NHL'94 Forums

NHL94 Online website update! Spring 09 Season Stats are Up and More!

chaos

Hello everyone,

Since I was stuck in the house all day being sick, I have uploaded the Spring 2009 Classic season stats to the NHL94online.com website.

The front page has been updated displaying the season champions as well. To access the stats, just use the League Selection menu in the menu bar and choose the Spring 09 season.

On a side note, I have added an All-Time Stats Page HERE. Of course, right now only Spring 08 and Spring 09 Stats are included, but whenever a game is logged, the All-Time Stats are updated. Almost everything is sortable, except for Playoff W-L Records and Home and Away records right now (I have to work some magic to get those to function - some other time). There is also a User Search, which will highlight whatever user you choose - good for checking up on yourself and others! CHECK IT OUT!!! You can also access the page under the "Stats" sub-menu (NOTE: You might need to clear your cookies and cache on your web browser if you don't see the sub-menu).

Also, I have changed the Update User Profile page to make it a little more friendly. You must enter your current username and password and hit the button, then all of your current information will show up. Change what you would like to change, then hit the Submit button. If anyone has issues, please let me know via PM or a forum post.

I plan on having a Records page, which will show the most Goals scored by one team in a game, largest deficit (blowouts), most Championships, Most goals scored by both teams in a game, probably some season stats (best GAA, best GFA, most wins, etc.). This should be coming in a week or so.

As for Classic Fall 2009, I will post the Team Selections and the Schedule Layout on Monday. Season start date will follow soon.

Thanks everyone for your patience. I also would like to thank Statto for helping me with the Spring 09 stats.

Edited by chaos

Chaos,

This is solid stuff, great work! The all-time stats page is really useful as you mentioned and the updated edit profile page is cleaner. Thanks for all the work done. You're really helping to make the site what everyone was hoping it would be.

-Evan

Chaos,

Do you anticipate also adding statistics for prior seasons before Spring 2008? Just curious. Thank you for all your hard work, it is much appreciated.

Yes, they will all be up there. I have all the stats from previous seasons, just need to convert them to be used in the new database. I wanted to get the more recent seasons up first. Probably in a few weeks or so I can put up the earlier seasons.

all-time stats should really really be split up by league level and console.

home/away points sorting...

the way my db is set up (and hopefully yours is similar so this is useful), the GameStats (team/opponent/goals for/goals against/won/lost/tied..) for each game are in the db twice... once for the home team, and once for the away team. i also have a 'wasHome' true/false flag. to tally the home-points, i go ABS(SUM(2*wasHome*Win)+SUM(1*wasHome*tie)) as HomePts.

the wasHome flag has a value of -1 if true (in MS Access), so you can multiply by it..

hope that helps.

all-time stats should really really be split up by league level and console.

home/away points sorting...

the way my db is set up (and hopefully yours is similar so this is useful), the GameStats (team/opponent/goals for/goals against/won/lost/tied..) for each game are in the db twice... once for the home team, and once for the away team. i also have a 'wasHome' true/false flag. to tally the home-points, i go ABS(SUM(2*wasHome*Win)+SUM(1*wasHome*tie)) as HomePts.

the wasHome flag has a value of -1 if true (in MS Access), so you can multiply by it..

hope that helps.

The reason why I can't sort them at this moment is because they are saved as a string and not separate fields. I saw that the old database did it this way and thought it as a good idea. I originally had them as separate fields and think at some point I might go back to this if I can't figure out an easy way with the way it is right now. i was thinking of separating by wins and losses, not by points.

The way the game is saved is different than the way you do it. Each game is saved once, with a home team id and an away team id which reference a team table. There is a separate table for the standings. I originally had thought about it the way you describe, but chose this way instead.

As for the league level and console splitting, I can see a reason for the console splitting, but the league levels will vary from league to league. Some leagues can have a GENS-A for instance, and some might have a GENS-A/B, where teams play against both "A and B" level teams.

The end goal of the website is to be able to host any created league, not just Classic leagues. And within this goal is a lot of flexibility for creating a league, thus there being different league levels per different leagues, as well as different points given out for different outcomes of games (W,L,T,OTL,OTW) depending on what the league creator would like. That's why there is no all time stats for points.

Thanks for your input smoz. When it comes to databases, you sure know what you are doing. The Blitz league is a great example of that!