NHL'94 Forums

HOW TO: Change and View NHL '94 Sound Effects and Music

swos

• 3 months later...

Hey guys I just replaced a few of the characters on the main menu music... listen to this... weird stuff

The rom by the way is the 2010 rom with the trapezoid hack

Is it wrong I burst into laughter after hearing it? I sounds like how they used to butcher songs in console games moving them to a handheld. This is cool stuff.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New Discovery!

As noted above, each file starts with FFFF 00C0. If you look at the intro song you will notice that there is a pattern here. It looks like this:

FFFF 00C0 xxxx 00C1 xxxx 00C2 xxxx 00C3 xxxx 00C4 xxxx etc.

From what I can tell, each 00C command is loading a different instrument for the MIDI. From what I can tell so far, the first two bytes are what control the instrument used, and I have no idea what the last two bytes do.

So in the example below i=instrument

FFFF 00C0 ii?? 00C1 ii?? ... etc.

To test this, find the opening song (offset 045076) and change "00C0 0D01" to "00C0 0E01" and test your rom. You will instantly find 0E seems to load an electronic keyboard synth type instrument and will give your Rom a nice punchy bass line.

I am loving this "new discovery" series. keep 'em coming! thanks.

• 1 year later...

I'm lost. All im trying to do is swap the cheesy goal siren for the period ending long horn like clockwise has on his nhl14 rom. I find both of lines and I swap them. Or I thought I did. One had 00 and the other had a 91. So I switched them and nothing changed. I used that chart with the hex codes that identify the game sounds and went to the blocks. What am I doing wrong?

A couple guesses:

Make sure you save in HxD.

You need to reload the ROM in the emulator (you can't use the Reset command, it won't re-read the ROM and get the changes you made).

I got HxD like you said. I downloaded it and opened up my Rom in HxD. From my understanding you can only swap sounds around. So I found the default goal siren block and swapped the two block codes with one another. I noticed in that thread with the sound codes it listed two default goal sirens. I know my target is the period ending horn. I tried just swapping the blocks on one of sirens and the horn. Nothing changed. Then I set both sirens to the horn code and horn code to 2F code from the first listed siren. Nothing happened. Obviously that's not how you do it. When I find the sound code I'm looking for its represented by 2 characters. Which doesn't look like your example pic of the organ swaps.

Edited by Tex

I'm saving what I've done in hxd, then I open it up in NOS and resave. Then i redownload the rom in my emulator and play it.

I updated the table above with the pointers for the sound effects: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?s=&sh...ost&p=86252

This!!!

I finally figured it out. I had my rows only showing two characters. Once I switched it 16 across I could see the whole code. It's set to two as a default I guess. Now my question is this. Is the horn clockwise uses a custom horn? If so how can I get it into my Rom?

So, to replace the Goal Horn with the End of period horn:

• Go to offset 02C648 (Goal Horn pointer offset)
  • Replace value 0002CCCA with 0002C854 (End of Period Horn data offset)
  • Go to offset 02C658 (End of Period Horn pointer offset)
  • Replace value 0002C854 with 0002CCCA (Goal Horn data offset)
sounds.PNG

I tried it, and it works. However, the goal horn has a delay built into it, so when the period ends, the ref blows his whistle, then there's a delay.. then the goal horn starts up half a second later.

Damn it forked up my quote above.

My post is jumbled up in the above quote.

I finally figured it out. I had my rows only showing two characters. Once I switched it 16 across I could see the whole code. It's set to two as a default I guess. Now my question is this. Is the horn clockwise uses a custom horn? If so how can I get it into my Rom?

Edited by Tex

If he has a custom goal sound, he must have found the sound in a different NHL game and copied the data. I think there's some info about that in that thread, but I've never tried it. I know there's a 2on2 ROM with music from a different game in it.

• 6 months later...

For organ music I recorded them as mp3 files with numbering them in order they are in the rom.

MP3-files can be found here

---------------------------------------------

The link has been dead for quite a while.

But for anyone interested, they are in the download Audio section.

Edited by NHL94PC

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, I am having trouble changing a few songs for the 30-team 2016 ROM. Carolina still has "Here Come The Blackhawks" as their music, and I cannot figure out which offset is for Chicago. Does anyone know which code/pointer is for Here Come the Blackhawks, and which offset hex is Chicago?

If there is a fully corrected 30-team ROM, I'd love to be pointed in that direction :-)

Additionally, Winnipeg has no music at all, very sad state of affairs at the MTS Centre. Anyone know how to locate and fix that one too?

Thanks guys! Awesome work!! Your guidance has allowed for me to fix Boston and Buffalo's opening music, but I have not been able to locate their goal music offsets.

-Skip

I attached my current work-in progress ROM so anyone can look at the current code.

NHL16v6.bin

Edited by skip

Skip,

Eventually, can you please reset every team's original music to their respective teams?
As awesome as your rom is, I am getting very tired of the baseball music every time I play as the
Blackhawks.

Thanks again for your brilliant work.

Edited by NHL94PC

Music 9 02C728 0002F73A 194362 1588 Chicago

Post #8 in this thread is right on.

I changed all the music in my Historic roms to the correct teams using post #8 as my guide.

You can even change the intro music if you like.

My 1984 and 1991 roms are fully corrected for the 21 teams of that time.

Edited by CoachMac

Music 9 02C728 0002F73A 194362 1588 Chicago

Post #8 in this thread is right on.

I changed all the music in my Historic roms to the correct teams using post #8 as my guide.

You can even change the intro music if you like.

My 1984 and 1991 roms are fully corrected for the 21 teams of that time.

