NHL'94 Forums

nhl 94 in HD?

LOLOL 1080P, 16 BITS

Try render: kreed in gens settings, thats what i use...BUT HD LOL

Edited by Freydey

not without re-writing the emulator... and the game... soooo no.

you can, however, use the render/resizing filters, which try to scale the graphics in a nice way. some are decent.. like 2xSai Kreed or something. Different emulators give more options, so try more emulators until you find one with a render filter you like.

wasnt my idea just read this over at operationsports...scroll down to number 1

http://www.operationsports.com/feature.php?id=947

I just pasted what was in that link:

1. NHL 94

If you’re still not convinced that reintroducing old games with online play can work, look no further than nhl94.com. Through the beauty of emulation, an entire community has sprung up around this classic, complete with online leagues, tournaments and even instructions on how to make your own edits to the game. Trouble is, for those of us less technically inclined (or just plain lazy), the prospect of delving into the whole emulation scene can be enough of a barrier to entry to prevent us from ever experiencing NHL 94 online. But if EA were to re-release the game on Xbox Live and PSN, suddenly everything would get a whole lot more appealing. And it’s not like EA hasn’t done this before -- they included NHL 94 on the PlayStation 2 version of NHL 06. All we ask is that EA take it one step further and give it to us as a download. If the developers want to throw in HD sprites while they’re at it, we won’t complain.

I know this idea is bouncing around the game world constantly. I'm positive we'll see something in our lifetime that is a "remake" of nhl94 with online play.

-Evan

I know this idea is bouncing around the game world constantly. I'm positive we'll see something in our lifetime that is a "remake" of nhl94 with online play.

-Evan

If(when?) it ever does happen, you'll have a boom of new members joining the community!

• 5 months later...

If EA aren't interested I'm sure if you contacted an indie developer, some kind of remake could be conjured up. Look what BomberGames did with the Streets of Rage remake - a game that's utterly true to the look and feel of the old SoR games, but with some great extras thrown in. For NHL94, the plan would be obvious - online game lobbies, teams from multiple eras, bugfixes - but, fundamentally, nothing that is going to majorly change the way that the game plays.

I would be pretty ecstatic with a remake which just added these things, gave optimisation for modern PCs (resolutions, etc.) and nothing else.

• 3 weeks later...

Odd. Genesis doesn't output 480, 720, or 1080((i)p). Likewise can be said for any cartridge based console. This is true even when upscaled through a SCART to HDMI converter, or RGB component box; max res is still 320x224 SDTV.

And it looks like that emu only works with a Sonic 2 rom.

Odd. Genesis doesn't output 480, 720, or 1080((i)p). Likewise can be said for any cartridge based console. This is true even when upscaled through a SCART to HDMI converter, or RGB component box; max res is still 320x224 SDTV.

And it looks like that emu only works with a Sonic 2 rom.

It's just using something like like Eagle/sai/etc scaling (tries to turn pixelated graphics into smooth lines), but optimized for tv sizes instead of just integer multiples of the original 320x224..

EDIT:

hm, it also has a lense flare effect? I don't know what that's for... neat, i guess!

MORE:

From the Gens/GS page:

"A parody version of the emulator, Gens/GS S2HD Edition, was released to mock the high overhead and bad effects of modern-day emulation compilations and poor-quality "HD" remakes. "

It takes 500mb of RAM to load, and the lens flare is just up in the corner uselessly.. april fools i guess <_<

Edited by smozoma

is it possible to give the game more pixels or something to give it a cleaner look...not that i think it looks bad...just something a little more detailed?

Actually, this is not as far fetched as it may seem. I did the Tecmo Super Bowl SNES version in a cleaner, crisper fashion.post-3043-1273110031_thumb.png

post-3043-1273110080_thumb.png

I cleaned up virtually every pixel to almost every single animation. I inserted NES player sprites and totally re-did the entire games pallette, to achieve the "HD" look. So, this could definitely be done, just very, very, time consuming. ;)

Actually, this is not as far fetched as it may seem. I did the Tecmo Super Bowl SNES version in a cleaner, crisper fashion.post-3043-1273110031_thumb.png

post-3043-1273110080_thumb.png

I cleaned up virtually every pixel to almost every single animation. I inserted NES player sprites and totally re-did the entire games pallette, to achieve the "HD" look. So, this could definitely be done, just very, very, time consuming. ;)

I'm not seeing the HD connection here.. it's still 256x224 pixels, regardless of how nice the sprites and colours are. Maybe you can optimize the graphics for the resize filters, but still..

Edited by smozoma