NHL'94 Forums

LCS Hockey's NHL '94 ROM

dell1921

When I was a lad, I used to play NHL '94 on the Sega Genesis, and then the Sega CD, for hours and hours and hours each night. Seriously. For hours. Each night. C shoots. B passes. That's all I needed to know of life.

And I used to think to myself, "If only I could make my own version of NHL '94..."

Well, thanks to you swell folks here at nhl94.com, I learned how to hack my very own NHL '94. And it is glorious.

The game features 30 teams. We've got all the traditional NHL '94 squads, including the Nordiques, Jets, North Stars, and Whale, but we've also got the Avalanche and Stars, not to mention the Campbell and Wales Conference All-Stars.

Each team's roster is filled with the best players in franchise history. So if you're a Habs fan, you can line up with Rocket Richard, Jean Beliveau, and Guy Lafleur. Not only are the Kings decked out in their swank purple and yellow threads, they can roll the Triple Crown line of Dionne, Simmer, and Taylor. Quebec has Sakic, Nolan, Sundin, and the Stastny boys. All the greats are there, from Newsy Lalonde and Joe Malone to Kid Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin.

Some players are on more than one team, but their ratings reflect how they played with that respective club. For instance, Winnipeg Teemu Selanne is better than Anaheim Selanne. Buffalo Pat LaFontaine is better than Islander Laffy. Colorado Sakic is better than Quebec Sakic.

My goal was to try and create a more realistic hockey experience. This meant attempting to make scoring more difficult.

I've toned down the speed ratings in an attempt to make the game more realistic. Speed is rated on a scale of 0-3. While it may seem too slow, speed is relative. Only the fastest of the fast got a 3. Guys like Bobby Orr, Pavel Bure, and Gilbert Perreault can still fly.

Shot power has also been limited. It's ranked on a 0-4 scale. Again, everything is relative, and only guys like Al MacInnis, Al Iafrate, and Bobby Hull have a 4.

Goaltender ratings are generous at times in order to cut down on scoring. Breakaways are no longer automatic.

Checking has been made more realistic. The weight-bug fix has been applied. Don't expect Gretzky to knock down Chara. And the speed burst has also been cut in half. So if a guy gets behind the defense, he's solid gone.

I'm sure some may not approve of the reduced speeds and shot powers, but this is pretty much the exact game I always wanted to make. Thanks again for everyone's help. And just let me know if there are any players you'd like to see added to the game.

NHL94_LCSHOCKEY.bin

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

the Bossy bump!

I love player physics hacks and ease-of-use limitations! great concept! I hope it is as well executed as conceived and I hope I remember to try this sometime soon. downloading. thank you.

• 2 years later...

I used this Rom as my base. I juiced the player ratings up and player speeds. In the menu if I select playoffs on 7 game or normal playoffs, and go down to select your team and select Boston the game freezes. Music still playing. Can this be fixed?

I used this Rom as my base. I juiced the player ratings up and player speeds. In the menu if I select playoffs on 7 game or normal playoffs, and go down to select your team and select Boston the game freezes. Music still playing. Can this be fixed?

Yes, adjust the Playoff Match-ups in NOSE.

Make sure every team is included in at least 1 playoff match up.