NHL'94 Forums

Important Question Concerning This GDL Season

CamKneely

How to deal with the players?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Dispersal draft
    • Deactivation

Shifty (Toronto) has quit the league. There aren't many solid options on the waiting list, and the ones who are, are needed for possible replacement once the actual season starts. So we can either have a dispersal draft, weighting it so that weaker teams have a chance at picking up better players, or just deactivate all of his players for this season, which would skew some of the season stats and history of the league. What does everyone think?

I know that it's not one of the options but I would take over his team. I was pretty bummed not to get in to the GDL in the first place.

Shifty (Toronto) has quit the league. There aren't many solid options on the waiting list, and the ones who are, are needed for possible replacement once the actual season starts. So we can either have a dispersal draft, weighting it so that weaker teams have a chance at picking up better players, or just deactivate all of his players for this season, which would skew some of the season stats and history of the league. What does everyone think?
Edited by nasinater

We need to weight these options for a bit. I'm looking to see what the other guys think and if there's anyone good enough to take Shifty's place. Someone might surprise us.

Why did Shifty quit anyway? Won't he have time?

A dispersal draft is totally unfair. Whoever gets Roy would be overpowered yeah it's just not fair. How do you judge "weaker" teams anyways? A team that drafted poorly and made stupid trades is "weaker" so we reward this behavior by giving him the best goalie in the game? Just not right. 23 is a stupid number of teams I know, but you shouldn't have gone with 23 to begin with then. Deactivate them or give them to somebody on the waiting list are really the only options.

A dispersal draft is totally unfair. Whoever gets Roy would be overpowered yeah it's just not fair. How do you judge "weaker" teams anyways? A team that drafted poorly and made stupid trades is "weaker" so we reward this behavior by giving him the best goalie in the game? Just not right. 23 is a stupid number of teams I know, but you shouldn't have gone with 23 to begin with then. Deactivate them or give them to somebody on the waiting list are really the only options.

ok. now if you do deactivate them and choose a person from a waiting list and they take over the team what if they don't play?

He thinks he got swindled in trades even though his team was kind of stacked so he lost interest after losing exhibitions.

If he was part of the Hokkee Trade Carousel, he must know what he was getting into and further, he must know when to keep the good players he has and concentrate on getting depth for the rest of the draft. You gotta take responsability if you're going to make jumps like that when buidling your team.

So I went around a bit on the Carousel between Verbeek and Khristich. Big deal. Once I managed to see that Khristich was the better fit (With testing of course), I decided to stand my ground and keep the Predators as they were. If you believe your team is pretty good and you've gotten used to your players, KEEP IT THAT WAY. Either that, or go back to the drawing board and adjust your tactics with your players' strengths in mind.

Darn shame he decided to leave, though.

I think the easiest solution is to give the team,the way it is, to the next person on the waiting list. Im sure theres more than 1 dude on it. If someone gets booted mid season, i'm sure theres plenty of guys who will want to step in. Update the waiting list, and msg to all those noobs, start signing up!!!!!

This.

A dispersal draft would be too random and unfair. Having 23 team is kinda retarded since one conference would have one more team than the other. Desactivate is the way to go

since his best player is ROy, a goalie, whose stats are typically measured in ratios (GAA, SV%) rather than magnitudes (goals, assists), I don't think deactivation would be too bad. It's not like deactivating Bure and letting him fall 100 goals back in his career.

Another option is a trickle-down redraft. See if the owner of the 3rd draft pick wants roy, and he does, he gives up that player, who then can be taken by the next guy. Lack of reply within a certain period of time means no interest. If you switch players, you shouldn't be able to trade the player you picked up (this will avoid people switching guys and trying to trade up, causing more switches to be necessary, wasting time).

You could do all the players at once. There hsould be a way to make it work, though it might take a while (a week?) to complete. Most guys at this point will be happy with their team and not want to switch for some random guy another guy dropped.

Another option is a trickle-down redraft. See if the owner of the 3rd draft pick wants roy, and he does, he gives up that player, who then can be taken by the next guy. Lack of reply within a certain period of time means no interest. If you switch players, you shouldn't be able to trade the player you picked up (this will avoid people switching guys and trying to trade up, causing more switches to be necessary, wasting time).

You could do all the players at once. There hsould be a way to make it work, though it might take a while (a week?) to complete. Most guys at this point will be happy with their team and not want to switch for some random guy another guy dropped.

actually, i guess due to positional constraints, this could be difficult.. if someone wants roy, they'd probably have to drop an elite forward, and they they'd have 3 goalies.. maybe you'd have to say you can only switch for the same position.. but then whoever drafted Fuhr (3rd goalie drafted, probably) gets an automatic upgrade to Roy..

Edited by smozoma

since his best player is ROy, a goalie, whose stats are typically measured in ratios (GAA, SV%) rather than magnitudes (goals, assists), I don't think deactivation would be too bad. It's not like deactivating Bure and letting him fall 100 goals back in his career.

All this is too complicated, just give me Toronto and get GDL 7 going!

That would be the more sensible 3rd option to have. It's all a matter of adaptation and if you're willing to make your team work. I barely missed the playoffs last season with the team I had with Nashville, so things are possible.

lol he lefT?

this guys just ruins everything bann him

I'm gonna stick around and play out the games to the best of my ability. I should have kept Sakic and Recchi but I far underestimated the effect of the weight bug and wanted Roy pretty bad.

Sorry about the confusion, see some of you in the playoffs.

I'm gonna stick around and play out the games to the best of my ability. I should have kept Sakic and Recchi but I far underestimated the effect of the weight bug and wanted Roy pretty bad.

ernie-bert-wtf.jpg

will you retire again if you lose 3 straight games?

We like keepin' cancers around.

well ya your still around. i thought you retired anyway, or was that just a lame attempt to get attention?

this shifty shii is madness. first complain how you screwed yourself, quit after the draft then... rejoin? wtga :angry: unnecessary

well ya your still around. i thought you retired anyway, or was that just a lame attempt to get attention?

this shifty shii is madness. first complain how you screwed yourself, quit after the draft then... rejoin? wtga :angry: unnecessary

I know. DOES NOT COMPUTE. To say this is a little messed up is an understatement.

Yeah but i do that thing you know... ah yes win!

Yeah but i do that thing you know... ah yes win!

since?

Edit: :angry:

Edited by Freydey

hhaaha

your selective choice of series is funny :angry:

why dont you put em all?

PS: for me, you will always remain as the ''toilet'' champion

Edited by Freydey