NHL'94 Forums

Is it hard to root for todays players?

onetimer94

Is it just me or is hard to root for todays players. The players in nhl 94 are the players I grew up watching and admiring. LaFontaine, Bourque, Lemiuex, Roenick, Stevens just to name a few.I love to see Stevens level Ovi the way he leveled Lindros. Or Probert smash in Crosbys pussy lips smile. Maybe Im just getting old. I feel like Walt in Gran Torino. The worlds changing and Im having a hard time adjusting. Get off my lawn!!

I have to agree, at least on some levels. Maybe it's just cause when you get older everything is fonder from your growing up and child hood.

But I find myself saying "Man, I miss so-and-so" many times when I'm watching todays NHL... or even sports in general.

I grew up with Lemieux, Yzerman, etc... I think there was a lull of stars in the early 2000s (also maybe had something to do with low-scoring clutch and grab hockey), but I think there has been a revitalization of young exciting stars. If you don't like Ovechkin or Crosby, how do you feel about some of the other young stars like Stamkos or Toews?

I have no problem cheering for my team this year. All guys who work theyr hearts out each game.

Gionta sets the example checking the big d-mans with his 5''6.¸

Moen came back to play after getting his forehead cut by a blade and receiving a puck in the eye the game after.

Good enough for me.

There's other players, the Sedins are sharing the same brain, and Henrik is NHL leader with 101 points.

Nicklas Backstrom. An unrecognized jewel. 4th in league for points

Way fewer end to end drives, as the game is more strategic.

Edited by The Russian Rocket

I grew up with Lemieux, Yzerman, etc... I think there was a lull of stars in the early 2000s (also maybe had something to do with low-scoring clutch and grab hockey), but I think there has been a revitalization of young exciting stars. If you don't like Ovechkin or Crosby, how do you feel about some of the other young stars like Stamkos or Toews?

Toews , Parise, and Taveres are the ones Im watching. Andy Greene and Tyler Myers have been pleasant surprises.

Still got Recchi, Lidstrom, and Blake hanging around to keep the old spirit going.

Toews , Parise, and Taveres are the ones Im watching. Andy Greene and Tyler Myers have been pleasant surprises.

Still got Recchi, Lidstrom, and Blake hanging around to keep the old spirit going.

I spelled Tavares name wrong see how much these new players interest me lol jk.

I forgot Niedermayer hanging around too. How can I forget him. If it wasnt for Lidstrom he would have won a hell of alot more Norris trophys.

Toews has been something. I could easily rank him as one of the top Captains in the league even considering how young he is.

I hear you onetimer, it is extremely difficult to get behind not only players but teams as well. Most of the problem is because of the a**hole running the league. He attempted to grow the league but was successful at only creating teams with watered -down rosters and players that are overpaid prima donnas. The league was in desperate need of an overhaul (contraction, performance based salaries, fewer games, etc.) at the lockout and all we got was a tweak.

hmm.. are you implying there are not tough guys that can score?

No. There are obviously tough guys who can score, and I agree that Ovie is one of them. I was thinking more in terms of someone who scores a lot and drops the gloves a lot too. I don't think Matt Bradley would let Ovechkin be that type of player even if he wanted to.

I'm not sure if it's worth it, considering the risk of hurting your hands, face, shoulder etc. but I just wonder if you'll see it again. I guess Iginla would be the closest these days.

No. There are obviously tough guys who can score, and I agree that Ovie is one of them. I was thinking more in terms of someone who scores a lot and drops the gloves a lot too. I don't think Matt Bradley would let Ovechkin be that type of player even if he wanted to.

I'm not sure if it's worth it, considering the risk of hurting your hands, face, shoulder etc. but I just wonder if you'll see it again. I guess Iginla would be the closest these days.

As I was reading this post I instantly thought of Iginla and couldn't wait to reply with his name, until I eventually read your last line and realized you mentioned him. I can see a guy like Steve Downie becoming a consistent 30 goal scorer and 200 PIM guy, but he doesn't come close to comparing with Clark, Roberts, Neely. He's a dirty player and needs to clean up his act and have more respect for other players significantly before I start to give him any respect. If Milan Lucic can stay healthy and continue to improve he could become a mirror image of the Clark, Roberts and Neely greats!

I must be alone in seeing the resurgence of stars in today's game.

i agree with what you've said, how there were lots of stars in the early 90s, and then no one new for about a decade (except maybe forsberg and kariya.. and palffy when healthy.. ), and now it's the young guys who are the stars again.

Edited by smozoma

Do not forget Selanne! And if he does come back, possibly Jaromir Jagr too.

I wonder if there will ever be guys like Clark, Roberts, Neely or Tocchet again.

There may be guys like that, Louie. There may. Give it a bit of time and know where to look.

Well, if that was what keeps enforcers from doing their jobs, they would not exist, now would they? You have to get your hands dirty, even if it comes from your blood.

(Though they will prefer their opponent's blodd instead)

There are some stars that are wasting away on useless teams, like Nash in Columbus.

Yeah, a few of them are just stuck on bad teams and they're the only redeeming factors of them all. I guess it's tough to get lucky like Kovalchuk was.

Columbus saw a glimpse of light last year. All the core is signed and young. Give'em another year.

If the Coyotes managed to reach the top spots of the league, maybe the Blue Jackets will reach it too in the next year.

Yeah, a few of them are just stuck on bad teams and they're the only redeeming factors of them all. I guess it's tough to get lucky like Kovalchuk was.

Nash was inked by his own volition, he would of been a UFA after this season but opted to sign an 8 year contract with the Jackets. Which is unconscionable to me.

Columbus will likely be a speed bag in the Central Division for teams like Detroit and Chicago for the foreseeable future, and for the remainder of this decade, if past is prologue.

Root for the sport and the selfless players who sacrifice the body to block shots, kill penalties, or win draws at critical moments for the sake of doing whatever it takes to help a team win.. And will likely have a hard time getting out of bed 20 years from now, if they don't already.

Those are the players I like to see do well. The Glen Metropolit's, Ian Lapierre's, and Ryan Kesler's of today's league.

I have a huge cache of hockey broadcast DVD's next to a small 17in DVD-TV combo that I watch usually when exercising.

Watching guys like Clarke (Wendel and Bobby), Neely, Messier, Kevin Stevens, Tocchet, Horton, and their ilk, it's amazing how much the game has changed and how much faster the pace is without all the dry humping, hooking, and lighter equipment..

Can't say it's a better game now, but I don't think we'll be seeing players like again. That era is over.