NHL'94 Forums

NHL '91 (full scale '94 edit) and new NHL '91.com

clockwise

UPDATED MARCH 10TH 2009

Before I go into a launch sequence about the game and site details I want to say:

Tremendous thanks to wboy for helping me earn my paper napkin NHL '94 hax0rz deploma.

It's probably unwize to embark on a '94 editing project and try to edit everything in the game with no prior experience editing the graphics, hex and other things, but wboy helped me every step of the way..From the player cards, to the intro screens, crease, logos, and everything else.

wboy was like my own Chubbs..All I had to do was tap it in.

Everone knows his vast knowledge of the game but his generosity in helping others learn is even more impressive.

In return for his help I will help others with their editing projects in the future. And vow to never use the, "That's not a knife..This is a knife." joke while handling cutlery ever again.

To keep this from sounding like an acceptance speech I'll just say thanks to everone else who helped me.

Thanks.

I had entertained doing a '94 project in the past and knew that if I did one I would have to be able to edit just about everything the game. Once wboy released his 30 team rom with decompressed graphics I decided to give it a go.

When slecting which season to base my edit on I knew I wanted it to be in an high scoring era before goalies started looking like bomb technicians.

Going through stats and history on the net the '90-'91 season caught my eye...

The musical stylings of "Oates and Hull" in St. Louis with Brett's 87 goal campaign (a feat only topped by Gretzky), the North Stars improbable run to the finals, Messier in Edmonton, Jersey's X-Mas unis and the different rosters (in comparison to '94) among other things sold me on using the '90-'91 season.

I also knew that if I had difficulity locating details like jersey numbers or handedness for certain players that I could fall back on NHL Hockey or NHLPA '93.

Features

- 23 NHL teams including All-Stars

- More than 450 players from the '90-'91 season:

- Player ratings were festidiouly checked and based on, '90-'91 season totals, season totals prior and after '90-'91, career totals, and the EA hockey series on Genesis.

- Team Ratings are based on: the teams over all record, total points at the duration of the season, teams playoff performance, GA average and GF average

- New menu screens.

- Player skates: 1 point for Genesis

- '90-'91 uniforms based on NHL Uniforms.com and NOSE's color sniper

- '90-'91 style goal crease / net

- '90-'91 style ice and menu logos

- '90-'91 player card photos for all 6 starters of every club

- Every player now has a player card pic, thats 500+

- Russian Elite teams from the 1990-1991 Super Series

- Hockey tape and sprite edit patch I did was added

- Swos's bench area

- Player #'s and names fixed

- Goalie and player rating overhaul

- Evan's player circle icon

- Tony's speed burst multplier find was added to make it harded to chase down breakaways

- NHL '95 PC style puck

Pics

Click for the gallery

More in game pics, uniforms pics, game download and other stuff can be found at NHL '91.com

Enjoy and glory to the game.

clockwise, jesus, you are a f**king genious. this is the most beautiful thing that i've ever seen. thanks for keeping the dream alive.

post-646-1176687357_thumb.jpg

hull and oates w/ one- timers? stevens, brindamour? hull a 92 when hot? holy s**t. this is my dream rom. i need to sober up to make sure it's real.

after saying what i've said, i'm absolutely speechless.

congrats on your dedicated effort in producing this awesome rom!... hopefully theres a few more within you! :D

yes... please share the knowledge to those who may ask in posts etc... it'll only help the hacking community grow more... and allow me to quietly slip away! ;)

Played a best out of 7 today with a friend and we had a good time. I won in 6, Oilers over North Stars. So far I really like the way the rosters maintain some variety in them, where there are some real studs at both skaters and goalies. All of the pictures and graphics really put a nice "finish" on this rom. Would love it if someday we get a league going with this release. Stellar work Clockwise.

Cheers for the replys.

There's a few aesthetic things being added that wern't done when I put the game out. I wanted everyone to get a feel for the game and get some feedback before I'm completely finished with it.

- Hockey tape is being added to players sticks -

I'm messing with grey / white to see if it would be better then black. The black tape seems to clash with the puck and cause some confusion where the puck is during mad scrambles and such. I'm interested to hear what people think about which color to use.

- Player card photos for all players -

Another aesthetic thing that I didn't want to keep me from releasing the game. All players (even the 1 game wonders) will have player pics.

- Bench / penalty box area ice removed -

Looks alot better black, just about finished with this.

There's really no sense in putting a different version of the game up every time one of the them are done. The final game will be out once these three things are finished.

Close ups of the team uniforms with their respective team crests are up on the site. If anyone want's to check them out just click on the team here. The rosters for every team will be up on the site when I get time.

ROM is great, just one thing I noticed...Pat LaFontaine is #17 in the game when he was 16

Yes your right. This is because I did the All Star teams first and LaFontaine wore 17 at the All Star game. Once I got to doing NYI roster I pasted his data in NOSE on NYI and forgot to change his # back to 16.

If anyone else finds any grammar errors or anything post them here and I'll fix them.

One thing I do have to say...

After playing with StL, you have to tone down Hulls Shot Accuracy. A 6/6 shot!!! Rediculous

My advice would be make it a 6/4 or something, just slightly better then it is in the original ROM.

One thing I do have to say...

After playing with StL, you have to tone down Hulls Shot Accuracy. A 6/6 shot!!! Rediculous

My advice would be make it a 6/4 or something, just slightly better then it is in the original ROM.

While Brett might not have been the most fleet of foot he's possibly the most pure sniper to ever play the game.

