NHL'94 Forums

NHL Refs Getting worse?

shaftman

NHL Refs  

15 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• We need to put them back in reffing school!
    • They're human, humans make mistakes
    • Refs are doing great
    • Meh, who cares

I've been watching Hockey a long time.

And I think they are getting worse and worse. This season specifically.

I keep seeing day in and day out refs making the worst calls.

And tonight they officially screwed over the result of a hockey game.

I hope the ref gets in trouble.

what do you guys think of the refs today?

this yr is the worse reffering s**t i have ever seen

specially faggots like chris lee

can someone tell chris lee to go in fkn khl and bring all his felows **** ass quick whistle a**hole with him

AT LEAST REPLAY THE f**king PLAAAAAAAY

OMGAÙGMAGMASOMGSDMGDFGAW

TFGSEINUHGBNDH

DHIDFNHB

GFNBDF

THOSE FUCKTARD SHOULD PLAY NHL 94 AND PRATICE BY USING THE DAM INSTANT REPLAY OPTION

ITS THERE SO USE IT GJA GDAHBS FSGDFINHBDFGBDRHBNDFNM

ANGEEEEER

Twice now my Leafers have been called for high sticking, all because a player on the opposing team decided to toss up his head when a stick got within a foot of him.

Lately i've been seeing a lot of calls like that, where the Ref will make a call based on a player's reaction rather than what they actually see.

I think refs in all sports are making dumber calls.

Look at the Yankees-Angels series and the World Series. How many dumb calls in that?

Football too. I think in football they are not being as careful do to replays, but they aren't supposed to rely on a machine to do their job.

That goal was so obvious. What an idiot.

I think refs in all sports are making dumber calls.

Look at the Yankees-Angels series and the World Series. How many dumb calls in that?

Football too. I think in football they are not being as careful do to replays, but they aren't supposed to rely on a machine to do their job.

That goal was so obvious. What an idiot.

totally agree with this...

in football i cant take all the pass interfierence calls

costs so many teams the game

I dont mind the hockey refs though...

although chris lee looked loooked silly with that call lolz...

bad that he missed the firt call but even worse that he didnt go upstairs

In general, the refs are really sucking @$$ from a straw, although I haven't seen that many games with those questionable calls, but in a way the NFL's showing that for me.

Makes me wish I could have a network package that gave me the Versus channel. :what:

I think this post is a good example of the shortsightedness of today's media and those that follow sports. With 24 hours sports news and dozens of cameras at every professional sporting event, referees are just under a larger microscope than before.

I am wondering if people can conjure up some memories of bad calls prior to the modern era to off-set this argument? Though not a specific example, I can remember watching the Steelers in the mid 90s where it seemed pass-interference calls were the cheapest way for offenses to advance the ball late in the game. I do remember "the coin-toss" Thanksgiving 1999 when the Lions and Steelers went to overtime, Jerome Bettis called tails and the referee misheard him and put his call in as heads. Lions get ball, win game. Classic.

Just found this website: http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/worstcalls/010730.html

I think this post is a good example of the shortsightedness of today's media and those that follow sports. With 24 hours sports news and dozens of cameras at every professional sporting event, referees are just under a larger microscope than before.

I am wondering if people can conjure up some memories of bad calls prior to the modern era to off-set this argument? Though not a specific example, I can remember watching the Steelers in the mid 90s where it seemed pass-interference calls were the cheapest way for offenses to advance the ball late in the game. I do remember "the coin-toss" Thanksgiving 1999 when the Lions and Steelers went to overtime, Jerome Bettis called tails and the referee misheard him and put his call in as heads. Lions get ball, win game. Classic.

No, the Chris Lee call was bullshit, the whistle doesn't even effect the f**king play, idk why it shouldn't count.

The worst call i seen is in 08 Playoffs.

Paul Devorski basically fucked up the Caps - Flyers series and made the Flyers win.

I think it was Lupul who delibaretly rammed Huet out of his net and then the flyers scored a cheap goal.

That and the Brad May non goal, puck is in, and 5 seconds (Litteraly) later the whistle got blown and the goal waved off.

Couldn't see the puck cause it was in the net.

i can understand all the missed goal calls the thing that really pisses me off is that the refs arent going to the video review

Yep. That is just plain stupid. Nothing else. To say it takes too long to review all of those is just bs... There are the obvious ones, and then there's... Well...

Tim Donaghy: 1 (plus the spread)

Habs fans: potato

THIS

SEE: TIM DONAGHY

Surprised this hasnt even been mentioned yet, but gambling plays a HUGE part with some of these crooked refs. I dont really think the NHL has it though, but I KNOW the NBA and NFL have em. Tons of money at stake here.

If you havnt checked out Excerpts From The Book The NBA Doesn't Want You To Read, here ya go http://deadspin.com/5392067/excerpts-from-...ant-you-to-read

This isnt anything new its been going on for decades.

nice list....I think they can probably add Thierry Henry's handball that cost Ireland a chance to play for the world cup.

article-1229682-0746AEC5000005DC-663_468x325.jpg

How is the Tuck Rule not on one of the top spots?? That call was one of the most infamous flops in sports history; the referee practially gave the game as a gift and the rest is history.

