NHL'94 Forums

Former NHL City most deserving of a second chance?

hockeynut

If you're going to post a pic, it should be one that is actually readable. When I clicked on your image, all it gave me was a thumbnail that is impossible to read.

it works for me in FF3.5 and IE8

If you're going to post a pic, it should be one that is actually readable. When I clicked on your image, all it gave me was a thumbnail that is impossible to read.

Does this one work?

big0470121742.jpg

Or at least crop it to make it a bit bigger, though I managed to read it.

Edited by RedWingDevil

• 1 month later...

I was watching TSN the other day and Damien Cox suggested keeping the team in Phoenix and expanding to 32 teams with teams going to Winnipeg and Quebec. He also suggest reducing rosters by one player...thus making 30 available for an expansion draft. And Canada gets back their two teams they lost under bettman's regime.

more teams =

$150 million expansion fee per team (which doesnt have to get shared with players)

yes, they would sell out the game in a second for that $$$.

I think the expansion price tag per franchise will be 300 million+

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, I would like to see the Nords in Quebec again. I would definitely try to go to a game every season. Quebec City is a pretty cool place.

I Agree It'll Be Cool To See The Battle Of Quebec Again. :D This Should Be Their Logo And Jerseys If They Ever Come Back

post-2596-1271277096_thumb.jpg

post-2596-1271277208_thumb.jpg

post-2596-1271277214_thumb.jpg

:P

Edited by Stepher1980

I would be willing to guarantee that the Canadian franchises would do well now considering the strength of the Loonie compared to what it was 10-15 years ago. If I had to pick one franchise, I would welcome Winnipeg back.

Edited by Sabre Dance

• 3 weeks later...
some truth for you:

Whalers attendance last 3 years of existence: 11,822 11,967 13,680

Hurricanes attendance last 3 years: 17,386 16,663 16,572

Oh... but there's more:

Jet's attendance last 3 years of existence: 13,297 13,013 11,316

Coyotes attendance last 3 years: 14,988 14,820 14,875

I don't even need to do Quebec and Colorado.

I think people have a rosy vision of the past when they claim Winnipeg, Hartford, and Quebec "deserve" NHL teams. It seems these Southern teams are doing a better job of attracting fans. Putting a team in Maine or the Dakotas is business suicide. Just because a place is cold doesn't mean it can better handle a pro sports franchise. I hope you are ready to discuss now:)

statistics from http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/index.php/..._90/118-2008-09

They deserve teams way more then places that the people have no idea what hockey is and only support it cause they have a winning team IE Dallas. Seriously the NHL should of never been put in friggin TExas biggest mistake ever to give those damned stupid rednecks hockey

Let them stick to their football and basketball

They deserve teams way more then places that the people have no idea what hockey is and only support it cause they have a winning team IE Dallas. Seriously the NHL should of never been put in friggin TExas biggest mistake ever to give those damned stupid rednecks hockey

Let them stick to their football and basketball

A lot of people feel the way you do, and it feels ignorant to me. An NHL franchise is a business, and your basis for a team "deserving" a franchise is that it is cold.

More people per capita in locations like Hartford may understand the game of hockey than those down south, but these locations aren't big enough to support an NHL franchise. Dallas is doing a great job. Don't hate.

This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart, having grown up in the south I can tell you the two most beloved sports are Football and Spring football practice. Bettman needs to get his skull examined to think that the NHL would succeed in places like Nashville, ATL, and Pho. Here's how I see it, in MY perfect world.

Cities losing a team:

Phoenix

Nashville

Atlanta

Columbus

Florida

Cities gaining a team:

Winnipeg

Quebec

Hamilton: Balsillie gets his team! Why the hell Bettman doesn't want a rich passionate owner I'll never know.

Toronto: Gets a second team

Seattle

And if the NHL expands to 32, two of these cities:

Las Vegas

Portland

Milwaukee

maybe Kansas City

This isn't perfect, The Stars stay in Dallas and it doesn't look like the Whalers will ever go back to Hartford, but it's a hell of a lot better than it is now! Bird

Why the hell Bettman doesn't want a rich passionate owner I'll never know.

Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment and B. Thomas Golisano.

Edited by Sabre Dance

A lot of people feel the way you do, and it feels ignorant to me. An NHL franchise is a business, and your basis for a team "deserving" a franchise is that it is cold.

More people per capita in locations like Hartford may understand the game of hockey than those down south, but these locations aren't big enough to support an NHL franchise. Dallas is doing a great job. Don't hate.

You know what I may be a bit of a hockey snob, okay so more then a bit but I don't give a f'n damn. Those dumb rednecks in TExas have no respect for this game, same as in Florida and F'n Pheonix, look at all the trouble the damn Coyotes have been having. Yet that f**king moronic twit Bettman supports the southern teams over the northen and Canadian teams?

Bettman is the dumbest f**king sports executive in the god damned known world. he should be pushing hockey in Canada where it belongs, it's THEIR F'n game you moron!. Canada came up with hockey not the US! IT's their game

It's a f'n disgrace seeing hockey in the south, places like Texas where they really know nothing about the great history of the game, all they know is they have a great team that wins and is entertaining. I bet if they had bad teams like when the Dallas Stars were the Minnesota North stars all those dumb rednecks would abandon the stars so fast!

The people of Minnesota supported their team during the bad, unlike what the dumbass Southerners would do. So no my friend YOU are wrong

My mind will not be changed, I will support the elimination of Southern Teams in hockey till the day I die, it is WRONG and the creators of this great game must be doing backflips in their god damned graves seeing this bullshit

Edited by hockeynut

Some even-keeled responses:

1. I would enjoy the NHL more if there were more Canadian teams. So I agree with you there, but;

2. example as to why the NHL is as it is: Hamilton metro: pop 700,000. Phoenix metro: population 4,300,000. Phoenix per capita certainly is not as hockey crazy as Hamilton, but only 1/6th as many people need to care to make it as viable as Hamilton. From a business perspective, Phoenix wins.

3. To categorize everyone in Texas as a redneck who knows nothing about hockey is somewhat bigoted. There are passionate fans down there, though not as many as in Canada. But the sheer volume of people in Texas makes the revenue from merchandise and TV licensing more alluring to a potential buyer of a team. So whether they can tell you who Maurice Richard is or not.... when money talks, people listen.

my suggestion: mod the 94 ROM so that there are no southern teams. That'll teach those brainless slack jaws!

You know what I may be a bit of a hockey snob, okay so more then a bit but I don't give a f'n damn. Those dumb rednecks in TExas have no respect for this game, same as in Florida and F'n Pheonix, look at all the trouble the damn Coyotes have been having. Yet that f**king moronic twit Bettman supports the southern teams over the northen and Canadian teams?

Bettman is the dumbest f**king sports executive in the god damned known world. he should be pushing hockey in Canada where it belongs, it's THEIR F'n game you moron!. Canada came up with hockey not the US! IT's their game

It's a f'n disgrace seeing hockey in the south, places like Texas where they really know nothing about the great history of the game, all they know is they have a great team that wins and is entertaining. I bet if they had bad teams like when the Dallas Stars were the Minnesota North stars all those dumb rednecks would abandon the stars so fast!

The people of Minnesota supported their team during the bad, unlike what the dumbass Southerners would do. So no my friend YOU are wrong

My mind will not be changed, I will support the elimination of Southern Teams in hockey till the day I die, it is WRONG and the creators of this great game must be doing backflips in their god damned graves seeing this bullshit

1. I would enjoy the NHL more if there were more Canadian teams. So I agree with you there, but;

2. example as to why the NHL is as it is: Hamilton metro: pop 700,000. Phoenix metro: population 4,300,000. Phoenix per capita certainly is not as hockey crazy as Hamilton, but only 1/6th as many people need to care to make it as viable as Hamilton. From a business perspective, Phoenix wins.

