NHL'94 Forums

NHLPA 93 strip hack

top shelf

Finally finished my strip hack for SNES 93. Will create a patch (sometime) if anyone is interested???

Can now have much more realistic team uniforms as all jersey parts and helmets are separate. Teams like Montreal, Chicago, Philadelphia now look really cool. Did eyes as well but couldn’t be bothered with stick tape. I don’t think players on the bench are editable (or haven’t found them). See picture which shows all parts are different.

Will now have a go at creating a rom with Smoz’s 52 team rom.

post-1995-062319600 1277109461_thumb.jpg

Edited by top shelf

Some examples:

MTL and TOR (now correct helmets for MTL, correct shoulders/arms for TOR)

NYR and NJ (much more realistic jerseys)

PHI and LA (now correct helmets for PHI -arms not correct but needed more colours!!)

CHI and EDM (now correct helmets for CHI and correct shoulder colour for EDM)

post-1995-017481700 1277120437_thumb.jpg

post-1995-046592200 1277120446_thumb.jpg

post-1995-020097900 1277120480_thumb.jpg

post-1995-060992300 1277120589_thumb.jpg

Pretty cool, top shelf. Not a biggest fan of the '93 version for SNES, but I was intrigued by the ability to isolate the colors for the helmet. This would be something cool to have in '94 as well (I've done some stuff using Statto's '94 editor, trying to make as "realistic" of uniforms as possible.) Just curious, how did you accomplish this?

Basically you need to free up a colour in the palette e.g. the one used for skates then you can use this somewhere else e.g. the helmet. Each time you free up a colour then you need to go an apply this to every single sprite that appears in the game. Don't try this unless you have lots of patience as not all the sprites can be viewed as a whole, in fact a lot are just unrecognisable bits!!! So to create everything separately on the upper body was quite a job but worth the effort I think.

• 2 months later...

Have tried to see what else I can do regarding the strip hack. Think I have now reached the limit without a bigger palette.

Tried making the Islanders, Pittsburgh and Anaheim more realistic by adding lower arms. Looks quite good (see pic) but you lose the colours except one on the waist and socks plus the goalie masks are very similar to the helmet colour.

What do ye think - more realistic or not?

post-1995-015582000 1284378393_thumb.png

Edited by top shelf

• 2 weeks later...