NHL'94 Forums

Coach K 2010 Edit Done.

I started writing the editor for this thing...so far so good...I'm writing it in WPF which has been enjoyable to work with thus far, with a few stumbling blocks. It's a whole new world after working with winforms and web apps...kind of refreshing, actually. Anyways, just checkin' in...

post-3201-1270332755_thumb.jpg

I started writing the editor for this thing...so far so good...I'm writing it in WPF which has been enjoyable to work with thus far, with a few stumbling blocks. It's a whole new world after working with winforms and web apps...kind of refreshing, actually. Anyways, just checkin' in...

Okay i can edit logs thanks to tile molestor, but still can't figurehow they are assigned to the teams as well as the color palletes. Only issue i am going to have is in team select, as the champ teams share with there normal counterparts, but in gameplay it uses a different logo. The logo assignment is my main priority as colrs palletes are being worked around without a problem. Just would like to add 7 more logos for those 7 teams(NC State doesn't have a normal team, but still had 2 logos...weird.) Hopefull finished by next week.

there's no byte flipping with the genesis, due to it using a motorola CPU

i think colours are coded using the hex values 0/2/4/6/8/a/c/e. 000 is black. eee is white.

this is a bit strange since you'd expect fff to be white, but that value isn't used (in nhl 94 anyway?). consequently you need to take the scaling into account somehow..

I'm not sure what order they are in RGB, BGR, or another order..

Can you give me an example of this with some color? I want to take the RGB values and convert it to hex so I can write that back to the ROM...

Can you give me an example of this with some color? I want to take the RGB values and convert it to hex so I can write that back to the ROM...

say you have the colour "Metallic Gold", which has the RGB value #D4AF37.

On the genesis, you only have the even numbers to use, up to E...

so it could be approximated as CA2. D4->C, AF->A, 37->2. However, I think it uses a different order, so it might be 2CA or AC2 or something.

And I think you have pad the value to make it 2 bytes, so it becomes 0CA2.

Anyway, just experiment with it and it'll become obvious, I think. Try some test value, run the ROM, take a screen shot, open it in a graphics program, use the colour-picker tool to see what colour your tested values gave.. come up with a formula to use.. All I know off the top of my head is that the value E(14) in the Genesis palette will result in FF(255) in normal RBG, so I guess the RGB value is 18.2x(genesis value).

Getting closer...but how does D4 = C, and AF = A, and 37 = 2? Not sure how you derived that information...I'm actually using HivePal so I shouldn't have to even open the ROM to see the color it came up with...

say you have the colour "Metallic Gold", which has the RGB value #D4AF37.

On the genesis, you only have the even numbers to use, up to E...

so it could be approximated as CA2. D4->C, AF->A, 37->2. However, I think it uses a different order, so it might be 2CA or AC2 or something.

And I think you have pad the value to make it 2 bytes, so it becomes 0CA2.

Anyway, just experiment with it and it'll become obvious, I think. Try some test value, run the ROM, take a screen shot, open it in a graphics program, use the colour-picker tool to see what colour your tested values gave.. come up with a formula to use.. All I know off the top of my head is that the value E(14) in the Genesis palette will result in FF(255) in normal RBG, so I guess the RGB value is 18.2x(genesis value).

Getting closer...but how does D4 = C, and AF = A, and 37 = 2? Not sure how you derived that information...I'm actually using HivePal so I shouldn't have to even open the ROM to see the color it came up with...

Maybe I'm explaining it backwards..

These EA games (I'm not sure if it's the Genesis in general) can only display a certain set of colours. Valid genesis RGB values are 0/2/4/6/8/a/c/e (the even hex numbers).

The Genesis doesn't use the order RGB. I think it's BRG. You'll have to experiment, though, to find out. I'll continue assuming it's BRG, so blue is specified first, not red...

Also, the genesis uses 4 characters (2 bytes) to represent a colour. The first character is ignored, it's just padding to use an even number of bytes.

Genesis BRG: 0000 is Black. The first value is actually ignored, so you can think of it as 000.

24-bit RGB: 000000 is Black.

Genesis: 0EEE is white (EEE).

24-bit: FFFFFF is white

So you need to map E to FF.. E is 14. FF is 255. So the mapping factor is 255/14=18.2. 14x18.2=255

Genesis: 0E00 is blue (E00).

