NHL'94 Forums

Blitz round 1 protect? :(

nationals1

For the most part, guys try to protect their best players in order to have a balanced team. Although you can try to get trades for a good player you may want.

I just heard a rumor that this is true...?

why!

the worst player should get the best player!

shaft is good and he still gets lemiuex?

EDIT: There was a trade for Lemieux, and he's arguably not the best player.

Edited by The Russian Rocket

I just heard a rumor that this is true...?

why!

the worst player should get the best player!

Don't forget that Shaftman traded an arm and a leg last draft to get Lemieux. He actually had the 7th pick.

Anyway, over time, the way the draft works really favours the teams who do worse.

The first round has been alternating back and forth each draft. Last season it was a free first round.. this season you get to keep your star (unless you trade him). This creates a 'personality' for each team, instead of wiping all the teams and starting from scratch each season.

After 2 drafts, if you're a coach near the bottom of your league, you'll accumulate an early 1st round pick AND an early 2nd round pick (one through protection, the other through drafting).

The exception to this is if you were an expansion coach. As an expansion coach, it takes 3 drafts to build that up, but you'll still have a late 1st, an early 2nd, AND an early 3rd in your 2nd season, so you'll have good depth. Also, if you were an expansion coach, your first draft was probably pretty rough, so you actually tend to lose fewer players during the draft, so that also helps depth.

I know the draft system isn't perfect, it's a bit convoluted, but over time it works out so the good players have less depth than the bad ones. The draft is designed to keep the standings close, slowly shifting the better players over to the weaker coaches.

(However, I am thinking of mixing it up in an upcoming season, so the good coaches don't get sick of having an average 'star')

Edited by smozoma

Yesss...I Risked a lot getting lemieux and managed to pull through with some good trades.

The only reason I did it, was because I knew I would have him again in blitz 4.

If its any consolation...after 3 seasons with Lemieux he will be a free agent again.

ahhh damn

i was really hoping to get a good pick

i think i woulda had like 8th pick soo i coulda got like selanne or someone like that

You already have Bure :) They're not too different, and then you'll get a good 2nd round pick.

ya... i guess

ask meatskid what his thoughts are :)

yeah, i was looking at his team, and it could be tough for him because he didn't draft well this season. still, he'll have like a top 3 pick at the 2nd best player on all teams, and that'll still be a good player because a few teams have 2 top-notch guys. And I bet he'll get to keep whoever his 2nd best player from last year was. He'll definitely improve his team.

Obviously, I'm slightly upset with this decision. Let me just get this out of my system before we move on.

F***ING ASS C*** F***ER B**** DICK F*** F*** F*** S*** MONKEY ASS DAMN BIIIIIIIITCH!!!

...ah. Now, beyond that, I can see why this is a good system to keep a little team identity going, and I'm at least thankful I'll get a high 2nd round/whatever the first free round is pick. Plus, I'm kinda fond of Adam Oates, so it'll be nice to maybe guarantee him a spot on this team.

So yeah, I'm sad I won't get a franchise guy, but I can see why this is kinda sorta good for the league.

F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F***!!!!!!!

Obviously, I'm slightly upset with this decision. Let me just get this out of my system before we move on.

F***ING ASS C*** F***ER B**** DICK F*** F*** F*** S*** MONKEY ASS DAMN BIIIIIIIITCH!!!

...ah. Now, beyond that, I can see why this is a good system to keep a little team identity going, and I'm at least thankful I'll get a high 2nd round/whatever the first free round is pick. Plus, I'm kinda fond of Adam Oates, so it'll be nice to maybe guarantee him a spot on this team.

So yeah, I'm sad I won't get a franchise guy, but I can see why this is kinda sorta good for the league.

F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F*** F***!!!!!!!

(NSFW LANGUAGE VIDEO)

lol jk TubaHero actually i wish i could get my hands on a superstar too for finishing so low too

Yeah, sometimes you have to get lucky when getting a marquee player, since the other guys will go Cerberus and keep the ones they deem necessary as a building block for the rest of the team they might get. I was lucky enough to get Chelios as my first pick,

protected Gretzky

and had to try and build from there.