3. To categorize everyone in Texas as a redneck who knows nothing about hockey is somewhat bigoted. There are passionate fans down there, though not as many as in Canada. But the sheer volume of people in Texas makes the revenue from merchandise and TV licensing more alluring to a potential buyer of a team. So whether they can tell you who Maurice Richard is or not.... when money talks, people listen.

my suggestion: mod the 94 ROM so that there are no southern teams. That'll teach those brainless slack jaws!

Doesn't change the fact Bettman is ruining the game, if I ran the NHL there would be NO Southern Teams OR teams in F'n California, what kind of joke is that!?

Then again that's why I rarely watch the NHL anymore, Bettman has ruined the league with his hardon for teams in the south

Give me a break

Doesn't change the fact Bettman is ruining the game, if I ran the NHL there would be NO Southern Teams OR teams in F'n California, what kind of joke is that!?

Then again that's why I rarely watch the NHL anymore, Bettman has ruined the league with his hardon for teams in the south

Give me a break

also the difference between the southern fans and the real hockey fans(as I refer to them as) Is that unlike the people in Minnesota the Dallas fans didn't have to see the Stars when they were bad. They'd NEVER of supported a bad team, they're not true hockey fans like the people of Minnesota or Hamilton, It makes me SICK to see hockey in places like Florida, California and Dallas and even Atlanta, it's a f'n joke! I mean hockey in Nashville, are you f'n kidding me?

The NHL today is a joke, and that's the problem Bettman runs it as too much of a f**king buisness. He doesn't see what he is doing to the TRUE hockey fans like the people of Quebec, Winnipeg and Hamiliton.

I will NEVER support the NHL in the south, It is ruining the great game of hockey. Down with Bettman and lets build towards a better NHL Game WITHOUT THE SOUTH!

Guest Wags13

Guys Guys Guys.. Bettman's main job is to expand the league. You have to have teams in North America's most populous cities. Hockey is a great game and shouldn't be isolated to northern cities only..

I don't really figure to know economical issues and all that jazz, but I agree with what Matt has said.

Besides, there are people in Dallas who do care. If anything, we're forgetting what Mike Modano brought to the table when the Stars moved in there. I think that in many ways, there are benefits that there are some places in the south who can like hockey as much as Canada and the north of the US does. If Modano decides to become the new owner or something close to it, I wonder what he'll do to make the Stars a better team.

also the difference between the southern fans and the real hockey fans(as I refer to them as) Is that unlike the people in Minnesota the Dallas fans didn't have to see the Stars when they were bad. They'd NEVER of supported a bad team

Your hatred of the southern teams is way over the top B)

Dallas had decent attendance this year despite sucking, same with the Kings the past few years. Colorado was around 12k/game, though.. but obviously this was a bad year for spending $300-$400 just to take the family out to a game.

hamilton itself may be only 700k, but it's 50 minutes from downtown toronto, and within 50 minutes of:

oakville (165k)

burlington (165k)

mississauga (700k)

kitchener/waterloo (420k)

brantford (100k)

st catharines (390k) (this is right next to buffalo, though)

---------------------------

1 940 000 people

They won't have a problem filling the seats. I'm pretty sure that's more people than are within 50 minutes of Ottawa.

London is also 90 minutes away with another 500k people

Dallas is legit. They fill the place pretty good and theyr beginning to get the groove of hockey.

As for California it spells sucess all the way. Even some kids from CAL have began emerging as draft picks.

See Jonathon Blum as a great exemple.

It works in some states and in others it just doesn't.

As for places like Florida here's what i think:

I've been to some arenas in my life, but i must say DAMN, i the one in Sunrise a beautiful one. And going to a game there feels 21942240 time better than going to the Bell Centre (As a strictly non fan client).

It's more accessible, it's better looking, cheaper, more space for 1 person, there's a big and beautiful shopping centre near with a bunch of good restaurants.

Problem is: No one gives a f**k about the Panthers. The Spring training of Baseball was at the same time yet there was more people even if the stadium was in a lost place not near as enjoyable.

Now i give them benefit of the doubt since the Panthers almost sucked since they were born expetion made of 1996. I'd wait for a good team to get there, and if it doesn't work then F'it. Should just move on.