NHL'94 Forums

NHL '94 Tru Scrubs 2010

trudatman

the 2011 update has next year's Bruins and some other simple changes. you might enjoy it.

---

you haven't played NHL '94 like this before. no longer is it extremely easy to tool on the computer-controlled team. the very scrubby West Medway What and the similarly craptastic Allston Massholes promise to suck something fierce against the 2011 Boston Bruins or the NHL Stars. the concept here is to have a few vastly different teams. two of the four teams are made entirely of my circle of friends and everybody on those two scrub teams has the lowest possible ratings, across the boards. one of the other teams is the current Boston Bruins roster. the other team is an allstar team made of many of the NHL's best honkeyball players. enjoy the potential to lose.

ABBREVIATION - FULL TEAM NAME - OVERALL RATING

WM - West Medway What - 25

ALL - Allston Massholes - 25

BOS - Boston Bruins - 90

NHL - NHL Stars - 100

beginner? play as any team versus WM or ALL

novice? play as NHL versus BOS

pro? play as BOS versus NHL

expert? play as WM or ALL versus BOS

best ever? play as WM or ALL versus NHL, or try to get through the playoffs

note that having manual line changing on will tire your players out, a phenomenon that happens to an extreme with the extremely shallow scrub teams. use that option to tweak the challenge mode most appropriate to your skill level.

this revision of NHL '94 allows you to select the skill level most desirable. you may put up hundreds of goals in a single game and/or lose to the computer. good luck!

you'll want to use a gamepad, as a keyboard will be quite difficult to operate. here are the controls, based on the standard SNES controller:

control.jpg

L = left defenseman control

R = right defenseman control

u, l, r, d = up, left, right, down directional movement

X = goaltender control

Y = dive, stand up, flip toss, hook, hold, vogue

A = stack pads, skate, check, shoot, kill

B = pass, player selection, poke check, steal, trip

s = line change

S = start, menu

please note that the images in this thread may not show evidence of all of the mentioned features, as they are pictures from varied incarnations of this thing and some of the changes came more recently.

---

if you do not agree to all of the terms that follow below, do not download a copy.

[1] - the copy you download is for your non-commercial personal use.

[2] - you will not use this file in any way for personal gains beyond entertainment nor will you profit financially from its use.

[3] - any possible adverse effects to your computer (and the systems networked with it) that may be the result of downloading and executing the file are your risks that are to be remedied at nobody's expense beyond your own.

TRU94 is available for the purpose of preservation and archival reproduction and is protected under ruling 1201 of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 11/27/06. the administratively created anti-circumvention exemption amendment is applicable to this file as stated in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act H.R. 2281: "computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. a format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace." the hardware required to operate TRU94 and its technology have been obsolete and commercially unavailable for well over a decade. the cessation of development and production of said obsolete hardware indisputably aligns TRU94 with the anti-circumvention exemption amendment.

---

July 30th, 2011, update:

tru94.zip

Edited by trudatman

Just in case you weren't aware, you can upload roms in your post for people to download from this thread (just compress it into a zip file).

Cheers!

are you saying that you didn't complete 440% of your passes?

other ROM fails abound. one is at the end of the deck of player cards for both of the scrub teams. I suspect (though the 25 aggression ratings are slowing testing) that with multiple injuries and/or penalties, other fine actions will be seen.

Considering Ron was stoned out of his mind broadcasting from chocolate pond, 440% is about par.

The meth burst really makes up for the lack of speed in back checking, but 1/2 of the Habs goals came by way of weak one timers from above the dots.

meth burst? no meth (required, at least) and it's Choate -- a real place.

I'm wondering how long the periods were and how many passes you think you attempted and received. I feel like the lack of pass receiving is the hardest part. 7-4... I guess you picked ten minute periods. Sarah and Jill sure do give it up, though, so if you can't get any decent shots on net, you can lose in this game.

did you enjoy it?

meth burst? no meth (required, at least)

My moniker for the speed burst, the bane of my existence.

and it's Choate -- a real place.

How disappointing.

I'm wondering how long the periods were and how many passes you think you attempted and received. I feel like the lack of pass receiving is the hardest part. 7-4... I guess you picked ten minute periods.

My pass percentage is usually around 70% against the com.

did you enjoy it?

Indeed, fun for the whole family.

Probably the most challenging game I've played against he com since the 1 on 5 rom I made where I'd switch to goalie if I didn't capitalize on a scoring chance.

your answer about "70%" addressed the quote above it at a lower rate than 70%.

thanks for playing!

edit: alright! got my backup goalie a goal while she was playing right wing. everybody else was on the ice, in the box or injured. now to get one more off the ice to see what happens...

well, I beat Buffalo 12 to 11 (20, on+, off), but I wasn't able to injure anybody else. I will try using pros with intent to injure scrubs...

should be fairly easy to injure two players and get a few penalized at the same time, but I've yet to do it. while I have encountered some nice glitches, I suspect the "Arena" player or something weird can be achieved with that method.

Edited by trudatman

I think I broke Ron Barr's abacus.

post-194-1276213650_thumb.jpg

Beat Montreal 7-4.

