NHL'94 Forums

Interest in a "reduced attributes" league?

LoganT

I've been toying around with this idea ever since I came back and played in Metz's Beer League. For those of you that don't know, Beer League has all the player attributes (speed,shotpower,etc.) set to 0. What I really liked about this is that it slowed the game down a lot and made for some really interesting games, an example being taking a shot from the point (keeping it low, of course) would almost always result in a rebound (because of low goalie stats), which in turn resulted in some garbage goals on rebounds.

Now, what i'm proposing is to start a new league taking this concept and expanding on it a bit. The main changes would be:

Weight-Bug Fix - One of the best advancements in GENS play was this, and i'd fully intend to have it implemented so goons have their place.

Reduced Player Attributes - Every player in 94 would have their attributes reduced by the same amount. By doing this, the best players (Roenick, Bure, etc.) are still the best players; the pace of the game is slowed down. This does also include Goalies, making things like rebounds more likely. There a couple of attributes i'm not sure should be reduced, such as Agility, but this would be figured out later.

Besides these, there a couple other things I may or may not implement depending on how it turns out, such as:

Reduced Check Speed - I'm on the fence about this, but I think in order to even out the slowed down gameplay, the speed of a check would have to be reduced, ensuring that Bure can't just be caught by any player mashing the check button.

Line Changes/Longer Periods - Would only be implemented if there was a majority of the coaches wanting it.

I just want to gauge people's interest in this before I work on perfecting the idea. Again, this would be a slower, less "arcadey" game of 94.

Great idea Logan but not for me. I prefer 80's coast to coast hockey over the 90's-00's crap.

couldnt agree more.

beer league is painfully slow, the 0'd rating make it so boring. id be interested in a equalized ratings league but only if there were all at 4 or 5 for every player and 6 for goalies. maybe off sides would be cool.

An alterative I can think of is using all the bench players instead of the star players for all teams. You want to try being the best? Go with the Benchwarmers! :what:

Otherwise, it sounds like a good idea.

couldnt agree more.

beer league is painfully slow, the 0'd rating make it so boring. id be interested in a equalized ratings league but only if there were all at 4 or 5 for every player and 6 for goalies. maybe off sides would be cool.

I'd just like to say again that I am NOT trying to recreate Beer LG; I agree, it was very slow (although I enjoyed it). The purpose of this league would be to slow it down, but of course it won't be as slow as beer LG. I'm gonna mess around a lot with this in the next little while to find a good balance, so the game is slower but not painfully slower.

Also the ratings wouldn't be equalized, they'd be equally lowered for every player, say -1 to speed for everyone for example.

Edited by LoganT