NHL'94 Forums

Banner and Logo Editing

I'm new to the whole editing thing. I've read a lot of the threads, have used wboy's screen references, and have watched the how-to videos on working with Tile Molester. I know how to do the the player ratings, and I've been able to edit the splash screens, the clock, Ron Barr's photo and text, the ice, the puck, uniforms, and all that good stuff. But I'm still having issues with the team select banners and logos. I haven't even attempted on-ice logos yet.

I skipped trying to edit the team select banners and jumped right into editing the team select logos. While I can get the logos to display, the colors are all messed up. I had loaded the palette dec codes from NOSE. I had already edited uniforms, and had made teams wear home whites, so I used the road palette. Of course, I also tried the home palette, and the logo colors are still a train wreck.

Now, is it because I didn't edit the team select banners first? Do their colors somehow affect the logo colors? Any tips on making the team select logos look better?

By the way, I'm trying to insert old logos like the Nordiques over the Blue Jackets, North Stars over the Wild, Whalers over the Hurricanes, and Jets over the Coyotes.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

When trying to edit the select logos, you don't use the palette from NOSE. The palette used for team select logos is 1868270. The size of that palette is 480. Use the arrow buttons near the palette in TM to cycle through until you hit the palette that is clearly the one associated with that teams logo. DO NOT EDIT A LOGO WITH THE WRONG PALETTE SELECTED, YOU WILL F*** UP YOUR ROM. Until you've made 50 roms, save the rom under a different name every single time you successfully edit a logo, because should you F*** UP YOUR ROM, you will have no chance to recover it...you'll have to start over...like I've done so many times...then you may cry...like I've done so many times...Anyway, I hope that helps, any questions just post em up...

I'm new to the whole editing thing. I've read a lot of the threads, have used wboy's screen references, and have watched the how-to videos on working with Tile Molester. I know how to do the the player ratings, and I've been able to edit the splash screens, the clock, Ron Barr's photo and text, the ice, the puck, uniforms, and all that good stuff. But I'm still having issues with the team select banners and logos. I haven't even attempted on-ice logos yet.

I skipped trying to edit the team select banners and jumped right into editing the team select logos. While I can get the logos to display, the colors are all messed up. I had loaded the palette dec codes from NOSE. I had already edited uniforms, and had made teams wear home whites, so I used the road palette. Of course, I also tried the home palette, and the logo colors are still a train wreck.

Now, is it because I didn't edit the team select banners first? Do their colors somehow affect the logo colors? Any tips on making the team select logos look better?

By the way, I'm trying to insert old logos like the Nordiques over the Blue Jackets, North Stars over the Wild, Whalers over the Hurricanes, and Jets over the Coyotes.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.

I think you have to manually edit the palette and pick the colours you want. double-click a colour to bring up a colour selection dialog. Hope that helps.. i don't know much about editing graphics.

Thanks for the help, fellas. The palette thing Beavers said makes sense. I'll try and fix it up tonight and will let you know how it goes.

Yeah, I learned the hard way about saving ROMS, so now I save a new one each time I successfully add something.

And I can't tell you how much I'm enjoying all this stuff. When I was a lad, I used to always think, "If only I could make my own NHL game..." And now thanks to all you guys, I can. I'm living the dream.

By the way, I was a hockey writer for many years and still run a somewhat prominent hockey site, but back in the day, I actually used to do player ratings for video games. It was a freelance gig through Stats Inc. And then they gave my ratings to Sega, although I don't think they were used in the EA titles. But I used to look forward to doing the ratings every year, so this is bringing back good memories.

Thanks again.

Edited by dell1921

By the way, I was a hockey writer for many years and still run a somewhat prominent hockey site, but back in the day, I actually used to do player ratings for video games. It was a freelance gig through Stats Inc. And then they gave my ratings to Sega, although I don't think they were used in the EA titles. But I used to look forward to doing the ratings every year, so this is bringing back good memories.

that's awesome

an idea that has been bandied around on there a lot is having a 'player ratings' section to help people come up with ratings for current players in ROMs...

that's awesome

an idea that has been bandied around on there a lot is having a 'player ratings' section to help people come up with ratings for current players in ROMs...

Yeah, I'd be glad to help. Just let me know.

And do you remember the old hockey game Sega used to make in the late 1990s? Keith Tkachuk was the poster boy and did the commercials and whatnot. Because I think that's the game that may have used the ratings. Stats Inc would never tell us, but the instructions they gave always came from Sega, not EA. So I'm guessing it was the Tkachuk game. But I never played it to find out. I only cared about the check clearing.

The ROM I'm working on now will have all the all-time greats on it. But I'm using reduced speed levels to try and slow the game down and make it more realistic. Speed ratings will only be 0-3, or maybe even 0-2. But speed will still be relative, so Orr, Coffey, and the like will still fly in comparison. And I've found giving high agility ratings can provide more speed variations. I just find the game far more enjoyable when people aren't flying around scoring crazy goals. All the other ratings are still on a 0-6 scale, though.

