NHL'94 Forums

Blitz 04 - Draft Info

smozoma

If you have more questions, add them below and I'll answer them

Draft Overview:

The draft has two types of draft rounds. In the odd-numbered rounds (1,3,5,etc), you make a "protection pick" -- this is a pick where you must pick a player who was on your team last season. In the even-numbered rounds, you make a "free pick" -- you can pick any player, as long as they haven't been picked or protected already (and there are a couple other subtle rules explained below...).

If you are a new coach taking over a team from last season, you also need to make protection picks for the team you took over.

If you are a new coach and are not taking over a team (you are getting an expansion team), then you get a free pick in the protection rounds.

Picks are made on the Blitz 94 draft website at http://www.blitz94.com/draftab/makepick.asp.

How many players do I need to draft at each position?

The draft is 12 rounds. You need to end up with 6 forwards, 4 defensemen, and 2 goalies.

Please pay attention to this. Every season we end up with someone with 7 or 8 forwards.

How/Where do I make my pick?

The draft is held on the Blitz94 website: http://www.blitz94.com/draftab/makepick.asp

To make a pick:

1. Wait for your turn (check on the site)
  2. Select your name in the Coach dropdown box
  3. Select a player from the Player dropdown box
  4. Enter your password (which is also your name, unless you would like me to change it)
  5. hit 'Submit"
  6. Important: read the result to see if your pick was successful. There are some rules that prevent certain picks...
  7. pick a different player if the player you tried to pick wasn't allowed

NOTE: there is a glitch in the way the site works. when you submit your pick successfully, it'll still show you in the list of players who haven't picked yet. As long as you get the blue bar that says "You drafted Pavel Bure [F]" (insert correct player name for your pick), things are ok! Click the "Pick another player" link, and you should see that you're gone from the list and your pick is recorded in the tables lower in the page.

What are these Rules that might prevent a pick of mine from working?

In order to prevent teams from getting totally cleared out of talent (forcing them to pick terrible players in the Protection rounds), there is a rule that prevents a team from losing too many players over the course of the draft. This rule is enforced by the website.

The limits are (season 4):

1st-3nd round: can lose a maximum of 2 players to other teams through rounds 1-3 (not including protection picks, trades...). (avg 1.13 lost)

4th-5th round: can lose a maximum of 3 players to other teams through rounds 1-5. (avg 2.22 lost)

6th-7th round: can lose a maximum of 5 players to other teams through rounds 1-7. (avg 3.30 lost)

8th-9th round: can lose a maximum of 6 players to other teams through rounds 1-9. (avg 4.49 lost)

How do I know who was on my team last season?

To see who was on a team last season, click one of the "Protect" links on the draft page tables. It will take you to a page showing that team from last year, as well as who was protected or drafted already.

How can I see the attributes of the available players?

Click the "View Players" link on the draft website. It brings you to a page that displays undrafted players, as well as their attributes. You can get the site to rank the players for you in the order of your preference by using the "Custom Formulas" part of the page. If you value shot power for forwards, then increase the value under ShP and click "Use Custom Formulas".. the page will reload using the formulas you specified and rank the players for you... The "Bias" is a multiplier. If you want to double the value of defensemen, set the bias for defensement to 2.. or 1.5 for +50%.. etc. Play with it, it'll make sense.

Or you can simply click "ShP" in the lower table to just order by that attribute.

If you want to use Excel, then click the "[Excel] blitz_nhl94_players.xls" link on the View Players page.

Are there deadlines? The draft is too slow!

For rounds 1-6, deadlines are pretty lax, in order to let people make good picks. I put in deadlines for people if they are being too slow. It's typically something like "if it's the 4th round, your pick is due at most 24 hours after the person 4 picks ahead of you made a pick". So, you need to check the site at least once every 24 hours.

For rounds 7-10, deadlines will be in 30-minute increments, known ahead of time.

For rounds 11-12, deadlines will be in 15-minute increments, known ahead of time.

Protection rounds are 24 hours, except this first round, where I may have to give time for people not around who don't know the draft has started yet...

What happens when someone missed a deadline?

If a coach misses a deadline, they'll be skipped. They can make their pick at any time, but so can the coaches after them (in order). If 12 picks go by and they still haven't picked or the draft reaches a protection round, I'll pick someone for them.

I won't be around to make my pick. Can I send you a list of players to draft/protect for me?

Yes, you can. Please send me a private message (PM) through the forum with your instructions.

If you are hokkeefan2, I'll accept AIM messages, but for everyone else, please use the forum message system (it's the easiest way for me to look up everyone's lists at the same time).

I see a "Pick List" feature on the website. What is that?

This feature was supposed to automatically make picks for you if you wanted it to, but I never finished it. But you can still use it as a place to store your desired picks for your own reference. The log-in is the same as for making your pick.

If you want me to make picks according to your pick list, I can do that, but you need to send me a forum PM so I know to check your list.

Edited by smozoma

ADODB.Recordset error '800a0cc1'

Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal.

/draftab/viewplayers.asp, line 458

cant view the available players

ADODB.Recordset error '800a0cc1'

Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal.

/draftab/makepick.asp, line 345

Can't make my protect pick.

try again, i think i fixed it

There are some coaches whose roster I can't see in the site. All's blank in the tables, so I would like to see if it can be fixed.

If you need a list of coaches that have this, I can send it in.

There are some coaches whose roster I can't see in the site. All's blank in the tables, so I would like to see if it can be fixed.

If you need a list of coaches that have this, I can send it in.

You have to be in the right League mode in the website, for each coach you look at. Click the "A" or "B" at the top of the page to switch (then you have to press Back and Refresh). It's a bug in the site (sorta).

If you want to see what players a team had last season, then click the "Protect" link or the "Who was on my team last season?" link that is below the player pick Submit button.

Edited by smozoma