NHL'94 Forums

Player presence in leagues

I have thought about this lately with past months in leagues and maybe I am thinking too much, but I believe that player presence has gotten slow. Now, I know that we all got a life and we're entitled to it, but sometimes the pace of a league gets hurt when participation between coaches is reduced in the coming months. A promising start turns to a lethargic season and well, the league does get affected in time.

I'm not saying we should run leagues with an iron fist when it comes to attendance and making games, but at the very least we gotta encourage guys to make their games and run things smoothly. It makes me worried for a few leagues that may go beyond the 40-game schedule won't have much of a future or space if we don't complete them and I don't want that to happen. What are your thoughts on this?

wasn't there something a while back about guys being able to play 94 online through xbox live. this is before the 360, i mean...i think.

I got no clue about that, although I have seen X-Box consoles with emulators on the system.

wasn't there something a while back about guys being able to play 94 online through xbox live. this is before the 360, i mean...i think.

I'm pretty sure it does not exist on ps3 or xbox 360. There is a game called 3 on3 arcade for 360...its kind of cheesy but fun...and it uses 94 controls.

RedWingDevil said:
I have thought about this lately with past months in leagues and maybe I am thinking too much, but I believe that player presence has gotten slow. Now, I know that we all got a life and we're entitled to it, but sometimes the pace of a league gets hurt when participation between coaches is reduced in the coming months. A promising start turns to a lethargic season and well, the league does get affected in time.

I'm not saying we should run leagues with an iron fist when it comes to attendance and making games, but at the very least we gotta encourage guys to make their games and run things smoothly. It makes me worried for a few leagues that may go beyond the 40-game schedule won't have much of a future or space if we don't complete them and I don't want that to happen. What are your thoughts on this?

Edited by Flames4LifeFLA

When I first started visiting this website/participating in leagues, I thought about this frequently. You had a handful of people that were always available and played their games, a handful who were somewhat available and got in some games, then some folks who were never available and didn't play whatsoever. It was always a nuisance to have those stragglers, but I've come to realize that's just the way it will always be.

When people have careers, work, kids, busy schedule whatever...an online hockey game is going to take a backseat. It's unfortunate because when I had the time and availability, I was always one of those guys who wanted a 30-team league with a full 82-game schedule plus playoffs. Could you imagine how long that would take? That was before I realized how hard it is to get everyone on the same page.

Hence my small aprehension on Halifax's WHA league running into a roadblock that'll be hard to get around. I think it can be a good league, but I'm kinda worried that there may be guys that may not be able to get to the 60-game plan and complete it, nevermind reaching the halfway mark (See his league info in the recent replies bar on the main page). Longest league I've been is GDL and though I'm happy it did get carried out satisfactory, it makes me think about any other future league that is planned to get to the 50-game plateau like GDL does may not reach that goal after all.

I'm not calling anyone out, of course, and I may be thinking into it too much as I had said earlier. I just can't bear the possibility of leagues either being curtailed or downright abandoned due to a multitude of no-shows that can happen. I'm not expressing a wish to control everything, but if we got free time, why not trying to enjoy it every chance it pops up?

Hence my small apprehension on Halifax's WHA league running into a roadblock that'll be hard to get around. I think it can be a good league, but I'm kinda worried that there may be guys that may not be able to get to the 60-game plan and complete it, nevermind reaching the halfway mark (See his league info in the recent replies bar on the main page).

Don't sweat it bud...life's too short B)

Hopefully the following will ease the apprehension.

The last league I ran by myself was the juiced league two summers ago...16 coaches....68 game season for each coach...and I saw to it that every single game was played...including playoffs. I did have to replace guys along the way and we finished in about 3 months.

I spend a fair amount of time helping guys work out times to get played. I try and keep myself informed as much possible as to their situations(be it work, school, vacations or whatever the reason) so I can inform others. I think guys that play in my leagues appreciate that I do this and I feel that's part of the reason why all 480 games were completed. The WHA will have less coaches and less games to be played. I can assure you that I'll do everything I can to see that the season gets finished in it's entirety.

Thanks for plugging my league in a different forum. The sponsors will be happy.

Hence my small aprehension on Halifax's WHA league running into a roadblock that'll be hard to get around. I think it can be a good league, but I'm kinda worried that there may be guys that may not be able to get to the 60-game plan and complete it, nevermind reaching the halfway mark (See his league info in the recent replies bar on the main page). Longest league I've been is GDL and though I'm happy it did get carried out satisfactory, it makes me think about any other future league that is planned to get to the 50-game plateau like GDL does may not reach that goal after all.

I'm not calling anyone out, of course, and I may be thinking into it too much as I had said earlier. I just can't bear the possibility of leagues either being curtailed or downright abandoned due to a multitude of no-shows that can happen. I'm not expressing a wish to control everything, but if we got free time, why not trying to enjoy it every chance it pops up?

Lets not forget the forever epic Capitalism leagues with over 1000 games played.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=8819

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=7689

Lets not forget the forever epic Capitalism leagues with over 1000 games played.

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=8819

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=7689

I've never been on that one, so I can't really comment about it and I dunno if it'll ever resurface. Good mention, though. It takes lots of nuts (And time) to do so many games; maybe there's hope?

• 4 weeks later...

Well, if you guys are looking for something nhl 94 based, the VIHL I am running over at thebreakaway.net has over 150 members and 7 full teams.

I know a couple of guys from here who have gotten a little bit of enjoyment joining up!