NHL'94 Forums

The response

RedWingDevil

Having seen the latest thread here, this is the part where I will post my reply about this.

There are three things that I must tell you; things you guys should know straight from the horse's mouth:

1. - I'm a Grade-A bastard

I'm a bastard that sometimes creates hot controversy at times. Hell, some of you may have already known this prior to Wags' posting about it. Shaftman, VocallyCaged, FPB, Sebe, Flasox, Carse, Matt Hurray, Halifax, Houlanov and a few others had experienced my craptacular post-game reactions at some time or another, but eventually things pass and we carry on like normal. Now, normally I let things be since there were things that weren't in my control, but sometimes I find it so unnerving that one mistake or another could have been prevented if I somehow had some more control on the situation at hand. But if there was an inconsistency that breaks the game on my part and presents itself at the worst possible times, that makes me very unpleased and so I make the aforementioned shenanigans at a player I went up against. This is probably nothing new for say, most of you, having played with me a lot of times, but sometimes I'm just incredulous how one turn of events can derail an otherwise good run I've ever had.

2. - I'm no run-of-the-mill wallflower here

It's fairly established that sometimes the flames of competition get the better of me and it shows. But there are just some of those times in which I can't just swallow up the frustration at a loss and I have to voice it out, even when I come off as completely rude and a dick. Thing is, you can keep the rage and frustration bottled up a good , long while, but sooner or later the proverbial bottle breaks into pieces due to overload and here's where we get to the cascade of fury washing down everything down the drain. Granted, I will eventually accept my losses then and there and that's that; however, I may voice out my noncomformity on things in order to balance out the good and bad etiquette concerning games. You may believe I have anger management issues at times and I'm with you there, but otherwise I'm a fairly adjusted individual who just wants to go out and win it all.

3. - I am the way I am, We're all human here

No one's perfect here in this cooky world; not I, not us, nobody. I know that it's totally wrong for me to react horribly and I get pangs of consicence for it; but sometimes I wonder, is it really that bad for me wanting to win it all? I'm not one of the guys that go for the power of pretty that makes it to the video highlights that lurk on YouTube; I play tried-and-true tactics, gritty hockey and no-holds barred gameplay that others may be capable of playing and that's the way I roll. I'm not looking to point fingers or try to find faults on people because I will fail at that and I may not be in the right in some of those cases. I want to make it certain that you guys know who you've been dealing with, who I am, where am I going and what should I do in the future to be a better competitor and person. However, I will say this without fail: If anyone here hasn't felt the way I had in some of your own times, you may fire your first slapshot at me and I shall stand still taking it like a bullet.

So, if you want me out of here, there's the door and I'll walk away. Just so it's clear, there are no hard feelings on this. If I did gave you such a hard time, I'm sorry. I'm not asking for quick and easy forgiveness, I just need you guys to know what I feel and what I am eventually move on with our lives going past this thing.

Sounding off.

The whole issue here is, it's just a video game, but many of us are really competitive and it's probably part of the reason we all play. So, if you're going to get pissed, like many of us do, there are better ways to deal with it.

Many people know how pissed off I've gotten and have seen the pictures of the xbox 360 controllers that have been literally ripped in half. For those of you who haven't, here it is.

post-2287-1271805181_thumb.jpg

That's one way to deal with it. Expensive, yes. But it doesn't include bitching at my opponent who just beat me...

Good sportsmanship indeed.

Everyone gets mad when they make a mistake in the game. The thing is, you don't take it out on the other player. It's a game, and we are all playing for fun. At the end of the day, losing at NHL94 does not affect your outcome in life. Instead of putting down players with "I shouldn't be losing to your type", respect the fact that the guy on the other end played better than you did. Give him a good game, maybe bring up some points on what you could have done differently, or what they did that really stymied you. Some people might get on your nerves, but you need to relax and not let it get to you. If it's that important to ya, just get better at the game. That's what all the top players have done.

The important thing is, it's a game in the end, and the fact that we have such a great community to be able to play a great game against people with such different styles and skills should not be taken for granted.

Indeed.

Listen, I have no real problems with Iceguy in my limited time playing with him. I know where a lot of his perceived rudeness is coming from. He's intense and he wants to win and when he doesn't he vents. The important thing for me is that he plays the games he's supposed to and he doesn't ruin the integrity of the game by giving up or being excessively cheap. After the game's over you can do whatever you want as far as I'm concerned.

I suppose personally insulting the opponent is where the line could be drawn, but I don't mind being cursed at in a general sense. In fact, it is usually quite entertaining.

Guest Wags13

No one is going to blame you for being competitive...but its video hockey for crapes sake.. i've flung the controller a time or two.. but I'd never reply and tell somebody how to play or tell them they aren't playing the game the right way. We're cool dude, I harbor no ill will.. but hopefully you've grown up a little today.

No one is going to blame you for being competitive...but its video hockey for crapes sake.. i've flung the controller a time or two.. but I'd never reply and tell somebody how to play or tell them they aren't playing the game the right way. We're cool dude, I harbor no ill will.. but hopefully you've grown up a little today.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

I want to win just as much as anybody, but keep your emotions in check dude. I take my losses and still find a way to be a good sport after a rough loss. It's all good to be frustrated, but I don't care how frustrated you are and you need to keep it to yourself. I'm fine now and probably would not have posted anything if I didn't see wags's post - but I'm over it and no rough feelings.