NHL'94 Forums

KEGA 3.51 IS THE WAY TO GO FOR GENS!

i know alot of u are traditional and use only gens but this has to change to keep this gm fun ,cuz lag n sega is no fun at all.i have always used gens but it is not nearly as good as kega 3.51 ,dont use 3.6 cuz it desyncs,i wont use gens anymore .

does the kega video recording work in online play? It would suck to lose playoff videos.

i know you can't use F5 to save, either, you have to go through the file menu.

I tried to get the guy to allow F5 saving for 3.6 (even told him exactly what line of code to delete since I fixed it in Gens, which is open source) but he didn't do it. Would have taken 10 seconds... simplest edit ever. Consequently, you can't make quicksaves to make highlight videos.

Plus the video resizers are not as good, I found. There is no stretch mode where you can just resize the window to what you like.

Edited by smozoma

does the kega video recording work in online play? It would suck to lose playoff videos.

i know you can't use F5 to save, either, you have to go through the file menu.

I tried to get the guy to allow F5 saving for 3.6 (even told him exactly what line of code to delete since I fixed it in Gens, which is open source) but he didn't do it. Would have taken 10 seconds... simplest edit ever. Consequently, you can't make quicksaves to make highlight videos.

Plus the video resizers are not as good, I found. There is no stretch mode where you can just resize the window to what you like.

these are very small inconveniences imo.

There is a way to get video with a plugin I think, but really this is only needed if you've reached the finals or something.

As for window size, yeah you can't resize it like gens. But there are 4 different resolutions to resize the window.

Bottom line is much smoother, cleaner gameplay.

Also do not use the newer version 3.6+, they all seem to have desync issues. 3.51 is much more reliable from my experience.

So that means we only gonna use Hamachi instead of servers with Kega. I suppose it works.

Good: the F5 to save issue is fixed in 3.64.

Not sure:

I can get the video recording to work online, but when I had two instances of kega going at once (connected by netplay), and started recording a movie, the game started lagging behind bad. it was smooth, but lagged very noticeably (press B and he passes a quarter second later). The videos themselves are good, though.

Bad:

I can't get video recording to work online. it makes a file, but it's just 334 bytes (it's empty).

Does 3.64 still have the desynch issue of earlier 3.6x versions?

Edited by smozoma

the F5 to save issue is fixed in 3.64.

The video recording is actually very good, too. very low system load, and small files (but i think you'll still need to convert them to get them to work when uploading to youtube, but it's still easier than the kaillera/p2p method).

i wish they packaged resize filters with kega, though.. i'll hunt some down and post them some time.

if kega 3.64 works with 94 i'd be willing to switch.

video recording doesn't work during netplay. it doesnt' give a failure message, it just doesn't record the video.

looking at it in full screen or square makes my eyes burn.. that cant be a hard thing to imput?!?! then again I know about as much about programming as the next guy assuming that next guy is iceguy

(i updated my message above, since i got the video to record during netplay. it might cause input lag for slower computers)

(i looked at the wrong file. it doesn't work during netplay)

Edited by smozoma

looking at it in full screen or square makes my eyes burn.. that cant be a hard thing to imput?!?! then again I know about as much about programming as the next guy assuming that next guy is iceguy

If for some crazy reason you actually want to play the game widescreen so all the players look 4 feet wide and 3 feet tall ;):

uncheck Video->Fixed Aspect (fit)

check the appropriate resolution under Video->Full screen resolution

and you have to play in full screen for it to work.

Will this make it look like Maximized mode in Gens?

it'll fill your whole screen, even if it's wide screen

you can't get a stretchy maximized window, though (where you can still see your task bar)

Are there some adjustments we should do when we set up games with Kega? Do we have to alter the latency and broadwidth before we launch games? Do they have an effect on the connection?

Are there some adjustments we should do when we set up games with Kega? Do we have to alter the latency and broadwidth before we launch games? Do they have an effect on the connection?

Latency:

you'll see a number beside your opponent's name. that's their ping (latency). if you set the latency slider to less than this value, the game will disconnect. so make sure you set it higher than the value they show.

Bandwidth:

This is probably related to how many updates the game sends per second. Since we're all probably on broadband, I don't think there is any harm in using Med or High.

• 1 month later...

We used Kega for our last two leagues, (Madden 2007 and Bill Walsh) in 2008 and 2009, and it works without the choppiness that you get in a Kaillera game sometimes when someone has slight lag. However, there is a delay of milliseconds in Kega Fusion.

We tried Kega Fusion 3.64 in the last league, and it had horrible desync issues, however, falling back to version 3.61, we had no problems after that.

If you have an opponent with a not so good connection, then Kega is the way to go. However if two people have very low pings, then perhaps gens/kaillera would work better in those cases, as it has quicker reaction to game controller input.

• 2 months later...

for once hardly any lag at all and no chop ,kega does fn rule and wont play lg gms unless you guys use kega ,it is wayyyy better in sega

!!!!

a totally different subject... you profile thingy is hilarious! talk about stress. :lol:

Latency:

you'll see a number beside your opponent's name. that's their ping (latency). if you set the latency slider to less than this value, the game will disconnect. so make sure you set it higher than the value they show.

I have found out that 100 kega latency equals roughly 200 gens p2p latency. The game still works smooth at least with medium bandwith if you put the slider to 50-70 % of the actual value it says.