NHL'94 Forums

very simple request

trudatman

(Terminal is a program that is found under Applications->Utilities. it gives you a place to copy/paste those commands to. http://guides.macrumors.com/Terminal)

I think you might find Darwine to be easier. It's specifically for Mac 10.4/5 and i think is an installer.. probably no command line (terminal) insanity.

http://darwine.en.softonic.com/mac

Edited by smozoma

whoops maybe the SNES handles home/away and random stats boosts differently than the Genesis version. so maybe guys can be way faster or slower in different games (compared to the sega's half-range variations).

I suspect the random nightly boosts are fails and the home/away actually does change the player's attributes.

and this thread suggests that NOSE is a GENS-only thing:

http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=176&st=30

so fucdat; I ain't no Genesissy.

SNES editor is failing, too:

err:module:import_dll Library MSVBVM60.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\Users\\tru\\Desktop\\SNESEditor071\\SNESEditorv071.exe") not found

err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\Users\\tru\\Desktop\\SNESEditor071\\SNESEditorv071.exe" failed, status c0000135

Õˇ∆ˇâ€ˇÃˇ

SNES editor is failing, too:

err:module:import_dll Library MSVBVM60.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\Users\\tru\\Desktop\\SNESEditor071\\SNESEditorv071.exe") not found

err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\Users\\tru\\Desktop\\SNESEditor071\\SNESEditorv071.exe" failed, status c0000135

Õˇ∆ˇâ€ˇÃˇ

Its cause I'm a shitty programmer, so I used visual basic, which means you have to download that DLL file (it's the one which makes all the VB6 apps run right proper). You can right place it in the directory.

Please note there is too much hard-coded into the editor, so if you load a previously edited rom it may fail completely. That depends on whether or not you've edited the pointers, though.

I don't know what editing pointers even is, duder. so, knowing that I'm running what is essentially a windows emulator on a Mac to try to boot your editor, do you think seeking out that file and putting it on my Mac's desktop is going to get me there? I'm skeptical, but willing to burn this Mac to the ground to get it done. that's how much of a dream come tru this experience has been, even so far. thanks for the help, y'all. holler.

edit: also, my new theory on hot/cold from home/away is that it is one of the forwards getting the home boost, not necessarily the center.

Edited by trudatman

yeah, just get that missing DLL file and put it in the directory with his editor's EXE.

here it is: http://www.dlldump.com/download-dll-files....l/download.html (use "Click Here to Download msvbvm60.dll", don't click "Fix msvbvm60.dll Errors")

after that, you might get some other errors about a couple other files (probably an OCX file). just keep googling for them and putting them in with the EXE.

don't worry about the pointer stuff, i don't think you're doing that stuff.

once you get the DLL (and maybe OCX), i think you'll be good to go...

you might want to put the ROM in with the EXE, too, in case WINE has trouble with directory navigation stuff.

edit: succeeded in building a ROM I'm proud of, but there are still a few things I'd like to address....

Edited by trudatman

• 2 months later...

bumping this thread in hopes of continuing the conversation about the hot/cold and home/away boosts that are most obvious in the speed and acceleration statistics. when using a team full of 25's, it seems like some players (I believe it is usually one defender and maybe the goaltender when away and two forwards when home) get boosts way out of their supposed ten-point attribute ranges. there is no way a 27 in speed and acceleration should be going as fast as they are able to. somebody fixed the Genesis ratings/reality offsets and that is damned impressive. I'd love to say I'm going to do the same for SNES, but I know that is well out of my range with ROM hacking, so I'm hoping to move us forward by calling attention to this phenomenon. has anybody removed home/away advantages from the SNES game? can you help me do that? thoughts, y'all?

H O L Y

F U C K I N G

I M P O S S I B L E !

wow. need x11 (have) and xcode (think I have) to run WINE. downloaded WINE and it is some serious computer geek action. no exe and I need to alter the "terminal" file to say a lot of things I don't understand. that'd be fine if I knew what/where the terminal file was. all of the online help for WINE is in geekspeak and makes it look like it'd be easier to write all of the code from scratch. I give up. WAY too hard to use WINE. way over my head with "echo export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:\$PATH$'\n'export MANPATH=/opt/local/man:\$MANPATH | sudo tee -a /etc/profile" that I don't even know where to put. wow.

Why don't you use the "Spotlight" function in the top right corner of Mac OS X? Type in Terminal, and it will find the program for you. If you don't have XCode installed, you can install it from your Mac OS X CDs. When in the terminal, just type in those commands and it will do all the work for you.

past that stumbling point. DARWINE won. easy.

has anybody removed home/away advantages from the SNES game? can you help me do that? thoughts, y'all?