He tallied 87 goals that year, 72 goals the year before and 70 prior. Looking at hockeydb.com he's 3rd all time in goals with 741 over Esposito (5th), Yzerman (8th), and Lemieux ( 9th) etc. And if I remember correctly in an interview during Gretzky's short time in St Louis he said Hull had a better shot than himself but Brett couldn't pass as well.

With the rating system I used the only three players deserving of a 99 shot accuracy were Hull, Lemiuex, and Gretzky.

I agree with you 100% on that analogy, but that problem is having Hull be the JR that is in the original ROM. Ive heard countless stories that you arent allowed to use Chicago because JR is so dominant and he only has a 5/5 shot in the game.

You keep it a 6/6, it just isnt gonna be fair for anyone to use StL because all they will have to do is feed Hull the puck and slap it from anywhere inside the blueline.

If you plan on taking this ROM to an online league, it will be the same case its been in Evan's league about a player being too dominant.

Awwwwww, come on! Just this once?

post-646-1176943468_thumb.jpg

I agree with you 100% on that analogy, but that problem is having Hull be the JR that is in the original ROM. Ive heard countless stories that you arent allowed to use Chicago because JR is so dominant and he only has a 5/5 shot in the game.

You keep it a 6/6, it just isnt gonna be fair for anyone to use StL because all they will have to do is feed Hull the puck and slap it from anywhere inside the blueline.

If you plan on taking this ROM to an online league, it will be the same case its been in Evan's league about a player being too dominant.

It's something I will definitely consider when I'm finished doing all the player cards for the backups.

IMO, I would go 6 power and 5 accuracy for Hull. Roenick is only one of 3 players with 5/5 shots in 94 (Ciccarelli and Sandstrom being the other 2), but what makes Roenick so dominant is his super-lightweight and speed. Neither of those are a factor for Hull, so he will play more like Ciccarelli than Roenick. And really, look at the scoring leaders from that season;

1 Brett Hull, St. Louis............ 86

2 Steve Yzerman, Detroit........... 51

2 Cam Neely, Boston................ 51

2 Theoren Fleury, Calgary.......... 51

5 Mike Gartner, NY Rangers......... 49

Hull deserves to be on another level. My initial impressions of this rom are really great. I was wondering how you'd come down with the ratings, but so far I like what I see.

Sean Burke's name is misspelled as Shean Burke and Peter Sidorkiewicz is spelled Skidorkiewicz. Another mistake (maybe it was intentional) is that the playoff matchups are not proper. In 1991, you would have a Divisional Semifinal, Division Final, and Conference Final so there would never be a matchup between Hartford and Pittsburgh or Philadelphia and Buffalo in the first or second round. Either way, it's still a sweet rom.

Sean Burke's name is misspelled as Shean Burke and Peter Sidorkiewicz is spelled Skidorkiewicz.

Good eye. It'll be corrected for the final release.

Another mistake (maybe it was intentional) is that the playoff matchups are not proper. In 1991, you would have a Divisional Semifinal, Division Final, and Conference Final so there would never be a matchup between Hartford and Pittsburgh or Philadelphia and Buffalo in the first or second round. Either way, it's still a sweet rom.

Actually I tried to set the playoffs so you could only play with the first round matchups from '91. I wasn't able to accomplish this without having the menu lockup.

Actually I tried to set the playoffs so you could only play with the first round matchups from '91. I wasn't able to accomplish this without having the menu lockup.

I think that may be because Toronto, Philadelphia, Quebec, Winnipeg, and the Islanders don't have a team to play. There's 32 possible combinations in NOSE so maybe you could do 16 as how the first round was really was. You could potentially do 4 different matchups against each team so like Buffalo would play Quebec but the other divisional matchup would be like MTL-BOS, BOS-HAR, HAR-MTL if that makes sense.

Here's a list of spelling mistakes by team

Correct/Mispelled

Boston

----------

Reggie Lemelin/Lemlin

Garry Galley/Gary

Bob Sweeney/Sweeny

Stephane Quintal/Stephan Quintall

Buffalo

----------

Darren Puppa/Daren

Dave Andreychuk/Andrychuck

Christian Ruuttu/Christain

Dale Hawerchuk/Hawerchuck

Mikko Makela/Miko

Darrin Shannon/Darron

Calgary

----------

Rick Wamsley/Walmsey

Sergei Makarov/Sergi Markarov

Chicago

-----------

None found

Detroit

-----------

Tim Cheveldae/Cheveldale

Sergei Fedorov/Federov

Edmonton

-------------

None found

NOTE: I think Kari Takko should be added as a third goalie as Fuhr missed much of the season on his drug suspension

Hartford

-----------

Peter Sidorkiewicz/Skidorkiewicz

Randy Ladouceur/Laduceur

Los Angeles

---------------

Bob Halkidis/Halikdis

Minnesota

--------------

None found

Montreal

-------------

Andre Racicot/Andrew

Stephane Richer/Stephan

New Jersey

---------------

Sean Burke/Shean

Patrik Sundstrom/Patrick

New York I

---------------

Patrick Flatley/Flately

New York R

---------------

None found

Philadelphia

----------------

Pelle Eklund/Pele

Pittsburgh

--------------

None found

Quebec

-----------

Jacques Cloutier/Jaques

St. Louis

-----------

None found

Toronto

-----------

None found

Vancouver

--------------

None found

Washington

---------------

None found

Winnipeg

------------

Paul MacDermid/McDermid

There may be more but that's what I found

I realize you rated players (and, by extension, teams) based on how they performed that year, but come on...Quebec, a 44? You could've made them a *little* more competitive, eh?

Also, yeah, typos as well as wrong/duplicate numbers. Wrong Bruins logo too. And, when you reverse angle on an instant replay, the unedited rink comes back. Still, excellent work!