NHL'94 Forums

Wireless players disrepsect the game

Guest Wags13

Guest Wags13

Just my two cents- you guys that are so cool that you have to play on wireless connections can play with yourselves from now on.. and your "usually its smooth" reply is dishonest and generally disrespectful to those who choose to play the right way.. good day.

Now for a non-a**hole message for players on wireless:

Windows XP or 7 users using 802.11g or n: You should not experience lag because of your wireless connection, so long as your signal strength is 30% or greater. If it is lower move closer to your router, or get your hand on a directional antenna. Also make sure you have a unique SSID for your connection, and ensure it is WPA or WPA-2 protected. If you are on a 802.11b wireless router, it's time to upgrade.

Windows Vista wireless users: Windows Vista contains a "feature" where it scans for new access points every 60 seconds; this causes a huuuuge lag spike. The easiest work around for this is a program called Vista Anti-Lag. I don't know the rules on posting 3rd party programs on this site so I won't post a link, but if you are interested you can google it. Just run the program, select it in the system tray, and select "activate." Always make sure it is activated before you play, because I think it resets if you're computer goes to sleep.

I play SSB64 on PJ64k w/ "excellent" connection continuously for 45 minutes to an hour before a desync occurs (and even then it's against my buddy who is on crappy college internet, so it could be him desyncing).

Guest Wags13

Now for a non-a**hole message for players on wireless:

Windows XP or 7 users using 802.11g or n: You should not experience lag because of your wireless connection, so long as your signal strength is 30% or greater. If it is lower move closer to your router, or get your hand on a directional antenna. Also make sure you have a unique SSID for your connection, and ensure it is WPA or WPA-2 protected. If you are on a 802.11b wireless router, it's time to upgrade.

Windows Vista wireless users: Windows Vista contains a "feature" where it scans for new access points every 60 seconds; this causes a huuuuge lag spike. The easiest work around for this is a program called Vista Anti-Lag. I don't know the rules on posting 3rd party programs on this site so I won't post a link, but if you are interested you can google it. Just run the program, select it in the system tray, and select "activate." Always make sure it is activated before you play, because I think it resets if you're computer goes to sleep.

I play SSB64 on PJ64k w/ "excellent" connection continuously for 45 minutes to an hour before a desync occurs (and even then it's against my buddy who is on crappy college internet, so it could be him desyncing).

Don't patronize me boy. Wireless is no suitable alternative and it disrespects your opponent creating terrible quality of play.. keep your tech support reply out of it.

well, at least I'm not the biggest jerk on the site anymore. when's the next vote?

Don't patronize me boy. Wireless is no suitable alternative and it disrespects your opponent creating terrible quality of play.. keep your tech support reply out of it.

Translated:

Don't patronize me boy. I played against a couple people who are leeching internet off their neighbor's wireless 3 houses down, this means all users on wireless are disrespectful, and not me for making assumptions about the integrity of others wireless connections. Don't try and offer the NHL94.com community tech help that may alleviate this problem in the future because then how will I justify my rage quitting of NHL94 all together?

Don't patronize me boy. I played against a couple people who are leeching internet off their neighbor's wireless 3 houses down, this means all users on wireless are disrespectful, and not me for making assumptions about the integrity of others wireless connections. Don't try and offer the NHL94.com community tech help that may alleviate this problem in the future because then how will I justify my rage quitting of NHL94 all together?

hahaha, thats hilarious! :haha:

and fairly close to what is tru.

Guest Wags13

Translated:

There is no alleviation of the problem you Rhode Island f**k, the wireless connection IS THE PROBLEM... just because you are inferior console player, inferior state resident, and inferior person in general you don't have to take my post personally.

Radio waves travel at the speed of light which is the same speed electricity travels at. Pinging my router with 32 bytes per packet from my wireless connection, I get no latency higher than 3ms (most are 1 or <1 ms) round trip time. I sent 93 packets and received 93 packets; 0 packet loss. Pinging from a wired connection usually yields all 1 ms or <1 ms with 0 packet loss. That means a wireless connection adds a (in my case) MAXIMUM 3ms of lag to the connection. This is not enough to make a significant difference in online gaming. Now a problem with wireless gaming is IF there is packet loss there will be desyncs and lag. If people follow my directions then it will have a positive impact on wireless users playing NHL94.

Guest Wags13

Radio waves travel at the speed of light which is the same speed electricity travels at. Pinging my router with 32 bytes per packet from my wireless connection, I get no latency higher than 3ms (most are 1 or <1 ms) round trip time. I sent 93 packets and received 93 packets; 0 packet loss. Pinging from a wired connection usually yields all 1 ms or <1 ms with 0 packet loss. That means a wireless connection adds a (in my case) MAXIMUM 3ms of lag to the connection. This is not enough to make a significant difference in online gaming. Now a problem with wireless gaming is IF there is packet loss there will be desyncs and lag. If people follow my directions then it will have a positive impact on wireless users playing NHL94.

Too bad your brain waves travel at the speed of.. of..

a laggy wireless player

:lol:

Here is my tech support solution:

1) Plug cable into wall

2) Instantly faster connection

when people play wireless it makes me crazy. i dont care about this stupid raido waves as fast as light crap, its just common courtesy. if almost all players plug in to play and you dont, yer an ass.

Another translation

when people play wireless it makes me crazy. i dont care about the facts, its just common courtesy for people to believe myths.

No, seriously, next you guys are going to say people who aren't on Windows XP are causing lag and are asses.