Easy fix: change the home/away advantages to 1 in the ROM. Someone listed them somewhere already.

If it turns out that doesn't fix it (maybe random bonuses are the issue and you want that code disabled..), then making a 30-team rom is way ahead of other stuff for SNES on my list..

When you say help you do it, do you want to actually learn how to come up with hacks?

I updated Tony_H's hacking tutorial (it's for Genesis, but it's the same principles for SNES). If you learn that, then I could teach you (or anyone) how to translate the skills to SNES...

Edited by smozoma
change home/away adv to 1, not 0

I have not found the home/away help yet, but I'll look again.

also, every time I read that thread I feel a bit more confident that I could do it, but it sure looks hard. I'm not quite there. is there a particular program that you'd suggest for deciphering the processes in SNES ROMs? the other part I'm a bit fuzzy on is then using that data and the big clipboard to reinterpret, but I suppose that'd be a matter of fuxing with the program 'til it clicks.

thanks for responding. I love this site. decent teachers and fine motivators. let's keep thinking of ways to make this game better and/or more fun and/or more challenging! thanks, again. off to try to find the home/away fix help.

edit: I also am not ever really sure what to change to make an alteration nor how to balance any changes so the integrity of the whole isn't lost, but I get closer to it all with every read. not at all interested in editing Genesis games quite yet, though.

Edited by trudatman

I have not found the home/away help yet, but I'll look again.

here's the post with the offsets for the home/away advantages: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=11993&view=findpost&p=93684

for anaheim: 070213

07 is offense/defense

02 is home/away (set all teams to 11 to make them all average, not 00, sorry)

13 is pp/pk

also, every time I read that thread I feel a bit more confident that I could do it, but it sure looks hard. I'm not quite there. is there a particular program that you'd suggest for deciphering the processes in SNES ROMs? the other part I'm a bit fuzzy on is then using that data and the big clipboard to reinterpret, but I suppose that'd be a matter of fuxing with the program 'til it clicks.

I use "Geiger's snes9x debugger" (main site is offline, so try romhacking.net).

But like i said, try Tony_H's tutorial for the genesis first. The principles are the same, but the tools are not. Once you get the principles by following the tutorial, then it's not too hard to figure out the SNES tools. But you can't read a genesis tutorial and use SNES tools :)

No idea what you're talking about when you mention "the big clipboard to reinterpret". The tutorial doesn't mention a clipboard.. if you mean "trace nice-ifier", you don't need to use that.

word, thanks.

well, yeah, it does say copy the output to a clipboard or text document to analyze or whatever, but I may be missing the greater point of how the data sets are compared and then extrapolated from.

I agree that learning to do it in one program will help me know how to do a similar thing in another, but I am not quite ready. closer daily, I'm sure. maybe tinkering with the advantages will check one more task off the list and make me feel a bit more like all of it is in reach.

thanks, yet again.

....for anaheim: 070213

07 is offense/defense

02 is home/away (set all teams to 11 to make them all average, not 00, sorry)

13 is pp/pk....

I'm quoting that and moving this chart over here for my own ease of use:

team, location begin/end, o/d h/a pp/pk sequence

ANH E6D5D-E6D5F 07 02 13

BOS E2DBA-E2DBC 41 21 21

BUF E3040-E3042 64 10 21

CGY E32CF-E32D1 42 00 00

CHI E354E-E3550 20 10 21

DAL E425D-E425F 14 10 00

DET E37E5-E3737 73 21 00

EDM E3AAB-E3AAD 16 02 12

FLA E6B5B-E6B5D 07 02 13

HFD E3D2B-E3D2D 17 02 00

LA. E3FC0-E3FC2 66 12 11

MTL E44E9-E44EB 52 11 21

NJ. E478C-E478E 34 11 12

NYI E4A39-E4A3B 53 21 00

NYR E4CAA-E4CAC 34 11 11

OTW E4F14-E4F16 07 02 13

PHI E51BA-E51BC 36 02 22

PIT E5445-E5447 71 20 21

QBC E56E0-E56E2 75 21 00

SJ. E596E-E5970 07 02 12

STL E5BE2-E5BE4 22 20 21

TB. E5E58-E5E5A 05 02 00

TOR E60EA-E60EC 20 20 11

VAN E638C-E638E 61 02 11

WPG E6613-E6615 45 11 11

WSH E68BB-E68BD 52 20 11

ASE E2865-E2867 77 20 00

ASW E2B12-E2B14 77 20 00

I think I get it. now that I better understand the "sequence" part of that, I realize that I was overlooking something that I didn't recognize as relevant. the fact that there are these three types of advantages clears up quite a bit of the opacity in my seeing the workings of player/team advantages. here's hoping I'll navigate and alter the hex values well from tonight on.

