NHL'94 Forums

1st Round Upsets

onetimer94

My thoughts-

Caps vs Habs- Habs in 6- Upset- Theodore gets rocked and Caps defense falls apart.

Devs vs Flyers- Devs in 5- No Upset- Brodeur finally rebounds for playoff run and Devs have 2 soild lines that can score.

Sabres vs Bruins- Sabres in 7- No Upset- Miller will fend off Bruins.

Pens vs Sens- Pens in 6- No Upset- I worry about Fleury but I think Elliot will get even more rocked than him.

Sharks vs Avs- Avs in 6- Upset- San Jose falls apart again come playoff time. Loses in 1st rd again.

Hawks vs Preds- Hawks in 4- No Upset- Hawks goaltending scares me but I think its more stable now. Hawks just have too much talent not to make a long run.

Canucks vs Kings- Kings in 7- Upset- Luongo gets rocked. Not a playoff goalie from what I have seen.

Coyotes vs Wings- Wings in 5- Upset- Even though the Coyotes are the higher seed how can you not say the Wings are the favorite. Coyotes had a great year but it comes to a end against the playoff grinder Wings.

Varlamov prolly starting...

If Theo gets rocked hes not playing the next game...would be great tho If +500 dog takes it down.

Here's Vegas' take

First Round Series (Best of Seven)

Wed 4/14 Ottawa Senators vs Pittsburgh Penguins

04:05 PM 3101 Ottawa Senators +253

3102 Pittsburgh Penguins -286

Wed 4/14 Philadelphia Flyers vs New Jersey Devils

04:35 PM 3103 Philadelphia Flyers +201

3104 New Jersey Devils -225

Wed 4/14 Detroit Red Wings vs Phoenix Coyotes

07:05 PM 3105 Detroit Red Wings -208

3106 Phoenix Coyotes +186

Wed 4/14 Colorado Avalanche vs San Jose Sharks

07:35 PM 3107 Colorado Avalanche +369

3108 San Jose Sharks -430

Thu 4/15 Montreal Canadiens vs Washington Capitals

04:05 PM 3109 Montreal Canadiens +496

3110 Washington Capitals -598

Thu 4/15 Boston Bruins vs Buffalo Sabres

04:05 PM 3111 Boston Bruins +145

3112 Buffalo Sabres -161

Thu 4/15 Los Angeles Kings vs Vancouver Canucks

07:05 PM 3113 Los Angeles Kings +202

3114 Vancouver Canucks -226

Fri 4/16 Nashville Predators vs Chicago Blackhawks

05:35 PM 3115 Nashville Predators +355

3116 Chicago Blackhawks -412

Not too many great spots for doggie wins here, but PHX +186 and Boston +145 are possibilities. Also I love the Hawks but Nashville could definitely beat them, +355 is value town.

Washington Capitals vs Montreal Shmamadians

Upset? I understand there's a lot of Canadians fans around here, but I'm going to say Washington in 5 games

I'm going to favor the President's Trophy winners, granted both teams went 2-1-1, Washington is a team on a mission and has a scary fast scoring offense that will challenge Price night after night. Don't forget to mention Washington also has the 5 leagues best +/- guys. With a leadership switch up half way through the year and a new identity for the Capitals team - I'm favoring them to run deep in the play-offs. Theodore has been great and found his groove, Varlamov was one of the leagues top 5 goalies IMO before his injury/return to the AHL (which I disagreed with strongly as my point is proven in his slow comeback) has slowly been finding his groove but both goalies need to bear down and prepare to be clutch because Montreal isn't to be looked at lightly. I wouldn't take the losses at the end of the season for the Caps too seriously, Mike Green spent time out of the line up and they have seen some new faces getting late looks after #1 seed was clinched. This team should have killer instinct from the get-go - if not then there's something seriously wrong with them.

New Jersey Devils vs Shmiladelphia Shmlyers

No Upset - Devils in 6.

The Devils have struggled with the Broad Street Bullies this season. The Flyers have gone 5-1 against the Devils who in contrast went 1-4-1, but understandingly so. The Flyers are in good shape Richards, Carter, Brier, Giroux, Hartnell, and Gagne provide two solid up front lines with Pronger, Timonen and Carle strong on the blues. Brian Boucher in between the pipes showed he can handle the play-off like atmosphere and pressure in his last game with New York. Kept the Rangers to one goal and held on throught the shoot-out to uplift his team into the post-season. Real shame for the Flyers to lose Emery for the season - he is a tremendous post-season goalie as well as he proved with Ottawa in 07... As the Flyers have had the Devils figured out during the regular season - this team is still deservingly the #2 seed. Martin Brodeur - legendary goalie without a doubt not much needs to be said about Marty... Parise, Lagenbrunner, Zajac, Elias, and with the addition of ILYA KOVALCHUK gives New Jersey a fierce offense, not too mention grinder Rob Neidemeyer who was a cup winner with Anaheim and his brother won cups in NJ (coincidence?). The Devils have play-off veterans as well as a lot of young and new talent going into the post-season. Should be good tight and close games, but the addition of Kovalchuk makes a huge difference to the NJ line-up. Everyone should fear a match up with the Devils.