And do you remember the old hockey game Sega used to make in the late 1990s? Keith Tkachuk was the poster boy and did the commercials and whatnot. Because I think that's the game that may have used the ratings. Stats Inc would never tell us, but the instructions they gave always came from Sega, not EA. So I'm guessing it was the Tkachuk game. But I never played it to find out. I only cared about the check clearing.

The ROM I'm working on now will have all the all-time greats on it. But I'm using reduced speed levels to try and slow the game down and make it more realistic. Speed ratings will only be 0-3, or maybe even 0-2. But speed will still be relative, so Orr, Coffey, and the like will still fly in comparison. And I've found giving high agility ratings can provide more speed variations. I just find the game far more enjoyable when people aren't flying around scoring crazy goals. All the other ratings are still on a 0-6 scale, though.

0-3 is too slow; no one will want to play it... What's the point of having a player named Bure on the ice if he takes 20 seconds to skate the length of the rink? :D Maybe aim for 2-4 with a few 5s..

Of course, it's your ROM, though, so if that's what you want to play, that's fine :)

Edited by smozoma

0-3 is too slow; no one will want to play it... What's the point of having a player named Bure on the ice if he takes 20 seconds to skate the length of the rink? :D Maybe aim for 2-4 with a few 5s..

Of course, it's your ROM, though, so if that's what you want to play, that's fine :)

But that's the thing, though, 3 isn't too slow. It sounds like it would be, but when everything else is slowed down, it's still fast. Speed is relative. The fast guys are still fast. And it's much more realistic. I'll let you know when it's done, and you can give it a whirl.

Okay, I've got the banners the way I want them, but the select screen logos are still giving me issues.

I paste in the image I want, set up the palette so that it looks real nice on the Tile Molester, but then when I open the ROM, the colors are still all messed up.

I loaded the 1868270 palette and toggled through until I found something close to the team colors, but that wasn't working. The logos were still messed up in the game. So I eventually tried to just edit the palette up to fit the team. That got the logo to look great in TM, but it still doesn't work on the game.

Here are some screen captures to illustrate the point...

nhl94-logos1.jpg

NHL94-logos2.jpg

Any thoughts?

Not sure if I've seen that before when making a rom. I think I have, but it would have been very, very early in my hacking experience. Can you send me a bigger screen capture of your logo in TM with the palette options showing? You can post here or email to adam.mcarthur@st.bemidjistate.edu.

I figured I'd just post it here so everyone can learn from my mistakes.

I went back to my last saved ROM and started over. All I did was try and paste in a new Buffalo logo. The dimensions are 48X48, and it's a png file.

I just loaded up the palette and toggled through until I found one with Buffalo colors. I didn't edit any of the colors. I didn't touch a thing. Then I pasted the image and anchored it. It looks fine in TM, but once again, when I open it in the game, it still looks like the above photo with the dark red coloring. And here's the new TM screen shot...

nhl94-logos3.jpg

Thanks again for all your help.

Okay, I figured it out.

I was just editing the wrong palette panel. Even though I was finding a panel with Buffalo colors, that didn't mean it was the Buffalo panel. The panel I needed to edit still had the red and black colors associated with the bison head logo, and not the added crossed swords logo.

So for any other rookies out there, keep in mind that each palette panel is associated with a specific team. That was the concept I didn't seem to grasp.

When you first load the 1868270 palette, the first panel to pop up is Anaheim. If you toggle to the right, the second panel will be Atlanta, and so on. Since the colors were a bit muted, or changed in some cases due to the logo changes I had made, I wasn't seeing the connection.

Thanks again, fellas, for all your help. I'm sure I may be posting again when I tackle the ice logos.

When trying to edit the select logos, you don't use the palette from NOSE. The palette used for team select logos is 1868270. The size of that palette is 480. Use the arrow buttons near the palette in TM to cycle through until you hit the palette that is clearly the one associated with that teams logo. DO NOT EDIT A LOGO WITH THE WRONG PALETTE SELECTED, YOU WILL F*** UP YOUR ROM. Until you've made 50 roms, save the rom under a different name every single time you successfully edit a logo, because should you F*** UP YOUR ROM, you will have no chance to recover it...you'll have to start over...like I've done so many times...then you may cry...like I've done so many times...Anyway, I hope that helps, any questions just post em up...

I tried to tell you, but I might not have properly conveyed the message I was trying to. Instead of saying wrong palette, I should have said something else. I guess the way you put it, panel, would have been much more helpful. :unsure: :unsure:

I tried to tell you, but I might not have properly conveyed the message I was trying to. Instead of saying wrong palette, I should have said something else. I guess the way you put it, panel, would have been much more helpful. :unsure: :unsure:

Yeah, I was just confused about what "palette" actually meant. I was thinking it only meant the two rows of 16 colors at the bottom of the screen. When in reality, that's just one panel (or whatever word you want to use) of the overall larger palette. Now it's all good.

• 13 years later...
On 3/17/2010 at 6:42 PM, dell1921 said:

That would be NHL 2k, 2k1, 2k2 on the dreamcast. That game deserves a port to pc too.