NHL'94 Forums

A few newbie questions

Hey guys - stumbled across this site many months ago - finally decided to join up and say hello. Happy Memorial Day!

I have been over at the TSB forum for the past few years and editing that game. Long time NHL94 fan and want to learn the ins and outs and editing this game.

So....my first few questions are...and without trying to sound ignorant - I have been reading up on many posts but didn't find the answers I'm looking for so I apologize in advance if they are right under my nose.

1) Are the hex locations known for the various aspects of the game? For example if I wanted to speed up Shot Power (not just as a player rating, but in general)...or slow down player speed, etc....

2) When it comes to goalies, what is the most important attribute for COM controlled goalies? After adjust ratings with NOSE and playing through many a game, it seems that Agility is the most important factor, followed up Speed.

Anyways, I'm sure i'll have a few more questions as I go along. Just wanted to say Great site! Thanks in advance!

AILD

Here is the editing forum: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showforum=119

the top stickied post aggregates links to all the different known hacks.

I don't think anyone has tried making shots harder or the skating faster, but you can change the stopping/turning rate and the speed boost multiplier.

People have different preferences for the goalies, but I agree that for computer controlled goalies, agility is probably king.

Here is the editing forum: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showforum=119

the top stickied post aggregates links to all the different known hacks.

I don't think anyone has tried making shots harder or the skating faster, but you can change the stopping/turning rate and the speed boost multiplier.

People have different preferences for the goalies, but I agree that for computer controlled goalies, agility is probably king.

Cool...thanks, man. I'll fiddle around with what is already known and see if I can come up with anything else.

Does anyone know if the updated rom on the main page includes the weight bug fix?

Cool...thanks, man. I'll fiddle around with what is already known and see if I can come up with anything else.

Does anyone know if the updated rom on the main page includes the weight bug fix?

I don't think the ROM on the main page has the bug fix, but I have a bug fixed ROM at http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=8031

If you're really technically inclined, check out TonyH's hacking tutorial, since that'll be the key to doing that skating and shot speed stuff.

Tips you'll find useful:

The puck's x (horizontal) speed is stored in memory location FFB772. y (vertical) speed is in ffB774. 2-byte signed values.

home player 0's x and y speed is in FFB072 and FFB074. 2-byte signed values.

home player 1's x and y speed is in FFB0F2 and FFB0F4. 2-byte signed values.

home player 2's x and y speed is in FFB172 and FFB174. 2-byte signed values.

home player 3's x and y speed is in FFB1F2 and FFB1F4. 2-byte signed values.

home player 4's x and y speed is in FFB272 and FFB274. 2-byte signed values.

home player 5's x and y speed is in FFB2F2 and FFB2F4. 2-byte signed values.

home player 6's x and y speed is in FFB372 and FFB374. 2-byte signed values.

I forget which player is which, though... 0 might be the goalie, or it might be the centreman.. or someone else!

(This is from my spreadsheet of memory locations.. I need to post it some time)

use TonyH's techniques to find out when the values are adjusted, and then you'll just have to work backwards maybe up to 5 lines to find where it is getting it's speed modifying values..

Edited by smozoma

Ok, this will be a dumb one....but here goes.

I have been playing around with all the editing functions and 1 think I can't seem to figure out is how to add players to a team that have a greater number of letters in their name than what is already stored in.

Every time I change this, I start up the game and it freezes at the main screen.

For example, say every single player on a team has the max # of letters in their name except 1 who has 10 letters. How do I change the player name to something with 14 or 16 letters without deleting another player??

Ok, this will be a dumb one....but here goes.

I have been playing around with all the editing functions and 1 think I can't seem to figure out is how to add players to a team that have a greater number of letters in their name than what is already stored in.

Every time I change this, I start up the game and it freezes at the main screen.

For example, say every single player on a team has the max # of letters in their name except 1 who has 10 letters. How do I change the player name to something with 14 or 16 letters without deleting another player??