24-bit: 0000FF is blue.

Genesis BRG: 00E8 is orange (0E8.. ignore the first 0, it's just padding.).

24-bit RGB: it maps to roughly... E is 14, 14x18.2=255, 8x18.2=146=>92 in hex. So it maps to roughly FF9200.

So, because there are so many more 24-bit colours than genesis colours, if you want to convert an arbitrary colour (like my example of D4AF37) to genesis, you need to round it. I just rounded down. D4->D->C. AF->A. 37->3->2.

That's all I can really say about it.. just plug some values in the ROM and see what it shows when you run it.

I just checked, what you see in hive is the actual hex. Gold is 04 8A in hive, opened up to the same location in hex editor, and the code read " 04 8A". Looks like the first part of byte 1 is always "0". The rest use evens. 0,2,4,6,8,A,C,E. Remeber, i have not seen genesis flip any bytes.

I just checked, what you see in hive is the actual hex. Gold is 04 8A in hive, opened up to the same location in hex editor, and the code read " 04 8A". Looks like the first part of byte 1 is always "0". The rest use evens. 0,2,4,6,8,A,C,E. Remeber, i have not seen genesis flip any bytes.

The math is off Slightly, xE is actually a value of 15(x0 is counted), making a clean convert of 1/17th actual value.

right, so to convert, it is BGR, reverse of the Norm. So you need to reverse the order of RGB, then divide each value by 15.(bright yellow for example is R-255,G-255,B-0) so reverse that you have 0/17,255/17,255/17= 0,15,15=in hec 0EE, add the first default x0 and you get 00EE for yellow. Gold is R-204,g-172,b-98, reversed is 98/17,172/17,204/17=4.6,10.1,13.7=rounded to nearest odd value5,11,13 the hex values would be hex-6,A,C, so Gensis color hex would be 06AC. Hope that helps

Edited by hurricane55

I think your explanation was fine, smoz, I think my sticking point is the rounding. As in, how 13.7 Becomes C and not E. Thanks for your patience.

The math is off Slightly, xE is actually a value of 15(x0 is counted), making a clean convert of 1/17th actual value.

right, so to convert, it is BGR, reverse of the Norm. So you need to reverse the order of RGB, then divide each value by 15.(bright yellow for example is R-255,G-255,B-0) so reverse that you have 0/17,255/17,255/17= 0,15,15=in hec 0EE, add the first default x0 and you get 00EE for yellow. Gold is R-204,g-172,b-98, reversed is 98/17,172/17,204/17=4.6,10.1,13.7=rounded to nearest odd value5,11,13 the hex values would be hex-6,A,C, so Gensis color hex would be 06AC. Hope that helps

I think your explanation was fine, smoz, I think my sticking point is the rounding. As in, how 13.7 Becomes C and not E. Thanks for your patience.

Best way to look at it is like this divided true value-hex value for genesis

0-1.86=x0 1.87-3.75=x2 3.76-5.62=x4 5.63-7.49=x6 7.50-9.36=x8

9.37-11.23=xA 11.24-13.11=xC 13.12-15=xE

Edited by hurricane55

Know this is a Hockey site, but the years 1993-1994 produced some of EA's biggest sports titles on Genesis. Ther are no Coach K sites, but me and a fellow hacker have worked on Coach K....Only thing left to for a complete roster overhaul, but i did swap out old rosters to get the current teams to kinda match those from 1994. Would love for some online play...best 16 bit basketball game out there....tough D.

Here is a link if interested.

http://www.knobbe.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13434

• 3 weeks later...
Spread the word....wnat to try online asap.

I think a greatest of all time teams would be amazing idea

Georgetown Patrick Ewing Allan Iverson

or by year

or even high school great team

for kobe and james

• 5 years later...
  • 5 years later...

Hello, I just wanted to check if there was a Coach K edited rom anywhere? 

I was looking and found some mentions of it, but it is hard to track down. 

Would love to play with 82 and 95 UNC.

Thanks and happy holidays.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hurricane55, you still out there? Was just thinking about the idea of the for the first time here recently with Coach K retiring. If you still have your 2010 version, I would love to give it a run? Seems like the link mentioned way back then is no longer valid. As a player not a hacker, I have to rely on the experts out there....