NHL'94 Forums

Playing against the computer... how to keep it difficult

MAnderson

Whenever I play against the computer I only allow myself to score on one-timers and I always play against the all-star teams. With a team like Ottawa or Florida, it's tough to even score 2 or 3 goals in the game. With Pittsburg or Chicago, I can usually get 5-8 goals. Anyone have any self-imposed rules when playing against the computer?

Whenever I play against the computer I only allow myself to score on one-timers and I always play against the all-star teams. With a team like Ottawa or Florida, it's tough to even score 2 or 3 goals in the game. With Pittsburg or Chicago, I can usually get 5-8 goals. Anyone have any self-imposed rules when playing against the computer?

Play the game without your goalie...that's the best challenge I can recommend.

Play the game without your goalie...that's the best challenge I can recommend.

I used to play against my friends with one hand! I got unusually good at being able to score by doing a last second deke on a goalie and falling while the puck slides into the net. The only hard part is trying to get the puck from people. Its basically impossible to check them, you mainly have to just wait until they shoot it at your goalie then mash the pass button by tapping it on your knee and hope it goes to one of your players. Its quite difficult, you should try it!

I used to play against my friends with one hand! I got unusually good at being able to score by doing a last second deke on a goalie and falling while the puck slides into the net. The only hard part is trying to get the puck from people. Its basically impossible to check them, you mainly have to just wait until they shoot it at your goalie then mash the pass button by tapping it on your knee and hope it goes to one of your players. Its quite difficult, you should try it!

Haha.. Reminds me of when I beat a friend at Eliminator Boat Duel (a NES game, sort of like RC Pro Am but with boats) while playing with my feet! :P:dal_skater_hand_grab: He has never played a video game against me since then... And that was like 10-15 years ago xD

As for making it hard.. Yeah, what Halifax said.. Playing without a goalie! That makes it really intense. Try playing a playoff that way! I don't think I ever managed it, maybe won a pair of games in a row or so.

I use the ducks against the all star team with no goalie.

I usually try to score on one-timers and straight slappers only (no dekes) and try not to allow any shots on goal, but I think the best I have done is allow 3 or 4 shots in a game.

I tried Ottawa (with no goalie) vs. the West Allstars and lost 12-7. I discovered that Mike Peluso (the extra attacker for Ottawa) is actually pretty decent.

This thread inspired me to try to do a couple of things...

1. I wanted to break the shots "record" on the homepage...I'm guessing that this has maybe been beaten at some time, but it has not been updated. So I guess this would be the new "record" as of now...It was done w/10 minute periods. This was my 2nd try at breaking it. First try had 68 shots with Buffalo and gained only a 3-2 win over Boston.

post-2287-1264194183_thumb.jpg

2. I wanted to win the cup playing best of 7 with no goalie....

post-2287-1264194247_thumb.jpg

post-2287-1264194266_thumb.jpg

Playoff Stats

----------------

Road to the Cup: 4-0 over STL, 4-1 over DET, 4-0 over LA, 4-0 over WSH

Record - 16-1

Biggest Win - 22-4 vs LA in the conference finals.

Biggest Loss - 19-13 vs DET in the conference quarter-finals.

Average Goals Scored - 16.12 (274 Total)

Average Goals Allowed - 7.41 (126 Total)

Another idea:

don't keep your eyes open the whole time. This will force you to understand the movement of the players better, to know what's going to happen in that next second when you close your eyes.

* I have not tried this

Another idea:

don't keep your eyes open the whole time. This will force you to understand the movement of the players better, to know what's going to happen in that next second when you close your eyes.

* I have not tried this

I actually scored some goals with popups over the screen.

Did an NHL 10 goal with my dad passing in front of the tv. Sweet automatic glitches.

I actually scored some goals with popups over the screen.

Did an NHL 10 goal with my dad passing in front of the tv. Sweet automatic glitches.

and I play NHL 94 naked while my dog barks at me

1. I wanted to break the shots "record" on the homepage...I'm guessing that this has maybe been beaten at some time, but it has not been updated. So I guess this would be the new "record" as of now...It was done w/10 minute periods. This was my 2nd try at breaking it. First try had 68 shots with Buffalo and gained only a 3-2 win over Boston.

post-2287-1264194183_thumb.jpg

Hey Beavers33,

Yea, the shot record is outdated. I have no idea what the real record is (the records section never was completed) but I'm pretty sure my shot record for 10 minute periods is 86, and I think with Buffalo too. I wish I had the time to make a records section that would allow users to upload and update the records.

Great thread. I always say put in the lowest rated guys for a fun challenge.

-Evan

... I'm probably not as good as the guys here who are getting 70-80 shots a game, but what I do to limit myself is -- I usually play with lower-tier teams like Ottawa, I'll use auto-goalies, I don't use backhand passes or shots (except rebounds), and I rarely use one-timers (maybe one every 3 or 4 games). I try to keep the flow of the game as realistic as I can; I use offsides, I use full line changes, if I get a lead, I'll concentrate more on defense, or limit myself to scoring on rebounds.

Edited by JT_Dutch

Hey Beavers33,

Yea, the shot record is outdated. I have no idea what the real record is (the records section never was completed) but I'm pretty sure my shot record for 10 minute periods is 86, and I think with Buffalo too. I wish I had the time to make a records section that would allow users to upload and update the records.

-Evan

What's the record for goals in a game in 20 min periods? I wanted to score 100 goals in a game so I set out at the task. The first time I picked the Allstars vs Ottawa but for some reason I couldn't get any chemistry going and topped out at 69 goals. My next try I decided to go with Chicago, the best team in the game that surely has chemistry and topped out at 88 goals. Then, finally I went back to my favorite team the Winnipeg Jets and put up 112 goals! Don't worry, I played all of these games on separate days but it still took a lot of determination and concentration to be able to consistently score over a full 60 minutes. I think Teemu finished with 56 of those goals and if you're wondering the Scoreboard resets back to 0 when you get to 100. But if you go to game stats it shows the correct number of goals.

Then, finally I went back to my favorite team the Winnipeg Jets and put up 112 goals! Don't worry, I played all of these games on separate days but it still took a lot of determination and concentration to be able to consistently score over a full 60 minutes. I think Teemu finished with 56 of those goals and if you're wondering the Scoreboard resets back to 0 when you get to 100. But if you go to game stats it shows the correct number of goals.

112!? That's insane. I can't see myself scoring much more than 20 goals in a period even if that's all I was trying to do. Nicely done.

I have an even better challenge:

Try getting the highest shooting percentage while scoring lots of goals and the highest one-timer rate. Try to be consistent for at least 5 games. :lol:

I think 112 goals may tie my personal record...

just checked and I had 111! oh no!

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Beavers33,

-Evan

This is my latest attempt to break a record...one shy.

post-2287-1266629710_thumb.jpgpost-2287-1266629729_thumb.jpg

Looks like you got the 2nd period "mode" that tends to happen against the CPU. That or you're better at going north. Good stuff!

-Evan

Looks like you got the 2nd period "mode" that tends to happen against the CPU. That or you're better at going north. Good stuff!

-Evan

Yeah, I was trying to figure that one out yesterday. I played 4 games gunning for 90 and the others were all somewhere between 65-80. I was sub-20 in the 2nd period the other 3 games.

Edited by beavers33