Use NOSE, go to the "Teams" window, find the "free bytes" button (I think it's in the top-left), and press it. It will shift around the free space in the ROM to allow you to add more players and lengthen player names.

If you were just moving stuff in the ROM in a hex editor, that will cause problems because there are indicators of name lengths, and pointers to where teams start.. if you move stuff, it invalidates these pointers and the game doesn't know where to look for information.

Use NOSE, go to the "Teams" window, find the "free bytes" button (I think it's in the top-left), and press it. It will shift around the free space in the ROM to allow you to add more players and lengthen player names.

If you were just moving stuff in the ROM in a hex editor, that will cause problems because there are indicators of name lengths, and pointers to where teams start.. if you move stuff, it invalidates these pointers and the game doesn't know where to look for information.

Got it. You need to go to the Teams tab and use the Auto Manage Free Bytes icon, then place it on the team you'd like to modify. Then you can go to the players/goalies tabs and enter additional characters. (In case anyone was wondering...)

Thanks, smozoma. You've been a rockstar so far.

Got it. You need to go to the Teams tab and use the Auto Manage Free Bytes icon, then place it on the team you'd like to modify. Then you can go to the players/goalies tabs and enter additional characters. (In case anyone was wondering...)

Thanks, smozoma. You've been a rockstar so far.

np

You don't even need to put the free bytes on any team, actually. As long as the icon is pressed in, it will automatically move the free bytes to whatever team you're working on, so you can switch between teams without going back and moving the bytes around again.

Has there been an attribute guide written anywhere that describes how each affects the game? I never really paid much attention other than Speed and Shot Power before, but I'd like to dig deeper into the game. Here's what I've come up with so far after some testing. Some are obvious, I know.

Weight - the lighter the player, the better they check...unless using the weight fix hack

Agility - how quickly a player stops and turns

Speed - how quickly a player accelerates and their top speed (or is it just top speed)

Off Awareness - does this have any value on CPU controlled players???

Def Awareness - does this have any value???

Shot Power - obvious

Shot Accuracy - obvious

Checking - how often a player will attempt to check an opponent

Stick Handling - I'm guessing it affects the players ability to keep the puck while being checked???

Endurance - obvious

Roughness - ??? Always thought this was what checking did, but now I'm not sure.

Pass Accuracy - obvious

Aggression - a players chance of being called for a penalty

Any input is greatly appreciated...I know some of these are obvious.

Weight affects acceleration. Offensive awareness is how deep into the zone and close to the opponent's net they'll go, defense is the opposite.

With the weight bug fix, the Checking rating now also factors into the checking effectiveness, so it's based on weight and checking skill. Resisting a check is based on weight (and some say agility).

Weight affects acceleration. Offensive awareness is how deep into the zone and close to the opponent's net they'll go, defense is the opposite.

I just tested this out in a few games. Gave 1 team high Off Awr & Def Awr, the other team Low Awareness. I didn't notice much on the offensive awareness side (in fact the team with the lower awareness won 2 of the 5 games), but the team with the higher defensive awareness definitely crashed their own net more...especially the forwards getting back.

*All other attributes were the same for forwards & goalies.

Also, when stick handling was turned way down, players had a lot of difficulty receiving passes. Didn't really notice it affecting anything else.

Roughness - the team with higher roughness was called for less penalties in 4 of the 5 games. It's also not listed in the attributes while the game is playing. Was this something manually added to NOSE?

Here's my updated list.

Weight (original) - the lighter the player, the better they check & accelerate.

Weight (with fix) - heavier players = better checkers.

Speed - a players top speed

Off Awareness - still in testing...

Def Awareness - the likeliness a player with get back on defense close to their own net.

Shot Power - Shot Power

Shot Accuracy - Shot Accuracy

Stick Handling - the players ability to receive a pass.

Endurance - Endurace

Roughness - does this even matter?

Pass Accuracy - Pass Accuracy

Once I figure this all out, I'll move to goalies.

