NHL'94 Forums

questions about Sega CD version

just downloaded Kega Fusion and got the Sega Cd NHL '94 (European, I think) ROM running thanks to the details in this link: http://www.fantasyanime.com/emuhelp/emuhelp_kfusion.htm

it seems like the same game as the GENS version (I'm no expert on that, as I MUCH prefer SNES), with better text/audio, but the same gameplay. am I right about that? I mean, it has the same shitty must-hold-buttons-and-wait-for-the-goalie lameness and the same tough skating (compared to the easy SNES) and stickhandling. does it also have the weight bug? anything else you could tell me about it that I might not have noticed on my own? any differences in the ones for different regions? thanks.

The weight bug isn't as present as it is in the Genesis version, so I guess you can enjoy it more. Just remember that if you want to hear the music in the game, you must rename the mp3 files from the music archives found in this site. My recommendation for the tag is nhl9402.mp3 from there on out.

not as present? I thought the weight bug either was or wasn't. I have to rename the files?! for what? the faceoff music is there and the boards and posts make noises and Ron has long intro speeches about each team and...

I noticed that the offsides calls seem a bit wrong. also, I keep hitting the hook/hold button to get my knocked over player back up, but, this being Sega, it does nothing. I hope I don't unlearn that, as it'll hold me back when I get back to SNESing it up. decent game, but the goalie control kills it.

thanks for the reply. keep them coming, please. would still like the questions answered.

Nah, the holding get-up trick doesn't work on either of the Sega versions, so it's not a question of unlearning it, more like the 'it-doesn't work' case. :blink: The only exception is the 2on2 roms with the pass/poke check button, but the guys programmed it so that the other guy can recover faster.

Well, the heavy guys do hit harder and knock people over if that's what you're looking for, so there's that. I'm sorry if I confused you.

clearer: I'm unlearning it while playing on the Sega emulator. when I switch back to SNES, I don't want to have forgotten it. so, no weight bug, then?

thank you.

anybody got anything in reference to:

....it seems like the same game as the GENS version (I'm no expert on that, as I MUCH prefer SNES), with better text/audio, but the same gameplay. am I right about that?...anything else you could tell me about it that I might not have noticed on my own? any differences in the ones for different regions?...

also, I noticed it is really easy to skate through the nets and iron. there was also a time in which I could not switch off of the goaltender until a coincidental turnover.

overall, it was a fun change of pace from SNES ninety-flow -- and I wonder how different it really is from the regular GENS version (does manage to limit players to only one team each), as it certainly felt better, overall, than I remember the GENS one being... maybe it has something to do with controller response time -- and I managed to win each of the sixteen games for the cup (manual line changes/five-minute periods/all penalties on) with The New York Honkeyball Rangers. I did get scored on and was even down by two at one point. never saw any hats, but I shattered one pane. playoff stats and fatique that isn't confused by substitutions are cool aspects, but they don't overcome the overall deficiencies I notice as a SNES player used to instant goaltender control, instant left defenseman control and instant right defenseman control, instant stand up action for fallen players... CONTROL! fun, a bit harder than what I'm used to. anything to add, y'all?

Edited by trudatman

• 2 weeks later...
Can someone please help me understand how to name the Sega CD NHL 94 audio files correctly?

The menu music and all that plays fine, but in game I simply have one tune that just keeps playing over and over again.

Argh!

Never mind. I solved this once I found the "search" function on the forum.

:-)

• 3 weeks later...