NHL'94 Forums

Awesome games

Guest BSDaemon

Guest BSDaemon

Played 3 amazing games against cajanek (SNES St. Louis) tonight. Played a best of 3, which I managed to squeeze out a series win.

First game was normal... StLouis wins in overtime.

In the second game, however... something odd happened.

I take a penalty. One man goes in the box for Interference. Seems normal.

Then another man goes in... okay.. that happens sometimes.

Then ANOTHER man goes in. Okay, WTF? Have any of you ever seen that before?

To top it off, it ends up being 5 on 3 for 2:00, and a powerplay for 4:00, as Gilmours penalty doesnt even start ticking down. WTF?

And to make it seem even more crazy, I managed to score! lol. And then not a minute later, St Louis takes an Interference penalty. One man in the box... and then... another man in the box! WTF is going on?

So the 3rd period starts 3 on 3. I've NEVER seen so much open ice!!

I end up somehow coming out of that with a win in OT.

Third game... StLouis takes out Gilmour in the first minute... my best player. So in goes.... Wendel Clark. Ah, good ol Clarkie!

So the first minute after, is spent trying to line up his guys with Clark, just for revenge sake... but then revenge gets sweet. Clark scores 3 goals in about a minute, and the 1st period ends 3-0. lol.

Potvin made a huge save with 10 secs left in the game to hold onto a 1 goal lead, to win the game.

Man... have any of you seen anything like this before? (see attached screenshot)

post-184-1144039530_thumb.jpg

You've never seen that before? You just don't play with penalties often. :D

No, the game handled things exactly right. According to NHL rules, a team can never have fewer than 3 skaters on the ice due to penalties. If a third penalty is called on that team, that player's penalty does not start to expire until he is "number 2 in line" (the net effect being that the duration of the other team's advantage increases). So if you had 5 guys in the penalty box, only the first two in would have their penalties counted down, and once the first guy's penalty, the third guy would have his penalty start to expire, and so on. Note that if there are 3 or more guys in the box, the first guy isn't let out right away, because his team still has to play with 3 skaters because of the other two guys still in the box.

What I don't know is how it's handled when all of those penalties expire. Obviously, someone would have to be let back onto the ice during play, but I don't know how it's decided who goes.

You've never seen that before? You just don't play with penalties often. :D

No, the game handled things exactly right. According to NHL rules, a team can never have fewer than 3 skaters on the ice due to penalties. If a third penalty is called on that team, that player's penalty does not start to expire until he is "number 2 in line" (the net effect being that the duration of the other team's advantage increases). So if you had 5 guys in the penalty box, only the first two in would have their penalties counted down, and once the first guy's penalty, the third guy would have his penalty start to expire, and so on. Note that if there are 3 or more guys in the box, the first guy isn't let out right away, because his team still has to play with 3 skaters because of the other two guys still in the box.

What I don't know is how it's handled when all of those penalties expire. Obviously, someone would have to be let back onto the ice during play, but I don't know how it's decided who goes.

You misinterpreted what I wrote. This has occured more times that I care to calculate on the genesis version. I was speaking directly to the fact that I only play the snes version once in a blue moon, which would be why I've never seen so many penalities. Not beacuse I am not fimilar with hockeys rules and regulations.

I'm also one of the only people who always plays with full rules and lines changes enabled. The only time they are off is when I play online, beacuse 99% of people won't play with them.

You misinterpreted what I wrote. This has occured more times that I care to calculate on the genesis version. I was speaking directly to the fact that I only play the snes version once in a blue moon, which would be why I've never seen so many penalities. Not beacuse I am not fimilar with hockeys rules and regulations.

I'm also one of the only people who always plays with full rules and lines changes enabled. The only time they are off is when I play online, beacuse 99% of people won't play with them.

So basically your point is that you've seen fewer penalties on the SNES version? Well, ok.