I just tested this out in a few games. Gave 1 team high Off Awr & Def Awr, the other team Low Awareness. I didn't notice much on the offensive awareness side (in fact the team with the lower awareness won 2 of the 5 games), but the team with the higher defensive awareness definitely crashed their own net more...especially the forwards getting back.

*All other attributes were the same for forwards & goalies.

Also, when stick handling was turned way down, players had a lot of difficulty receiving passes. Didn't really notice it affecting anything else.

Roughness - the team with higher roughness was called for less penalties in 4 of the 5 games. It's also not listed in the attributes while the game is playing. Was this something manually added to NOSE?

Here's my updated list.

Weight (original) - the lighter the player, the better they check & accelerate.

Weight (with fix) - heavier players = better checkers.

Speed - a players top speed

Off Awareness - still in testing...

Def Awareness - the likeliness a player with get back on defense close to their own net.

Shot Power - Shot Power

Shot Accuracy - Shot Accuracy

Stick Handling - the players ability to receive a pass.

Endurance - Endurace

Roughness - does this even matter?

Pass Accuracy - Pass Accuracy

Once I figure this all out, I'll move to goalies.

roughness is in the rom, but it could be a holdover from 93 when fighting was in the game. i haven't been able to establish any relationship between PIMs and roughness or aggression..

offensive awareness could be more about guys getting in position for onetimers.

Alright, so goalies...

Agility - appears to be the biggest factor in saves.

Speed - Speed

Def Awareness - does this have any impact?

Puck Control - I have read both (1) the ability to control rebounds and (2) 5-hole save ability. ??

Stick/Glove, Left/Right - Understand what they are supposed to do, but do they have significant impact in the actual game?

*A goalie with 99 Agility and 0 everything else is better than a goalie with 0 Agility and 99 everything else....from my testing anyways....

Alright, so goalies...

Agility - appears to be the biggest factor in saves.

Speed - Speed

Def Awareness - does this have any impact?

Puck Control - I have read both (1) the ability to control rebounds and (2) 5-hole save ability. ??

Stick/Glove, Left/Right - Understand what they are supposed to do, but do they have significant impact in the actual game?

*A goalie with 99 Agility and 0 everything else is better than a goalie with 0 Agility and 99 everything else....from my testing anyways....

nice 99/0 test.. didn't know agi was so powerful!

when it comes to the goalies, i think everyone is just guessing.

i like to pick high stick/glove ratings since i think they help stop shots from far away more.. since i tend to do a decent job of keeping people from getting too close to the net.. but i dont' know if it's true.

you might be able to draw some conclusions from these stats:http://mcapewell.servehttp.com/nhl94/playerstats.asp?position=Goaltending

Those are stats from a league where me and a friend played pretty much an equal number of games with each team against each other team. Ranford, who has high glove/stick ratings is at the top in save%. but jon casey is up there, too for some reason!

Awesome, dude....love them stats! I will def take a look.

I have to note that all my tests are done COM vs. COM. Obviously in MAN mode it's much different. Speed would most likely be the most important goalie factor. I plan on running a few more goalie tests tonight, will get back with what I find. Thank God for the "fast forward" function.

After a few rounds of testing, the goalie attributes have shaped up like this. In order of importance...

Agility

Puck Control

Glove

Stick

Speed

Def Awareness

With Agility being much more important than the rest. The rest were bunched very closely. I plan on taking a wider sample in the next few days and will post all results.

Games are being played out Com vs. Com. All skaters have 99 everything.

After a few rounds of testing, the goalie attributes have shaped up like this. In order of importance...

Agility

Puck Control

Glove

Stick

Speed

Def Awareness

With Agility being much more important than the rest. The rest were bunched very closely. I plan on taking a wider sample in the next few days and will post all results.

Games are being played out Com vs. Com. All skaters have 99 everything.

if these are based just on AI computer-vs-computer games, I just don't know how relevant they are against real people..

• 1 year later...