The Oilers got cheated to with Mike Renfro's non-catch by the refeeres. The Inmaculate Reception could also count, at least for all the Raiders.

How is the Tuck Rule not on one of the top spots?? That call was one of the most infamous flops in sports history; the referee practially gave the game as a gift and the rest is history.

I was thinking the same thing. It's not even mentioned on the bottom either

No, the Chris Lee call was bullshit, the whistle doesn't even effect the f**king play, idk why it shouldn't count.

The worst call i seen is in 08 Playoffs.

Paul Devorski basically fucked up the Caps - Flyers series and made the Flyers win.

I think it was Lupul who delibaretly rammed Huet out of his net and then the flyers scored a cheap goal.

That and the Brad May non goal, puck is in, and 5 seconds (Litteraly) later the whistle got blown and the goal waved off.

Couldn't see the puck cause it was in the net.

YYAAA i remember that flyers - caps crap game 7

we gotta admit goalie interference is a pretty random call these days

whats the goal crest for anyway?

Bitching and moaning about officiating isn't a modern day phenomenon. In the olden days fans would lament via telegram about it or whatever, "another botched call by clean game Kinny, swell just swell. Iceberg dead ahead!"

A nice side effect to having every game broadcast with all those electronic eyes is that maybe when a zebra makes an error in judgment is that replay doesn't lie.

Officiating is analogous to reading the words off a speeding train at eye level or however the phrase goes, and it's a difficult job. But until technology advances to the point where referees and officials come with built in instant replay, let the game determine the outcome where possible, not a fallible human being.

Rarely is there a critical play where the call is so egregious to the point of rectal-cranial inversion during a game. That might have something to do with this getting so much attention.

You can't really criticize the official for blowing the play dead when he loses sight of the disk, that's his job to enforce that rule - and it's at his discretion as to how long before the play is dead. However, the puck crosses the line before the whistle (watch the overhead replay at 13s). Isn't that what replay is for? I've seen that reviewed a dozen times or more in the last 2-3 years.

Funny watching NHL Network highlights of that nights action how there was no mention of it, same can probably be said for ESPN's hockey highlights. With around the cock coverage of Tiger Woods she bangs odometer they don't have time for that stuff.

How is the Tuck Rule not on one of the top spots??

That's the old Page 2. From the footer:

ESPN.com: HELP | ADVERTISER INFO | CONTACT US | TOOLS | SITE MAP

Copyright ©2001 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

I don't know why the K- Zone in baseball is still a referee's business.

Just do a virtual one like in the broadcasting. (Broadcasting doesn't calculate where the ball was when crossed the plate but when it end up in the catcher's glove tough)

It's precise and uncontestable.

Not like all those shady decisions (Normal, can't blame someone for not tracking a 99MPH pitch like a robot)

Refs are getting worse in all sports. I thought refs were the best in the late 90s when no sport had replays and these stupid challenges--the sports world seemed like a much calmer place. Football refs have been atrocious lately--this has to be the highest penalized year ever---you can't touch the qb, you can't touch players when they go out of bounds, you can't spike the ball. It's unreal. And I agree.....pass interference is a game changing penalty--the offense clearly has the advantage while the defense is helpless. Brady or Manning can just chuck up a 50 yd pass and there's a good chance they'll get a call if they start whining--Manning is the biggest crybaby in the NFL, and Brady is following in his footsteps

I remember the NFL playoffs back in 2005 when the refs reversed obvious Troy Polamalu's int against the Colts, simply cuz the refs wanted Manning to go to the Super Bowl. The Seahawks then got totally got screwed in the Super Bowl that year by some lousy refereeing.

Refs are getting worse in all sports. I thought refs were the best in the late 90s when no sport had replays and these stupid challenges--the sports world seemed like a much calmer place. Football refs have been atrocious lately--this has to be the highest penalized year ever---you can't touch the qb, you can't touch players when they go out of bounds, you can't spike the ball. It's unreal. And I agree.....pass interference is a game changing penalty--the offense clearly has the advantage while the defense is helpless. Brady or Manning can just chuck up a 50 yd pass and there's a good chance they'll get a call if they start whining--Manning is the biggest crybaby in the NFL, and Brady is following in his footsteps

I remember the NFL playoffs back in 2005 when the refs reversed obvious Troy Polamalu's int against the Colts, simply cuz the refs wanted Manning to go to the Super Bowl. The Seahawks then got totally got screwed in the Super Bowl that year by some lousy refereeing.

When the guy that scored the TD admits it wasn't a TD, it's usually pretty obvious.

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone following the auger burrows incedent?

More ref bullshit

I don't think there's any question refs get even with players they don't like...it happens at all levels of hockey....but that ref was pretty stupid to tell burrows he was gonna get even with him.

If Auger doesn't say anything to Burrows and still makes the horseshit calls that he made....no one is any wiser.