I tried that one but it isn't the right spot for Here Come the Blackhawks + Chicago in the ROM I have. Do you think it has something to do with the pointer? I am having a tough time figuring out that part.

Yes, here are the pointers.

2c824 = Team 1, 9, 16

2c70c = Team 2

2c718 = Team 3

2c71c = Team 4

2c728 = Team 5

2c770 = Team 6

2c734 = Team 7

2c740 = Team 8

2c748 = Team 10

2c754 = Team 11

2c784 = Team 12

2c788 = Team 13

2c764 = Team 14

2c798 = Team 15

2c7a0 = Team 17

2c7ac = Team 18

2c7bc = Team 19

2c7c4 = Team 20

2c7e4 = Team 21

That is where my notes stop.

But you can follow post #8 in this thread from there.

As you can see some teams share a song and you just have to deal with it.

Whoever is in in the #1, 9, and 16 slot will have the same song.

I think a couple others after that do also.

Hope this helps.

Edited by CoachMac

Re-read my post. That is what I'm trying to do :-)

Also this isn't the forum for that type of request.

Oops. Sorry, my bad. I also just read about this in your other thread.

Wish I could help you. I'm sure it'll all get worked out by all you hack wizards.

Yes, here are the pointers.

2c824 = Team 1, 9, 16

2c70c = Team 2

2c718 = Team 3

2c71c = Team 4

2c728 = Team 5

2c770 = Team 6

2c734 = Team 7

2c740 = Team 8

2c748 = Team 10

2c754 = Team 11

2c784 = Team 12

2c788 = Team 13

2c764 = Team 14

2c798 = Team 15

2c7a0 = Team 17

2c7ac = Team 18

2c7bc = Team 19

2c7c4 = Team 20

2c7e4 = Team 21

That is where my notes stop.

But you can follow post #8 in this thread from there.

As you can see some teams share a song and you just have to deal with it.

Whoever is in in the #1, 9, and 16 slot will have the same song.

I think a couple others after that do also.

Hope this helps.

Huge help, CoachMac! I got the Blackhawks all set and should be able to fix at least teams 1-21 and team 26 (looks like old WPG position also occupies with old ANA/FLA/OTT, just as old NYR shares with old ASE/ASW). Thanks a lot for that push over the hill, definitely needed to see that pointer list to click hahaha. Thanks for you're help, bud!

Now if I can figure out all of the goal music offsets/pointers, we'll be fully operational!

-Skip

Ah, yes this makes sense. Buffalo is the key, and it is also the most confusing slot. It (seems to) usually goes Faceoff Music - PP Music - Goal Music, in that order, by the list in the earlier thread (see: Calgary). But, Buffalo (Slot # 4) uses their Goal Music as their Faceoff Music, which is why their Faceoff Music (hex 02C718) follows their PP music (hex 02C714) - because it is only identified as the Goal Music, used as Faceoff Music. So, for the Bruins, who occupy that spot in the 30-team ROM, we have to use the same Faceoff and Goal Music "Here we go Bruins, here we go..." (music code 02D6CA) for Faceoff and Goal.

The confusing thing that made the list hard to decipher was Buffalo having one song, when they clearly had two, but Calgary being listed directly after Buffalo. Now, this makes perfect sense).

CoachMac gets my vote for bud of the year for helping me try to perfect the 2016 ROM over the past 24 hours!

UPDATE: I am not so sure about my original statement with the order of musics. I am sure about Buffalo's old slot, but something happened to the Chicago faceoff music when I changed their goal/PP musics.

Edited by skip

updated faceoff music list

02C824 - 1, 9, 16, 26
02C70C - 2
02C718 - 3, 29
02C71C - 4
02C728 - 5
02C770 - 6
02C734 - 7
02C740 - 8
02C748 - 10
02C754 - 11
02C784 - 12
02C788 - 13
02C764 - 14
02C798 - 15, 27, 28
02C7A0 - 17
02C7AC - 18
02C7BC - 19
02C7C4 - 20
02C7C8 - 20 (PP)
02C7E4 - 21
02C7F0 - 22
02C7F8 - 23
02C800 - 24
02C80C - 25
02C7DC - 30

• 1 year later...
On 12/28/2015 at 2:51 PM, skip said:

Ah, yes this makes sense. Buffalo is the key, and it is also the most confusing slot. It (seems to) usually goes Faceoff Music - PP Music - Goal Music, in that order, by the list in the earlier thread (see: Calgary). But, Buffalo (Slot # 4) uses their Goal Music as their Faceoff Music, which is why their Faceoff Music (hex 02C718) follows their PP music (hex 02C714) - because it is only identified as the Goal Music, used as Faceoff Music. So, for the Bruins, who occupy that spot in the 30-team ROM, we have to use the same Faceoff and Goal Music "Here we go Bruins, here we go..." (music code 02D6CA) for Faceoff and Goal.

The confusing thing that made the list hard to decipher was Buffalo having one song, when they clearly had two, but Calgary being listed directly after Buffalo. Now, this makes perfect sense).

CoachMac gets my vote for bud of the year for helping me try to perfect the 2016 ROM over the past 24 hours!

UPDATE: I am not so sure about my original statement with the order of musics. I am sure about Buffalo's old slot, but something happened to the Chicago faceoff music when I changed their goal/PP musics.

I am intrigued by this.

Did you ever figure out what is going on with this.

Does this pattern hold true Face Off, PP, Goal for all teams except Buffalo?

I had only worried about Face Off music but now may need to make some additional changes.

What about Slot 1, 9, 16, and 26 where is there PP and Goal music.

Edited by CoachMac
update