NHL'94 Forums

Another Playoffs Related Question in NOSE

tantrix

Hi guys.

Don't know if any of you remember my original posts about a sim league I was starting up last April. Well, it's taken a while, but we are now approaching the end of our 60 - game schedule, and I had some questions about playoff structure in NHL 94. I've read the related playoff threads around here, and I was just looking for a bit of clarity before I start messing about with things in NOSE.

(Just in case, this is not just for me and my own amusement - our league has really taken off, and I'm trying to make the playoffs as legitimate as I can: VIHL LEAGUE HOME)

Anyways, my questions:

1. We have a 5 team league this season, and 4 teams make the playoffs. Is it at all possible to have just the equivalent of the Conference Finals active in the playoffs? (Is there any way to bypass the first two rounds, since we only have 4 teams).

2. Is it even possible to get the match-ups our league requires? I've read a lot about making sure every team has a spot in each round so the ROM doesn't crash at the team select. I know it wasn't fully fleshed out, but does anyone have any tips or dos/donts for me in terms of this?

I hope I haven't echoed threads that have already been published here, but I'm not as well versed with modding this game as some of you are.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Eric

Hi guys.

Don't know if any of you remember my original posts about a sim league I was starting up last April. Well, it's taken a while, but we are now approaching the end of our 60 - game schedule, and I had some questions about playoff structure in NHL 94. I've read the related playoff threads around here, and I was just looking for a bit of clarity before I start messing about with things in NOSE.

(Just in case, this is not just for me and my own amusement - our league has really taken off, and I'm trying to make the playoffs as legitimate as I can: VIHL LEAGUE HOME)

Anyways, my questions:

1. We have a 5 team league this season, and 4 teams make the playoffs. Is it at all possible to have just the equivalent of the Conference Finals active in the playoffs? (Is there any way to bypass the first two rounds, since we only have 4 teams).

2. Is it even possible to get the match-ups our league requires? I've read a lot about making sure every team has a spot in each round so the ROM doesn't crash at the team select. I know it wasn't fully fleshed out, but does anyone have any tips or dos/donts for me in terms of this?

I hope I haven't echoed threads that have already been published here, but I'm not as well versed with modding this game as some of you are.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Eric

It's so much easier just to play the games as regular season games in the ROM.

What if there's a disconnection 5 games in? The game won't remember what game you were on, I don't think the internal saving works with netplay.

It's so much easier just to play the games as regular season games in the ROM.

What if there's a disconnection 5 games in? The game won't remember what game you were on, I don't think the internal saving works with netplay.

the league isnt a online netplay league, its a sim league. (i think)

tantrix i would just sim the games just like the regular season

Not that I know of. Since you are recording scores and statistics, won't this not work anyway since the game only tracks 1 team through the playoffs?

If you still want to use the bracket, then, since you only need 2 rounds of playoffs, what I think you can do is set the first 4 teams to all the same, next 4 teams all the same (but a different team that is supposed to play the first team in your first round), and so on. I think by the time it gets to the conference finals, you'll have the 4 different teams.

Other than your league being 4 teams and the game's bracket being 16, I don't see why you couldn't achieve any matchups you want.. depending on how yuo want to deal with the 16-team issue...

For the crash: Every team must, in at least one of the 32 sets of playoff starting brackets in the ROM, be the home team. What I do for my league ROM is, in the last few brackets, make sure any teams that isn't in the league is a home team at least once.

Does any of this help?

Edited by smozoma

Not that I know of. Since you are recording scores and statistics, won't this not work anyway since the game only tracks 1 team through the playoffs?

If you still want to use the bracket, then, since you only need 2 rounds of playoffs, what I think you can do is set the first 4 teams to all the same, next 4 teams all the same (but a different team that is supposed to play the first team in your first round), and so on. I think by the time it gets to the conference finals, you'll have the 4 different teams.

Other than your league being 4 teams and the game's bracket being 16, I don't see why you couldn't achieve any matchups you want.. depending on how yuo want to deal with the 16-team issue...

For the crash: Every team must, in at least one of the 32 sets of playoff starting brackets in the ROM, be the home team. What I do for my league ROM is, in the last few brackets, make sure any teams that isn't in the league is a home team at least once.

Does any of this help?

This does help, thank you so much! I'm going to give some of what you said a try with a copy of our league ROM. I think there is some confusion on how the league works. It's a sim league (no one plays). Each player is a person on the message boards, and they are given ratings and boosts based on activity, articles written, graphics, helping sim games, etc).

I saw a mention of the game only tracking one team in the playoffs stats wise, thats alright. We track stats manually, through the end of game stats screens. We capture the goal/penalty summary, game stats, and player stats in screens and then copy them over to a master stats sheets.

I will report back as soon as I get a chance to fiddle around with some of this advice. Thanks again!

PS - Mr. Riss, nice to see you! Didn't know any TBNers were here besides Cole. I like the promotion for your expansion bid :P

PS - Mr. Riss, nice to see you! Didn't know any TBNers were here besides Cole. I like the promotion for your expansion bid :P

I know Drezz is signed up here, although he never really posts...other than that, IQ25 is the famous Dick Large :P. I was a 94er first, but your little thread for the VIHL brought me over to TBN. And the rest, as they say, is history. :D

Alright, I had success editing the match-ups without crashing.

Here is where I stand:

playoff_test.jpg

However, the more thinking I've done about this, the less likely I'm confident it will happen.

I'm assuming you can only control one team in playoff mode? There is no Demo option for the playoffs, so it may be impossible for this to work, since I'd have to be able to simulate each match-up from each series. Not a huge deal if it's not doable (can be done with exhibition games I guess), but I had to see how far I could stretch the ROM before running into a roadblock.