Of course, don't neglect guys that are above 70 overall. Some guys like Brind'Amour can get the job done.

Edited by RedWingDevil

Yeah, sometimes you have to get lucky when getting a marquee player, since the other guys will go Cerberus and keep the ones they deem necessary as a building block for the rest of the team you might get. I was lucky enough to get Chelios as my first pick,

protected Gretzky

and have to try and build from there.

Of course, don't neglect guys that are above 70 overall. Some guys like Brind'Amour can get the job done.

I often find myself laying awake at night wondering what RedWingDevil's native language is.. if he is a computer, a french canadian butchering english, or just more out of his mind than zalex and clockwise combined. The truth will never be known, but it makes me wonder

I often find myself laying awake at night wondering what RedWingDevil's native language is.. if he is a computer, a french canadian butchering english, or just more out of his mind than zalex and clockwise combined. The truth will never be known, but it makes me wonder

i think its spanish, he is from mexico after all...sadly, i understand almost every word that guy says, its the type of english i hear on a daily basis.

Yeah, sometimes you have to get lucky when getting a marquee player, since the other guys will go Cerberus and keep the ones they deem necessary as a building block for the rest of the team they might get. I was lucky enough to get Chelios as my first pick,

protected Gretzky

and had to try and build from there.

ARE YOU ONCRACK, "LUCKY ENOUGH" TO PICK CHELIOS 4TH OVERALL !!!?!@?!@!????

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

WHAT IN THE FUCKKKKKKKKKK!!

ARE YOU ONCRACK, "LUCKY ENOUGH" TO PICK CHELIOS 4TH OVERALL !!!?!@?!@!????

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

WHAT IN THE FUCKKKKKKKKKK!!

yes iceguy also told me last year that my 2nd rounder (which i could trade since i was an expansion team) for brian bellows was a good trade

I almost did it!

but then i proceeded to take a much better player in Gary Suter

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

:P

tip for carse: TACO

Edited by Zalex

ITS ESPANIOL

LOOOL I'm not a drafting guru by any means, but how on earth did Chris Chelios make a top 5 pick? He's a good defenseman, but in a weight fixed rom, his weight advantage is pretty neutral I would expect. Do commishs ever veto picks/trades if they are horrible or yield unfair compensation for a party?

LOOOL I'm not a drafting guru by any means, but how on earth did Chris Chelios make a top 5 pick? He's a good defenseman, but in a weight fixed rom, his weight advantage is pretty neutral I would expect. Do commishs ever veto picks/trades if they are horrible or yield unfair compensation for a party?

IF THE COMISH TRIED TO VETO TRADES HOKKEE WOULD GO ON A KILLING SPREE

I wanted a hitter on the blueline and a hard shooter as well, so Chelios panned out, at least for me. If you don't want a d-man with these characteristics, I'd call you a liar.

Bad thing is that I speak my English better than I write it on the keyboard. Speed typing can be a curse.

Gotta agree with habs et al. -- Chelios is good, but not a first round pick. He can't hit well enough to be a 1st-rounder (iafrate was still there, who both hits and shoots way better)

Note that Chelios's season 3 stats are not much different than Lidstrom's stats on iceguy's team, and Lidstrom was his 7th *round* pick.

With more carefully thought out picking, I think iceguy has the potential to do really well in "B". He did make the playoffs last season, even with a bust 1st pick.

Edited by smozoma

Why would yo pick Chris Chelious when you can still pick UWE KRUUPPP

We've been kinda dumping on IceGuy's picks, so I'd like to say his picks of bellows and brind'amour were pretty good. i'd say they're both potential 3rd-rounders, and he got them in the 4th and 5th rounds.

Edited by smozoma

Do commishs ever veto picks/trades if they are horrible or yield unfair compensation for a party?

Draft picks, no.

Trades, yes, because one coach is taking advantage of another and getting an unfair advantage on all the other coaches who aren't ripping the other guy off.

Trades, yes, because one coach is taking advantage of another and getting an unfair advantage on all the other coaches who aren't ripping the other guy off.

I disagree.

If my persuasion skills as a GM are better then everyone elses, And I manage to pull off some crazy deal, then I should be able to keep it.