Here is my tech support solution:

1) Plug cable into wall

2) Instantly faster connection

Faster by a maximum of 3ms... on one out of 100 packets. Also ping is less determined by distance and more determined by router processing time and hops.

Edited by crackawhat

There is also a matter of sticking in just one server when there are others to be used. Therefore, it's not impossible to have good ping on different servers be it that the connection used is wireless or not.

I don't have a ton to add to this...but I went out and bought a wire for the express reason of making online gaming go smoother, and I probably make less money than 99% of the people here :P

Guest Wags13

No, seriously, next you guys are going to say people who aren't on Windows XP are causing lag and are asses.

No you're an ass for making that stupid comparison. How silly of us to make connection issue to connection type argument right? Seriously turd, you can run an ethernet cable down to your mom and dad's basement and play normally, its no shame..

Guest Wags13

Wags please stop addressing other forum members in a disrespectful manner.

Maybe I missed it but I'm sure you gave Turd the same warning, you know, since he was first to call me an a**hole..

There is no alleviation of the problem you Rhode Island f**k, the wireless connection IS THE PROBLEM... just because you are inferior console player, inferior state resident, and inferior person in general you don't have to take my post personally.

wow thats harsh

Guest Wags13

He's an a**hole and he sucks at this game. LoL.

At least me and Carse win from time to time y'know.

I love how Wags never gets censored by the holy team of mods.

I've been censored BTW plenty by the mod's and unfairly done so by the way - i.e. i am banned for a period of time and another offender got off scott free so screw me

Experiment 1: Ideal conditions

(There is a 2nd experiment also in this post.. and a Conclusion and recommendations at the bottom)

Pingtest.net with the Toronto server. I live in Ottawa.

I have a laptop and a desktop, and I will do a ping test on each of them under different conditions, while nothing else is downloading on the other.

Router:

Linksys WRT310Nv2 (i bought it last year, it's modern)

It's a wireless N router, but both of my computers only have wireless G adapters...

Desktop computer:

CPU: P4 2.8GHz single core, but with hyperthreading (simulated dual core, so it multitasks well)

RAM: 1GB

Windows XP.

It's about 5m away from the router.

Laptop computer:

Pentium M 1.87Ghz single core, no hyperthreading, so it sucks at multitasking

RAM: 1GB

Windows 7

I tried it 5m away from the router, and upstairs on a diagonal (diagonal means the signal has to go through more wall/floor material)

Desktop wireless (5m):

19650754.png19650803.png19650845.png

Average Ping: 30ms

Average Jitter: 3.33ms

Average packet loss: 0.33%

Desktop wired:

19650952.png19650984.png19651017.png

Average Ping: 28.33ms

Average Jitter: 3.33ms

Average packet loss: 0%

Laptop wireless (5m):

19651986.png19652015.png19652046.png

Laptop wireless (upstairs):

19651850.png19651900.png19651927.png

Laptop wired:

19652750.png19652789.png19652827.png

Experiment 2: Someone else using Youtube on your network

These ping tests are done on the desktop, while the laptop is downloading and playing a 480p video. The laptop is right beside the router.

both wireless:

19655526.png19655554.png19656143.png

Ping: 61.33

Jitter: 59.33

Loss: 1.33%

desktop wireless, laptop wired:

19655742.png19655801.png no 3rd test, i got lazy

Ping: 49

Jitter: 40.5

Loss: 0.5%

desktop wired, laptop wireless:

19656015.png19656049.png19656079.png

Ping: 43

Jitter: 29

Loss: 0

both wired:

19655884.png19655920.png no 3rd test, i got lazy

Ping: 33

Jitter: 8.5

Loss: 0

Conclusions:

Under ideal conditions where no one else is on your network, then it's fine to use wireless.

If anyone else is on your network and doing something like watching youtube and EITHER ONE OF YOU is wireless, you will have a significantly worse connection.

In no case when wired was there packet lossage. I'm not sure why that is, as I would have expected lossage to occur outside the network, but it appears that it can happen inside on the wireless connection.

If no one else uses your network, then it doesn't matter if you go wired or wireless. If anyone else is on your network, you should wire up.

Also, this test was done during the daytime when other people in the area aren't using their own wireless networks and potentially causing interference...

Other Programs

By far the worst problem I encountered doing this test was when some other application used the network or hogged the CPU. Firefox checked for updates to extensions, killing a test. Windows checked for updates. The Windows virus scanner kicked in for 2 minutes, slowing things down.

Make sure you close down as many programs as possible, especially ones that access the network. I find closing or disconnecting AIM actually does help connections. I'm pretty surprised about this, because it seems like with the speed of computers these days, running a bunch of programs at once and having them use the network should be no problem... but it is.

Recommendations

If anyone else uses your network, wire up. Get them to wire up, also, if you can. The only case where 2 computers were using the network at the same time and connections were stable was when all the computers were wired.

Close as many programs as possible, including your web browser. Browsers these days will save your tabs/windows and reopen them, so use that feature to your advantage (you need to use File->Exit to close all windows at once, if you have multiple windows up). Every time your computer decides to give another program control of the CPU for a short period of time, your connection might slow down.

Also, your computer should have at least 1GB of RAM. 512 is not enough, as your computer will be swapping programs in and out of memory a lot, which causes big lag spikes. 2GB is better, since over time computers seem to accumulate cruft that slows them down -- Dell/HP/whatever installs a bunch of crap, then your printer has some crazy drivers, and your camera wants to have an app running in the background to download images when it's plugged in, etc... it adds up and then your computer gets slower.

Edited by smozoma