That's funny, the game can only do the calculation with a number of passes up to 255 (the largest number that can be stored in 8 bits). Since you had more than 255, it screwed up:

176/(296-256)=4.4=440%

That's funny, the game can only do the calculation with a number of passes up to 255 (the largest number that can be stored in 8 bits). Since you had more than 255, it screwed up:

176/(296-256)=4.4=440%

does it suck when any video game glitch happens, it is no longer funny and you automatically know why? :DB)

does it suck when any video game glitch happens, it is no longer funny and you automatically know why? :D:)

maybe a bit..

but there are still the good ol' totally insane bugs like skating in the crowd, upside down players, 12 goalies... : )

Edited by trudatman

used this ROM to put up 134 points (doing the opposite of what the ROM is meant for). was a shutout, but the goalie didn't get a star of the game awarded to him. pretty uneventful. this score could easily be beaten, especially if you want to bother using save states. still trying to hurt/penalize enough of the scrub teams' players to see what happens when they are truly shorthanded, but I've yet to get that final player out. possibilities abound. check it out.

edit: when too many players are in the box and they need a skater, one is pulled form the box and his time remaining reads as 0:00 until his penalty expires. I still want to know what happens in a similar instance with too many players injured.

Edited by trudatman

I really should post the updated ROM... okay, doing that right now.

Edited by trudatman

it appears that five minute penalties take fifteen seconds to get sorted out. ref conference, I guess.

edit: the current Bruins were updated.

Edited by trudatman

• 2 weeks later...

looking into making actual cartridges. anybody done this?

bumping this because I added a much better description of the ROM to the first post.

word. get on it like it's my moms!

Edited by trudatman

http://www.retrousb.com/

( http://www.retrousb.com/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=5643225173988690cdd55a353c8149c1 )

There you can buy cartridges that you can put (I assume any) roms on... Maybe not exactly what you had in mind, but still. :) Been wanting one for NES. :D

thanks. any idea how the SNES one works? you save your ROM on a flashcard and it autoloads it? buffer menu? bypasses Nintendo copyright check? looks cool.

edit: I believe I would need the file header offset fixed. if anybody can help me with that, I could use that type of assistance with this ROM and with my Street Fighter hack, too.

Edited by trudatman

• 1 month later...

lost 17-16 (STR versus WM) today. was back and forth. then I was down by four or five in the third. I came back to tie it in the final minute. they put one more in with about 33 seconds left to play. I lost. got to love the ability to lose to the computer! whoo! feels good.

updated file in the first post and linked in my signature. holler!

edit: lost again; 12-11.

Edited by trudatman

I am trying very hard to get three people injured at the same time for one of the two bad teams. I can't seem to get it to happen and I am frustrated. with two injuries, the backup goalie skates. with three, I suspect there will be an "arena" glitch or a decent (but maybe nameless) player created (the player cards for those teams show an extra player at the end of the decks), but I can't prove my theory. are you good at hurting folks in ninety-flow? do it up, please! if you do get three injured, figure out what happens and get screenshots of the extra player (if there is one) listed in the goal/assist pop-up (maybe pull your goaltender after the third injury to make it more likely that they score) and/or the goals statistics list from the menu. I get the closest using the Global Allstars against one of the crap teams (with fatigue/manual changing on), but it may be easier to play as the bad team and just hold the puck a lot. ideas? help? holler!

I made the game three hours long and I still couldn't get three people on the same team injured at once, but I did determine some things you may or may not have known. when the backup goalie comes in to play for one of the injured, his/her stats get recorded in the wrong places. the goals appear as goals allowed and the shots appear as shots faced. the goaltender playing forward or defense does have their shots and goals tallied in the game stats section, but they cannot earn hattricks nor stars of the game for their points-producing heroics. that is all for now. holler.

finally cleared that third injury thing up. the first injured player gets healed and comes back. not very exciting, but I didn't know that a dead player could be resurrected, so at least that was determined (the last image below is the previously dead player assisting the two goalies on a goal). also, the goals/assists/points stats on the player stats screen can only handle two digits... nothing too revolutionary there, but I figured I'd test it anyway. yeah. an updated ROM file (with sixty-minute periods) to come soon.

aa2k.png

aa3.png

aa4.png

aa5n.png

updated.

-no more punctuation-based glitches in the team names

-5/20/60-minute period lengths

-adjusted home/away, offense/defense, powerplay/penalty kill advantages

-fixed filler teams' lineup glitches

-altered more menu text and graphics

got an older version? please download this update. thanks.

pending changes for next release: playoffs reinstated, Bruins roster/lineup updates.

Edited by trudatman

• 4 weeks later...

had the net release as the player leaving the penalty box.

94netmenu.png

it didn't interfere with the players at all.

94netice.png

it was missing from where it should have been.

94nonet.png

not sure why Katie thought to try to save this shot with a big black dildo.

94cock.png

fun.

replaced Reich with Caron on the Bruins and set their lines to reflect their preseason rosters. will likely update on the first day of the season. may bring in the rest of the league, minus a few teams. which teams would be cut, though...?

file updated in first post and signature link.

Edited by trudatman

• 2 weeks later...

reinstated playoffs and lots of other things. updated in first post.

Edited by trudatman

• 1 month later...

lots of changes. updated file in the first post.

• 4 weeks later...

been playing this mostly as 2011 Boston Bruins versus the NHL Stars, so I figured I'd give those two teams some polishing. the links have been updated (again). I don't feel bad about the frequent updates (and the posts going along with them), because folks are downloading this thing. anybody enjoying it?

Edited by trudatman

• 6 months later...

this thing just got its first update in quite some time. I know, I know, but calm down.