NHL'94 Forums

NHL Free Agent Frezny

nationals1

tomorow is Canada day and that means its time for the free agent period to start

the best on the market is said to be Illya Kovalchuck but the Devils are making a push to resign him

Any thoughts on who you want your team to sign?

thanks for that link.

I have a feeling that the Wild won't make a big splash in free agency again this year (too many bad contracts and a shallow forward prospect pool.) Maybe resign Lats and get a cheap center to compete with Sheppard in training camp, but not much more than that. We still don't really have much leverage for pending free agents.

Guest Wags13

Following the Sergei Gonchar situation closely here.. from what I've read - he would re-sign in Pittsburgh for 3 years at $5M per year but Shero only wants to extend for 2 years.. I'd like to see him back but I'm fairly sure some team will throw a 3 year contract at him soon.. so he's probably bye bye

Following the Sergei Gonchar situation closely here.. from what I've read - he would re-sign in Pittsburgh for 3 years at $5M per year but Shero only wants to extend for 2 years.. I'd like to see him back but I'm fairly sure some team will throw a 3 year contract at him soon.. so he's probably bye bye

If they are unable to re-sign Gonchar do they have a deal set with Hamnuis or Eaton?

Edited by nationals1

cheap ass devils won't be able to keep kovy.....he was one of the few guys that played with heart in the playoffs :(

lol i wish the sabres were as 'cheap' as the devils in FA bra, they picked up a couple top shelf dmen already in free agency in Tallinder and Volchenkov. Which btw is EXACTLY what brodeur needs, another shot blocker :)

here are a few of the notables from todays signings

Dan Hamnuis Vancouver: 6yrs 27M

Anton Volchenkov New Jersey: 6yrs 25.5M

Oli Jokenin Calgary: 2yrs 6M

Henrik Tallinder New Jersey: 4yrs 13.5M

Ray Whitney Pheonix: 2yrs 6M

Toni Lydman Anaheim: 3yrs 9M

Paul Martin Pittsburgh: 5yrs 25M

Colby Armstrong Tronto: 3yrs 9M

Zybnek Michalek Pittsburgh: 5yrs 20M

Sergie Gonchar Ottawa: 3yrs 16.5M

Here is a full list of free agent signings:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=25880

the day however, is not yet done and the much coveted Illya Kovalchuck is not yet signed

LoL At the lack of UFA dmans creating havock and getting 25 points guys 5M$ contracts.

lol what??? there is not a lack of UFA defenceman theres an ubundace of them. Defence is not about getting points man its about keeping the puck out of your net, I think that Pittsburgh did an awsome job with their defenceman signings

hamhuis and ballard to van ...sweet ,just upped our defence,now who to get rid of in trades-salo(boomer),bieksa (solid),mitchell(concussion),edler(great young dman),o'brien (tough but doesnt score but decent),and the big monster dman from carolina (who sucked c---arse in playoffs).......p.s we added maholtra as center man ,hardly ever seen guy play ....anyone here watch this guy play?

Edited by hokkeefan

It doesn't mean you can't bring offense, look it up.

How many 25 points guys are paid 5M$ and considered well worth it? Not too much.

Hamuis is like Roman Hamrlik but younger.

So defensive skills are something that should not be paid for?

It doesn't mean you can't bring offense, look it up.

How many 25 points guys are paid 5M$ and considered well worth it? Not too much.

Hamuis is like Roman Hamrlik but younger.

I cannot agree or disagree with this comment becasue I don't see Hamrlik play enough

although in the playoffs I though Hamrilk was awsome!

Matthurray: What a great isolation of my comments you did there.

Btw look it up, Hamhuis was pretty equal to Weber and Suter in quality of competition (behindthenet.com)

And both still posted better offensive numbers.

Yes you can spend money on defense but 5M$ begins to hurt you a bit.

Reports are saying that Kovalchuk will not sign with the L.A. Kings

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

• 2 weeks later...

holy fuck, 17 years for $102 million is quite a contract. I hope he can't play, for whatever reason. Devils must think he's the real deal.

holy fuck, 17 years for $102 million is quite a contract. I hope he can't play, for whatever reason. Devils must think he's the real deal.

They really need to do something about these contracts with the tiny pays in the later years bringing down the cap hit. A simple fix would be to say that yearly salary shouldn't be able to more than halve each year. 'Cause you have guys like Hossa making 7.9 million one year, then 1 million just 2 years later.

Plus, how many guys actually play into their 40s...

that's exactly how this one is structured at his 10th and 11th on.