NHL'94 Forums

Upgrading Forum Today

Evan

Hey guys,

Just a heads up that I'm upgrading the forum today, so you may notice formatting/images may be out of wack for a little while. Long as all goes well, we should all be enjoying some new features soon.

Don't worry, everything is backed up beforehand!

-Evan

Well so much for that.. follow upgrade instructions and it fails. I have a plan B but it will take more time.

-Evan

You got f'd over big time bud...I just sent your service provider some hate email. (mostly I just copied and pasted the MTL vs PIT thread)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Well pretty obvious, but the forum has been upgraded to the latest version. It's going to take a while for me to get some of the graphics back, and to get used to the new layout.

If anyone finds errors with posts, etc. just let me know and I'll look into it.

-Evan

Hey guys,

Well pretty obvious, but the forum has been upgraded to the latest version. It's going to take a while for me to get some of the graphics back, and to get used to the new layout.

If anyone finds errors with posts, etc. just let me know and I'll look into it.

-Evan

nice bud...perhaps it's just me...and maybe I'm a stickler...but I kinda liked the light blue bg...less bright on the eyes. Is that included in 'getting graphics back'?

pretty cool, but the profile things on the left of each post are reaaally long for some people :)

I'd like to see it be as short as possible, so more posts fit on one screen.

"interests" needs to get the axe. "gender" could be taken out, too (it's not hard to guess what someone is...).

probably not possible, but hopefully a 'no-wrap' CSS style could be applied to the 'preferred system' text so it doesn't take up two lines to just say 'genesis' or 'snes'. Maybe it could be changed to "systems" and they could put Genesis / SNES / Genesis and SNES / SNES and Genesis. Or maybe you can just widen the left pane a little so it doesn't wrap.

anyway, thanks for keeping us on the cutting edge of forum technology :)

is there any way to get rid of the way attached images show up overtop of the page you're currently viewing? I've always hated that... I'd much rather it just opened it in a new window or tab so I have control of it...

(for example, the EARE screenshot image: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=10443)

Does *anyone* actually like that image viewer thing? It's on so many sites now and I can't stand it :P Damn Web 2.0, get off'r mah lawn!

EDIT: i even hate the way it 'folds out' your image, instead of just showing it right away.. such a waste of 0.5 seconds!

Edited by smozoma

nice bud...perhaps it's just me...and maybe I'm a stickler...but I kinda liked the light blue bg...less bright on the eyes. Is that included in 'getting graphics back'?

What you see now is the "out-of-the-box" look except I threw a quick header image together. I'd love to create a custom skin, just don't know how long it will take me to do that (spare time issue).

-Evan

pretty cool, but the profile things on the left of each post are reaaally long for some people :)

I'd like to see it be as short as possible, so more posts fit on one screen.

"interests" needs to get the axe. "gender" could be taken out, too (it's not hard to guess what someone is...).

probably not possible, but hopefully a 'no-wrap' CSS style could be applied to the 'preferred system' text so it doesn't take up two lines to just say 'genesis' or 'snes'. Maybe it could be changed to "systems" and they could put Genesis / SNES / Genesis and SNES / SNES and Genesis. Or maybe you can just widen the left pane a little so it doesn't wrap.

anyway, thanks for keeping us on the cutting edge of forum technology :)

Yes, the long profile data on the left is long (one of the first things I noticed too). I should be able to customize that pretty good soon. Thanks for the suggestions.

Yea, the most important feature about the new version is the mobile phone support. Stupid as it sounds, it's a huge benefit to easily browse the forum on mobile devices.

-Evan

is there any way to get rid of the way attached images show up overtop of the page you're currently viewing? I've always hated that... I'd much rather it just opened it in a new window or tab so I have control of it...

(for example, the EARE screenshot image: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=10443)

Does *anyone* actually like that image viewer thing? It's on so many sites now and I can't stand it :P Damn Web 2.0, get off'r mah lawn!

EDIT: i even hate the way it 'folds out' your image, instead of just showing it right away.. such a waste of 0.5 seconds!

I personally like the lightbox function, since it does have a "save image" option. I'd like to hear what the general feeling is about the way images open, and if most don't prefer that I look into reverting the way images open.

-Evan

This isn't a forum issue but since we are trying to "fix" things I'd like to add a comment. I have the iPhone. When I view nhl94.com pretty much everything works and shows up fine(all menu options like multimedia, game editing, game bugs and etc..). But, when I view nhl94online.com I have issues with the menu headers. For example, League Info, Teams & Schedules, Standings, Playoffs and etc... are non-accessible. They are listed at the top of the page(not in the black bar) and I'm not able to click them. Is there a way to fix this?

I personally like the lightbox function, since it does have a "save image" option. I'd like to hear what the general feeling is about the way images open, and if most don't prefer that I look into reverting the way images open.

-Evan

You can always right-click an image and select 'save as' though..

Ideally, you'd be able to left-click on an image in a post to get the lightbox (never knew it had a name! :) ), but if you right-clicked on it, you could get the usual popup menu allowing you to select to open it in a new tab/window. Or if you middle-click or ctrl+left-click, you get the usual open in tab functionality.

What bugs me most about the lightbox (at least the implementation used in this new forum code) is that it overrides *everything* and forces me to view the image in one way.

There must be some line of javascript somewhere where they used something like "if any click - do lightbox" instead of "if left-click - do lightbox"

Edited by smozoma

Hey Evan,

2 things I noticed:

I couldn't reply to a PM that was sent to me. The reply button was greyed out. I don't know if this was just a one time issue or if anyone else has seen this.

The News section on nhl94online.com is displaying an error, prob due to the forum upgrade.

Hey Evan,

2 things I noticed:

I couldn't reply to a PM that was sent to me. The reply button was greyed out. I don't know if this was just a one time issue or if anyone else has seen this.

The News section on nhl94online.com is displaying an error, prob due to the forum upgrade.

I sent you a test PM, so try replying to it and let me know if you still have a problem.

Yea, I noticed the news section on nhl94online.com is busted, so I'll see if I can figure out why. Hopefully it's fixable (that was an add-on someone made and might not be supported in this version of the forum).

-Evan

• 6 years later...

Hey guys,

I'm going to upgrade the forum tonight around 10pm EST to the latest version of the software. One thing the upgrade will do is merge the username and display name fields into 1. I'll be keeping the username since that's what everyone uses to log in. It looks like there will be more customization for user profiles too, but feel free to poke around the forum company's own forum: https://invisionpower.com/forums/

Fun side note: Our forum database is about 175MB now.

-Evan

Hey guys,

Forum has been upgraded to latest version.  There are background processes currently running to rebuild certain data, such as signatures, but hopefully won't take too long to finish.  Also, let me know if you notice anything broken, weird, annoying, etc.

Thanks!

-Evan

• Like 1

I believe posts are still being rebuilt by forum background processes. Let's see how things look tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Evan said:

I believe posts are still being rebuilt by forum background processes. Let's see how things look tomorrow. 

They're fixed now, thanks!  The site's "indexing is running.. etc" warning had disappeared so I thought it was done, but I guess it wasn't.

All background processes are done, so things should be good now.  At some point I'll update the colors of the forum to match our other sites, and I quickly made a header image and links for nhl94.com and nhl94online.com, but will make something a little nicer in the future.

Feedback welcome!

-Evan

Is there a way to turn on the "like post" function on the new sites. I occassionally tried to give likes on the old site and it would always give me an error.

There are a lot of threads/convos that I'd love to just give a thumbs up rather than making a new post.

..and I'm already missing the 'New Content" button from the old site. :P

• Like 1