NHL'94 Forums

SJ steps down

Carse

Hey Carse,

Sorry to hear San Jose hasn't worked out for you, but you've played enough games for the first checkpoint. So, you have about a month before being replaced. Hopefully, you'll reconsider before then and continue to play.

come on dude, whats a few losses?

San Jose > Ottawa

You just have to figure out the strengths of SJ.

berezan-gaudreau-falloon

wilkinson-wilson

irbe

learn them, love them, kill with them.

P.S. What guy in his right mind would step into A league as a replacement with San Jose anyways?

mehhh sj= otw id say

but look at the field.. only dudes not w unreal team is ice sebe and skoolyard with dal bos and que.. not really helpful cause those guys are still good players

That's a real shame that you are bowing out because of the stats in the game. I promise you that you do not know the ultimate satisfaciton and nhl 94 salvation until you destroy a player with a more more highly ranked team than yourself. That honour comes with pure, unadulterated skill and if you considered working at it, rather than quitting a few games into the season, you might jsut get it :P

I feel the same way and im Pittsburgh my record in Gens-C is beyond brutal even though I got a very good team and Mario.

but im not giving up, im just practicing so I get better and waiting for the day I get my first win

I feel the same way and im Pittsburgh my record in Gens-C is beyond brutal even though I got a very good team and Mario.

but im not giving up, im just practicing so I get better and waiting for the day I get my first win

I love this fellow...he reminds me of me :P

Hey Mav, ummmm this just in, Pittsburgh blows in gens due to weight bug. Unless you're adept at one timers, they're not very good at all.

Is it too late to let Carse swap teams with one not taken, and keep his current record?

Hey Mav, ummmm this just in, Pittsburgh blows in gens due to weight bug. Unless you're adept at one timers, they're not very good at all.

now someone tells me. GODAMMIT

gimme sharks, il try to win a game

Actually for San Jose I would go with this line first:

L - Carter (depending on the day this position could be several players)

C - Berezan

R - Gaudreau

D - Wilson

D - Pederson

G - Irbe but they're all pretty bad

I know this line sounds strange but it works for me. Carse I'd say try to just play the season out and maybe use it to learn the team better. I was a bit suprised you chose SJ in the first place. Maybe take a break and play some practice games. As Halifax said you have some time before the next checkpoint.

-Evan

Is it too late to let Carse swap teams with one not taken, and keep his current record?

ice u sand baggin son of'a b***h, this is your fault for giving me false hope w sj ;) That would be unreal if I could do that though.

Actually for San Jose I would go with this line first:

L - Carter (depending on the day this position could be several players)

C - Berezan

R - Gaudreau

D - Wilson

D - Pederson

G - Irbe but they're all pretty bad

I know this line sounds strange but it works for me. Carse I'd say try to just play the season out and maybe use it to learn the team better. I was a bit suprised you chose SJ in the first place. Maybe take a break and play some practice games. As Halifax said you have some time before the next checkpoint.

-Evan

Thats not too bad of a line either, my only issue with it is that you turn a team with mediocre speed into a very slow team (carter and Pederson have very poor skating).

In my experience from using Ottawa and Tampa in classic play, I always tried to keep in mind that i needed some semblance of speed. For instance, Tampa has only 1 skater with 4+ speed, Mikael Andersson, he was a staple in the lineup, he had to be, otherwise i had no speed anywhere. I realzie Dimaio is sexy with his 5 weight and 3/3 skating. But when push came to shove, I needed someone, anyone to push the game speed wise, Andersson's 4/2 skating gave me straight line speed that had to be respected.

Same goes with Turgeon on Ottawa, again, the only 4+ speed guy on the team. Turgeon, was a staple, and i benched kudelski most games even though he was the teams best pure shooter. the team was too heavy with turgeon and kudelski (both 9's). So I would typically go turgeon-baker-lamb/smail/lazaro/boschman, depending on ratings for a given game.

Also, speed on the backline is very key. You simply cant underestimate the abilty to have a 3/3 skater on D. With tampa id bench beers and use bergevin, both were 3/3 skaters, but bergevin had 6 weight while beers had 9. I sacraficed dimaio for andersson, so i needed to regain that weight advantage somewhere. So i would sacrafice beers marginal offensive skills and weak checking for bergevins pathetic offense and solid checking. I had no use for an offensive defenseman with tampa, so i used the pieces i had to make it atleast defensively sound hamrlik-bergevin, two guys who could skate somewhat and werent fat.

Mixing and matching is very key with these weak teams, Carter and Pedersen, have great checking ability yes, and they can take a licking. But they simply provide little help in games against elite players with elite teams. Bure, is just going to blow by Pedersen, and Roenick will steam roll right through him. Pedersen also has no puck skills and no awareness, thats a tough sell to make when you need guys who have to be in position if they have skating issues.

I like the line i mentioned earlier for SJ, berezan-gaudreau-falloon, its weight is decent 7-6-7, there are two 4/4 skaters, so no matter which winger has the puck, the tempo can be pushed. gaudreau gives you respectable 3/3 shooting, while maintaining 3/3 skating. kisio has the better shot, 3/4, but his 2/2 skating makes it tricky to get into scoring position. I Also prefer wilkinson-wilson because wilkinson has 4 passing and 4 d aware, hes a solid stay at home guy who can dish off a solid outlet pass to the streaking winger, that is huge. Wilson, everyone knows his skill set and its neccessary to have him on the ice. Ozolinsh works fine as well, but he has lower aware and lower passing i think, his shot at 3/3 is good, but his duty isnt to score, so why have the shot on the ice? The defence also carries a respectable 7-7 weight, poke checking will be needed, but they arent liable to get crushed by anyone and everyone when they have the puck.

Mix and match these pieces if need be, garpenlov can play some wing, more and ozolinsh can sub in on D, if you need one flyweight, then use either pedersen or carter, but never both as it kills team speed far too much.

Boy...that turned into a big rant didnt it?

Maybe we should make a thread about it, especially if there are some that have to use or experiment with the mediocre or weak teams.

Maybe we should make a thread about it, especially if there are some that have to use or experiment with the mediocre or weak teams.

id be more than happy to share my views on that topic if people let me know they were willing to read it

They should want to see what's up. I mean, if not now, when? It's in their best interests to do so.

I could give you some ideas tuba but since both of us are at the s**t end of the stick I rather not since w'ell end playing against each other

Well, since I'm 1-12 I may as well ask...do you have any suggestions for the Nords, AJ?

make sure you're using kovalenko. 3 weight, 4 speed. wrecking ball.... not the brightest of players, but pretty effective. sundin and sakic, of course. not sure who's on D..

if kovalenko isn't working, then try Kamensky. He's slow and fat, but has a rocket 5/3 slap shot, if you can find the time and space to get it off.

Edited by smozoma

Then Owen Nolan gets the shaft? I thought he's also pretty good and isn't a bad speedster.

Duchesne and Leschishyn are the starters, but they're heavy. B) I usually use Adam Foote and Alexei Gusarov, since they're not bad at all. But that's your decision.

Then Owen Nolan gets the shaft? I thought he's also pretty good and isn't a bad speedster.

Duchesne and Leschishyn are the starters, but they're heavy. B) I usually use Adam Foote and Alexei Gusarov, since they're not bad at all. But that's your decision.

Nolan's the same speed and weight as Kamensky, but isn't as dangerous (average shot).

He's way fatter than Kovalenko, so he can't check as well, and though they have the same speed rating, lower weight makes guys accelerate and turn faster.