NHL'94 Forums

Must see hockey movies!

halifax

I watched the first part of the Don Cherry movie last night on CBC(second part is on tonight). Whether you like Don or not, I think this is a must see for any hockey fan.

Some other must see hockey movies.

Slapshot (Nothin beats Reg Dunlop and the hanson bros)

The Rocket ("I don't wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the Rocket!")

Miracle (Al Michaels' has the best hockey call of all time)

Net Worth (Ted Lindsay gets f'd over big time)

I watched the first part of the Don Cherry movie last night on CBC(second part is on tonight). Whether you like Don or not, I think this is a must see for any hockey fan.

Some other must see hockey movies.

Slapshot (Nothin beats Reg Dunlop and the hanson bros)

The Rocket ("I don't wanna see Maurice tonight, I want the Rocket!")

Miracle (Al Michaels' has the best hockey call of all time)

Net Worth (Ted Lindsay gets f'd over big time)

Yah that Don Cherry story is pretty interesting. I'm excited to watch the rest tonight. The actors voice is almost identical to the real Cherry's eh? Haha good movie so far. All those movies you mentioned are great too except I haven't seen "Net Worth", I'll have to rent it and give it a watch. Another one I like that's similar to the Don Cherry one because it was a made for TV CBC special was Canada Russia 72. My brother actually had a non-speaking role in the movie. He played number 19 Vladamir Shadrin for the Soviets! HAHAHA traitor! He got to keep all the old school hockey gear and CCCP jersey too so that's pretty cool. It was filmed in Fredericton where the UNB Varsity Reds play for anyone who didn't know.

Another one I like that's similar to the Don Cherry one because it was a made for TV CBC special was Canada Russia 72. My brother actually had a non-speaking role in the movie. He played number 19 Vladamir Shadrin for the Soviets! HAHAHA traitor! He got to keep all the old school hockey gear and CCCP jersey too so that's pretty cool. It was filmed in Fredericton where the UNB Varsity Reds play for anyone who didn't know.

I haven't seen that one yet. The guys who produced it also produced trailer park boys(A show that I was working on at the time). I was told I would be the "behind the scenes" producer for the 72 series movie and then they gave it to someone else last minute because of the NB film union.(since i was living in NS at the time). Sucked because I was all prepared to go to and really wanted to do it.

That's cool your bro was in the movie. One of my buddy's played Tony Esposito.

I haven't seen that one yet. The guys who produced it also produced trailer park boys(A show that I was working on at the time). I was told I would be the "behind the scenes" producer for the 72 series movie and then they gave it to someone else last minute because of the NB film union.(since i was living in NS at the time). Sucked because I was all prepared to go to and really wanted to do it.

That's cool your bro was in the movie. One of my buddy's played Tony Esposito.

Thats funny, yah I think my brother was there for like 13 days of filming. Got a couple hundred bucks a day so not too shabby. They made him play with a left handed stick too even though he's a right shot naturally (because Shadrin shot left.) Overall it's a pretty good movie though. Obviously the filming and acting isn't Hollywood material but the story line is great. All the behind the scenes stuff that happened during the Summit Series is really interesting. You definitely have to see it, the Hotel scene in Moscow is ridiculous hahaha and apparently true too!

Mystery, Alaska has Messier and a lot of the Rangers in it.

Don Cherry's autobiography "Grapes" is a good read, but is out of print I think..

Yeah I read grapes...it was a good book indeed. He talks about Eddie Shore a lot in it.

And the film has a lot of Eddie Shore.

Spoiler:

One scene Eddie ties a rope to the net with a noose on the other end. He puts the noose around the goalie's neck and starts firing pucks low on him...telling him not to go down...of course the goalie goes down a couple times almost chocking himself...lol

Thats funny, yah I think my brother was there for like 13 days of filming. Got a couple hundred bucks a day so not too shabby. They made him play with a left handed stick too even though he's a right shot naturally (because Shadrin shot left.) Overall it's a pretty good movie though. Obviously the filming and acting isn't Hollywood material but the story line is great. All the behind the scenes stuff that happened during the Summit Series is really interesting. You definitely have to see it, the Hotel scene in Moscow is ridiculous hahaha and apparently true too!

thats sick he got to be in the movie! to bad about the russian part tho lol B)

Nice. I got the Home (Blue) jersey from the starting goaler in Slapshot at my house. My dad bought it from a friend (When the movie was realized) and he sent it back to the actor earlier this year. It's now a signed jersey.

A nice piece of collection.