NHL'94 Forums

NHL '94 Tournament idea

swos

I have been thinking of organizing NHL '94 Tournament with preliminary round with groups and then playoff Round,

like hockey World Championships or Olympics.

This would be held once a year, or once every two years.

Idea in this short 2-3 weeks tournament would be to gather the best players to play,

and also to unite European players with North American players.

Many of the players don't have the time or interest to play in leagues with tens of games

and having to spend so much time online trying to get your games played.

This would be 3-7 games tournament, depending how well you play in the tournament.

All games would be scheduled beforehand by the tournament! So you would know that next week you will play

against your opponents for example at Monday 8.30 PM, Wednesday 6 PM and Thursday 8.30 PM.

Of course the times best suited for players would be taken into consideration before the

schedule is made.

So you would only need to show up to play your game, and message your opponent via the tournament

site. If your opponent would not show up within a specified time, you would then just win the

game by default. Of course you could play the games beforehand, but the schedule would be the

only thing that would be monitored.

If I get enough interested elite/veteran players I could organize it.

Tournament format:

Tournament format would be decided on how much players are going to participate.

Basically preliminary round and a playoff round.

Tournament can be played with 8, 10, 14, 15, 16, 20 or 32 players.

Tournament rules:

North Americans generally like to play without line changes or offsides,

while Europeans like to play with line changes and offsides.

This could be handled with following options:

- Rules would be voted by the players

- Rules would alternate between years

- Offsides would be Off but line changes would be On

- Line changes would be Off but offsides would be On

Selectable teams options:

- Players could play with the teams they like. For example all could play with Chicago

- Players could use all teams within the tournament, but could only use a team once.

- Players could play with any team the like, but they would name one preferred team before the tournament, and they

would have an option to use it against opponents in case opponent doesn't have the same team as his preferred team.

In this situation home team player would have the option.

Interested, or any ideas ?

Count me in for this tourney if there's room.

Maybe we could do a home/away thing where if an american plays at a european you play by the europeans rules and vice versa.

The thing is it's much easier to adaptfrom line changes to no line changes versus the other way around.

I like the idea of scheduling a day and time for the game.

I would vote for random teams each time, maybe select Playoff mode and have home team randomly scroll thru it etc.

I like IceStorm's idea. When it's NA home game, we play with NA rules. When its Euro home game, we play with Euro rules.

This is the only way we can play with Euro rules. NA players hate line changes and offsides and if we vote, NA rules are going to win every time.

There is only one thing. If we play with original NHl94.bin, it doesn't matter if we have line changes or not. In original.bin you can play with one line the whole gane. Therefore I think one format should be playing with bin with accelerated fatigue (and perhaps with weight bug fix), so that line changes would really matter - for example NHL2010.bin. And I know you NA guys hate this, because you don't want to try anything new (except FlamingPavelBure and Tickenest), but come on, even consider this.

Let's say, we play NA home games with original bin and NA rules and Euro home games with NHL2010.bin and Euro rules. Everyone gets what they want, and we can finally play against each other.

I don't really mind offsides or line changes, since I got used to them in NHL91 league, but I just go with the flow if the others vote not to use them. I favor the continental rules, though.

I like IceStorm's idea. When it's NA home game, we play with NA rules. When its Euro home game, we play with Euro rules.

This is the only way we can play with Euro rules. NA players hate line changes and offsides and if we vote, NA rules are going to win every time.

There is only one thing. If we play with original NHl94.bin, it doesn't matter if we have line changes or not. In original.bin you can play with one line the whole gane. Therefore I think one format should be playing with bin with accelerated fatigue (and perhaps with weight bug fix), so that line changes would really matter - for example NHL2010.bin. And I know you NA guys hate this, because you don't want to try anything new (except FlamingPavelBure and Tickenest), but come on, even consider this.

Let's say, we play NA home games with original bin and NA rules and Euro home games with NHL2010.bin and Euro rules. Everyone gets what they want, and we can finally play against each other.

It's the same concept in MLB, when you play in the National Leagues park the pitcher bats, in AL there is a DH. I'm ok with Mahav's idea, as long as we don't have that damn 'dot' for a puck.

• 4 months later...

I'm so down for this idea! In fact I'm calling Victory right now! I'm undefeatable with Detroit. LOL!

But seriously, i'd love to see this setup.

I'm in Favour of:

10 Min Periods

Offsides On

Line Changes Off

Any team you want - including All-Stars - (they never win...poor team chemistry)

Zubin