Buffalo Shmabres vs Boston Bruins

Upset - Boston wins in 6.

Last year the Beantown Bears had a hell of a comeback after losing season after losing season. The season record with these clubs gives Boston the Advantage at 4-2 with Buffalo winding up at 2-2-2. One word to describe this series - tight. No margin for error for either club. Buffalo - stregnth lies in goaltending absolutely with Ryan Miller. Had an awesome showing with team USA in the olympics and has been clutch for the Sabres. Without a doubt one of the most exciting up and coming goalies in the game. For the Sabres to win they must generate enough offense to score goals, Derek Roy, Thomas Vanek, and Pominville are good but have lacked the numbers and stats of other team's top trio's of goal scorers. Could be a problem with a strong defensive Boston team with two starting goaltenders. Defense seems to lack depth as well. I'm not too confident Miller's outstanding goaltending will be enough to take the series. The Bruins have two outstanding goalies - Rask and Thomas. Thomas, IMO, is overrated. Had a great going last season, but does deservingly so has lost his spot to the young Finn Rask who has been outstanding for Boston, he was fantastic against the Caps in the last game of the regular season and proved to be clutch in the shoot-out win. Offense has struggled this year as well - Bergeron Recchi and Sturm have struggled but IMO with guys like Krecji, Wheeler, Ryder, Savard, and Lucic to add to the depth gives them a slight edge over the Sabes. Chara is a defensive force and will see a lot of ice time. It will be close, but I'm going to say Boston slides by Buffalo in a game 6 thriller in the Garden.

Pittsburgh Shmanguins vs Ottawa Senators

"Upset" - Ottawa wins in a thrilling 7 game series.

2-2 in the regular season split the series between the two clubs. Because I don't like the Shmanguins :P I'm going to give the nodd to Ottawa. The Sens are going to need to rely on their top 5 scores Alfredsson, Spezza, Fisher, Kovalev, and Michalek to provide the goal scoring it take to beat a team as good as Pittsburgh. Kuba, Phillips, Campoli and Karlsson are going to need to be ready to contain one of the leagues best offenses. Elliot will have to be in post-season mode and has the number to prove he can do the job. The Pens have the edge when it comes to looking at rosters and stats, but I'm going to say Crybaby Crosby can't handle to alcolhol content of Lord Stanley's Champagne and is hungover after knabbing the Rocket Richard. Crosby and Malkin - two of the games most talented players no doubt with Kennedy, Kunitz, Staal, Guerin, Fedetenko, etc. this team has offense for sure. Gonchar, Letang, Orpik are all big defensive assets to Fleury's awesome goaltending. I still believe (no I don't) that Ottawa will win this series.

Out of steam for now - hopefully I can get to the West tomorrow but mid-terms are cutting my play-offs thoughts short for now.

Edited by kupuck19

Pittsburgh Shmanguins vs Ottawa Senators

"Upset" - Ottawa wins in a thrilling 7 game series.

2-2 in the regular season split the series between the two clubs. Because I don't like the Shmanguins :P I'm going to give the nodd to Ottawa. The Sens are going to need to rely on their top 5 scores Alfredsson, Spezza, Fisher, Kovalev, and Michalek to provide the goal scoring it take to beat a team as good as Pittsburgh. Kuba, Phillips, Campoli and Karlsson are going to need to be ready to contain one of the leagues best offenses. Elliot will have to be in post-season mode and has the number to prove he can do the job. The Pens have the edge when it comes to looking at rosters and stats, but I'm going to say Crybaby Crosby can't handle to alcolhol content of Lord Stanley's Champagne and is hungover after knabbing the Rocket Richard. Crosby and Malkin - two of the games most talented players no doubt with Kennedy, Kunitz, Staal, Guerin, Fedetenko, etc. this team has offense for sure. Gonchar, Letang, Orpik are all big defensive assets to Fleury's awesome goaltending. I still believe (no I don't) that Ottawa will win this series.

Out of steam for now - hopefully I can get to the West tomorrow but mid-terms are cutting my play-offs thoughts short for now.

Interesting, Kovalev is out for the playoff btw.

that will challenge Price Halak night after night.

Edited by Freydey

Pens in 5. Just going to put a bullet in the head of the wounded horse.

Devils in 5. I don't expect Boucher to come out great.

Habs in 6. Put Markov in Ovyy's pant and outgoal them.

Sabres in 6. Miller too strong.

Yotes in 6. Theyr due.

Colorado in 7. Sharks choking hazard

Canucks in 6. Best kid in town.

Hawks in 5. Just too juiced.