NHL'94 Forums

SNES 93 - Expanding ROM to more teams

top shelf

yeah, i'm going to try it. the graphics will be the tough part. also, i think 94 is written in a way that will unfortunately make it a bit harder to find the bank/pointers to change to redirect to the new banks. 93 was very straight-forward, but i think 94 will use a few more tricks since the writers are probably way more experienced (93 appeared to be very rushed).

The pointers to the teams in 94 immediately precede the teams but they're spaced inbetween the bytes "9C 00".

Jerseys may not have a pointer, the 28 teams are in sequential order it appears starting with the away jerseys at decimal location 740304.

Also the banner color palette pointers may be around decimal location 918969. That looks like it could be a pointer bank and matches one of the team's banner locations.

The pointers to the teams in 94 immediately precede the teams but they're spaced inbetween the bytes "9C 00".

Jerseys may not have a pointer, the 28 teams are in sequential order it appears starting with the away jerseys at decimal location 740304.

Also the banner color palette pointers may be around decimal location 918969. That looks like it could be a pointer bank and matches one of the team's banner locations.

the 9c00 is actually part of the pointer, specifying the bank (SNES game ROMs are divided up into $8000-byte banks, to get around the 16-bit address limitation that would otherwise have limited ROMs to only 16kb, instead of several mb). i don't think the game actually uses the bank part of these pointers, though, it just assumes 9c00 elsewhere (that's what 93 does, anyway). The Genesis CPU doesn't have this issue, since, despite being 16-bit, it actually has a 24-bit (3 byte) address bus, allowing ROMs to be up to 16 mb without issue (it may even be 32 bit, but I seem to remember reading that it's 24..). The registers (temporary data holders) are all 32-bits, too, so you can store full pointers in them... it's an awesome CPU and is still perhaps the most popular one in the world for small embedded systems, even though it's ancient. It's so much nicer to program. The SNES one is pretty annoying for a number of reasons..

It sounds like the sweaters then would have a base pointer to the first one, and then it would calculate offsets to the next ones. thanks for the start location.

We'll have to start a 94 editing thread (or reuse an existing one) to dump all our knowledge in (where mine is practically zero at this point)