Edited by trudatman

word, thanks.

well, yeah, it does say copy the output to a clipboard or text document to analyze or whatever, but I may be missing the greater point of how the data sets are compared and then extrapolated from.

I agree that learning to do it in one program will help me know how to do a similar thing in another, but I am not quite ready. closer daily, I'm sure. maybe tinkering with the advantages will check one more task off the list and make me feel a bit more like all of it is in reach.

thanks, yet again.

it never says output or clipboard :D. it says it'll save the trace information to a file... so you just have to open the file in a text editor (Word, Notepad++.. or whatever mac has). simple stuff.

it's all laid out step-by-step in the tutorial, so you just have to dive in and tackle it head on. it's really not that hard if you do it step by step. you'll never be ready until you just do it.

word(-s -- like clipboard versus notepad, etc.) , but one step at a time! now advantages:

does this look about right to you? if so, was there a better way to find this based on the location begin/end value? couldn't figure out what to do with that.

hexpic.png

edit: I certainly cannot be doing this right as I need to pinpoint these sets and I couldn't find one and found too many to pick from of another. hmm...

how do I find, say "E6D5D-E6D5F" for the first team?

Edited by trudatman

word(-s -- like clipboard versus notepad, etc.) , but one step at a time! now advantages:

does this look about right to you? if so, was there a better way to find this based on the location begin/end value? couldn't figure out what to do with that.

(image)

edit: I certainly cannot be doing this right as I need to pinpoint these sets and I couldn't find one and found too many to pick from of another. hmm...

how do I find, say "E6D5D-E6D5F" for the first team?

I finally get it... "Notepad" is windows' default text file program. I think Mac's equivalent is "TextEdit". Sorry for the confusion!

In your hex editor, the numbers down the left side are the addresses. However, your hex editor appears to be braindead and is using decimal addresses instead of hex addresses. Is there an option somewhere to change that? (not the hex/ASCII toggle at the top)

Since it's using decimal addresses, you need to convert E6D5D from hex to decimal (google for how)

(or try hitting Command+G to hopefully bring up a "go to" window, and maybe it will let you enter an address in hex)

I set them all as 11 01 00, the middle set being insignificant powerplay boost and average penalty kill boost. the last two digits are a bit confusing. it seems like 00 and 13 both equal low home advantage/away disadvantage but 22 is high/high and 12 is average/high and 21 is high/average and 11 is average/average. do we know for sure that those first two digits of the six are offense and defense boosts? that statistic isn't listed in the booklet (Genesis), so I have no chart to analyze. well, I believe I have them all set to equal, at least, but I'd like to know for sure that I have lowered the supposed offense and defense boosts as low as possible. did that make sense?

I just know the Genesis side where these are the meanings:

Offense - Good 7 ... 0 Bad
Defense - Good 0 ... 7 Bad
PP      - Good 2 ... 0 Bad
PK      - Good 0 ... 2 Bad
Home    - Good 2 ... 0 Bad
Away    - Good 0 ... 2 Bad (3 Really bad (OTT, FLA, ANH))

So to make everyone average, it's 441111.

I think I remember checking the genesis version and finding that offense/defense are never actually used, so can be ignored.

word. I'm interpreting that as my having all teams as XX0100 is pretty fair, turning the effects down as much as possible. I'm trying to eliminate the extra speed some players seem to have in speed and acceleration. I'm getting a bit of random boost (like, say the left wing being significantly faster than all other skaters), still, but it does seem to be less than before.

okay, that wasn't right. trying 70 20 20 for the allstar team and 07 02 03 for the rest. think it figures that the twos could be replaced with threes? like OTT/FLA/ANH are bad -> 70 30 30 and 07 03 03...? make sense? still testing and still getting left wings too fast and stuff... hoping this will kill all of that.

I can't say I feel like I have made ANY progress. I've tried all sorts of combinations and I still have players zooming all over the ice even though they are 25s. if you think you can help, here's the latest file I referenced in my last post.

advtest6.zip

I can't say I feel like I have made ANY progress. I've tried all sorts of combinations and I still have players zooming all over the ice even though they are 25s. if you think you can help, here's the latest file I referenced in my last post.

a code hack appears to be the only solution

next attempt will be 77 22 20 (or 77 33 30) and 00 00 03....

Edited by trudatman

little to no difference. maybe the "....are playing very well...." boost is accounting for the zooming... now I plan to test that theory. ah, if only I could just get these scrub teams to always be as bad as possible, I'd be happiest. it's kind of lame that a 25 can fly.

edit: this may explain Reggie Savage's TNS, though...

Edited by trudatman

....70 30 30 and 07 03 03....

probably sticking with this.