NHL'94 Forums

Trade Deadline Update 2010

Triumph

whee, they're all done.

once again, i may have some numbers wrong but i think i caught them all.

the all-star teams are team canada and team USA - west is canada, east USA. patrice bergeron is not on team canada because the western all-stars only had 21 players.

unzip this directly into your NHL95 folder to make it work. make sure to backup all your *.db files. i was able to simulate a season with these, so they do work.

also, there is something weird going on with the calgary team - for some inexplicable reason, i cannot add any players to the roster in the central registry, it tells me the roster is full when it clearly isn't. i imagine calgary fans wish that darryl sutter had this problem as well. anyway, this is why dustin boyd is still a member of the team, as i don't want to move any players out if i cannot get them back in.

2010DEADLINE.rar

Edited by Triumph

this first text file is interesting - what exactly is it doing though? i see the CHECKME next to players whose names slightly vary.

also i moved turris, tikhonov, and boedker to the free agents because phoenix decided to acquire like 20 players at the deadline, and i don't feel like remaking those guys when they (probably) make the coyotes next year.

The first text file is basically a side-by-side comparison of the nhl.com database and the players from .DB-files from NHL95 so that you can see if there's anything missing. The CHECKME's simply mean that the alignment looks fine but that there might be an error in the comparison: It does not know if the two names are the same guy or not. Sometimes it's just that the names are slightly different spelled but it's the same guy, other times it's a completely different. Checkme = check this text line manually.

Checkme's also indicatate that the row before and after might also be messed up somehow. Also I think the nhl.com database is not always entirely up to date either.

yeah they're not updated - i see guys like kotalik still on the rangers - but this is real cool.

this last file - could you do this for the original nhl95 databases? i thought in my ratings i had tried to increase the average speed and agility to 65, but it seems this isn't the case (though goalies may be throwing it off)

Sure, here's on the original DB..

The goalies are not included in the skills (AGI, SPE and so forth). They are however included in the left-most colum ("skill=1...").

EDIT: I didn't actually add it all up, but it seems like the new rosters have a generally higher individual skill for the players.

per_team.txt

Edited by golub

thanks a lot. yeah, okay, my rosters are slightly higher skilled, which is exactly what i'd want to reflect the fact that the nhl has more skill now in general.

as for 25-100 - players with 25 skill in anything are REALLY bad. watching the olympic tournament, i don't even think players from lesser hockey countries like belarus or latvia would get a 25 in major categories (their worst players would be small and have around 60 in speed, 45-50ish in shot power, accuracy etc.). there's a reason why none of the players in the original game have less than 40 in anything, because 40 is already real bad. a player with a 25 in a major category (speed, agility, shot power, passing, off awareness, defensive awareness) would probably struggle to make the AHL.

Edited by Triumph

That's nice. I like your rosters and it's a nice reflection to include the increased skill.

And yes, I do realize that that 25 is really, really bad. What I meant was that I wanted a "special" version of the database where players' skills make even a greater influence on the game. Right now, a player with 70+ in any skill is a pretty decent goal-scorer. When it drops below 45 it starts getting hard enough to provide some fun. What I meant was not that it would actually reflect the true skill of the players. All players in the NHL are extremely good hockey players, so for example skill 25 would have to be relatively interpreted. In other words 25 would be the score for the worst players _of the league_, not the entire world. I also realized that this would probably make them unfairly crappy - which is exactly what I want. 100 would be only for the top players like Ovetjkin. So, it wouldn't be so much to reflect reality in the available player attributes, more about making the game feel good/challenging/diverse.

On a somewhat related matter, I also believe there are many properties of players which can't be properly captured by settings those values. For example, Kronwall is well-known to step up on people who don't keep their heads up and basically tackle/run them over. This simply can not be modeled with the attributes, even with a high offensive skill or checking skill (although both probably helps). In many ways, I think more important is to make the game feel like reality rather than making sure that the attributes are the players true abilities in those attributes in the game (as if it was the only way of measuring players).. more accurate would be to provide player-set algorithms for that purpose.. and I realize that is not available :-)

Edited by golub

Golub, I´ll post my deadline rosters in the "Another set of updates for NHL95" -thread on Sunday if I get ´em done during the weekend. I´ve used the whole spectrum in my ratings. The star players might also have slightly worse skills than in Triumph´s version.

That's nice. I like your rosters and it's a nice reflection to include the increased skill.

And yes, I do realize that that 25 is really, really bad. What I meant was that I wanted a "special" version of the database where players' skills make even a greater influence on the game. Right now, a player with 70+ in any skill is a pretty decent goal-scorer. When it drops below 45 it starts getting hard enough to provide some fun. What I meant was not that it would actually reflect the true skill of the players. All players in the NHL are extremely good hockey players, so for example skill 25 would have to be relatively interpreted. In other words 25 would be the score for the worst players _of the league_, not the entire world. I also realized that this would probably make them unfairly crappy - which is exactly what I want. 100 would be only for the top players like Ovetjkin. So, it wouldn't be so much to reflect reality in the available player attributes, more about making the game feel good/challenging/diverse.

On a somewhat related matter, I also believe there are many properties of players which can't be properly captured by settings those values. For example, Kronwall is well-known to step up on people who don't keep their heads up and basically tackle/run them over. This simply can not be modeled with the attributes, even with a high offensive skill or checking skill (although both probably helps). In many ways, I think more important is to make the game feel like reality rather than making sure that the attributes are the players true abilities in those attributes in the game (as if it was the only way of measuring players).. more accurate would be to provide player-set algorithms for that purpose.. and I realize that is not available :-)

i see. i just don't think 25 skill makes for good gameplay at all, just unbalances things even further towards superstar players, who are basically unstoppable as it is. if i were playing a human opponent, i would probably rather double-shift people than play someone with 25 skill.