/hold.

I noticed this during a Blitz exhi against Zalex recently where all I tried to do was knock his players into oblivion-It seemed like my whole team was out for blood-I think I hurt like 7 of his players

Conversely, if I'm scrambling all over the place my guys will run around like the special Olympics Ice Hockey team.

• 4 weeks later...

I always feel that making substitutions before a gm and sticking with that line is the best way to go...rather than constantly tweaking it during the game, I think it disrupts chemistry of the team. Playing with a deep team like Calgary, Quebec or MTL can mess with your brain and not let you play your best hockey. Since there so many guys to substitute in the gm, you feel compelled to give everyone a chance to play, you never know what the best lineup is, sometimes you just overmanage and forget you just gotta play the gm. By the time you figure it out, you may be losing the gm.

Edited by marcusmaximus

I always feel that making substitutions before a gm and sticking with that line is the best way to go...rather than constantly tweaking it during the game, I think it disrupts chemistry of the team. Playing with a deep team like Calgary, Quebec or MTL can mess with your brain and not let you play your best hockey. Since there so many guys to substitute in the gm, you feel compelled to give everyone a chance to play, you never know what the best lineup is, sometimes you just overmanage and forget you just gotta play the gm. By the time you figure it out, you may be losing the gm.

hokkee and swos do it just fine, since they've been at it a longer while than I have. I usually stick to my guns or just apply the right changes when I play.

For the best substitutions, just check AJ's suggestions, which he has started from the ground up.

Moving your goalie forward can make your opponent's shot go totally wide?

Or sideways if they go for the one-timer. It goes flying out of the rink when you do.

I actually think this could be true

When a goalie comes out farther he takes away more of the net

Edited by nationals1

This may be a fluke, but its so damn easy to win the Cup as Hartford. I've done it five times. I've even won once as TB and once as SJ. As TB, I swept DET and as SJ, I somehow swept MTL. AS HFD, I beat my namesake team B), yet DAL somehow sucks? Wtf?

This may be a fluke, but its so damn easy to win the Cup as Hartford. I've done it five times. I've even won once as TB and once as SJ. As TB, I swept DET and as SJ, I somehow swept MTL. AS HFD, I beat my namesake team :P, yet DAL somehow sucks? Wtf?

But then, after playing with real people the game becomes pretty easy. For a real challenge, try finishing it with Anaheim or Ottawa. The Islanders could count since Healy or Fitzpatrick aren't exactly world class goalies.

But then, after playing with real people the game becomes pretty easy. For a real challenge, try finishing it with Anaheim or Ottawa. The Islanders could count since Healy or Fitzpatrick aren't exactly world class goalies.

You've inspired me. I think I'll start a playoff series with Ottawa.

I remember doing a full best of 7 playoffs with Quebec about 10 years ago and I manually tracked the player stats... good times. I remember watching lots of replays so I could add the assists that sometimes don't get counted for whatever reason.

I remember doing a full best of 7 playoffs with Quebec about 10 years ago and I manually tracked the player stats... good times. I remember watching lots of replays so I could add the assists that sometimes don't get counted for whatever reason.

wow thats some serious commitment right there

I remember doing a full best of 7 playoffs with Quebec, probably in 1995ish, with 20-minute periods and line changes... It was truly epic... several players with over 100 points.. getting angry every time my goalie passed randomly to one of their players instead of to my guy in the direction I was holding, causing a goal (probably about half my goals against where scored this way...)