NHL'94 Forums

NHL Free Agent Frezny

nationals1

They really need to do something about these contracts with the tiny pays in the later years bringing down the cap hit. A simple fix would be to say that yearly salary shouldn't be able to more than halve each year. 'Cause you have guys like Hossa making 7.9 million one year, then 1 million just 2 years later.

Plus, how many guys actually play into their 40s...

Chelios, I think his rookie jersey was chain mail. Agents found a giant loop hole in the cba I can't blame them for exploiting it.. Would of liked to Kovalchuk go to LA.

Going to miss Gagne but have to give credit to Yzerman he's a god damned genius fleecing Holmgren again. He's been gm for no time and already makes his elders look like they don't know their ass from a hole in the wall. He dumped two big contracts off the books and snagged Gagne to help Lecavalier get his groove back.. And my Flyers get Walker Texas Ranger or whomever for one of the most affable players in franchise history. We added Jody Shelley though, he's good at casting shadows. Hopefully Zherdev can live up to some of his hype.

Good times.

Kovalchuk's contract has been rejected by the NHL for "salary cap circumvention"

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2010/07/20/14774691.html

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=328025

He would have been 44 when the contract expired.

The kovalchuk contract is the most re-f**king-diculous thing ive ever seen.

Why couldn't he just sign a 3 year 30 mill or something like that?

17 years? this should be ilegal.

And I think gomez is still making more......

The kovalchuk contract is the most re-f**king-diculous thing ive ever seen.

Why couldn't he just sign a 3 year 30 mill or something like that?

17 years? this should be ilegal.

And I think gomez is still making more......

3 years for 3 mil would be 10 mil against the cap.. the way smoz explained it to me is your cap hit is total salary divided by number of years the contract is for.. thats why deals like franzen and hossa should also be void because they are clearly manipulating the salary cap.

They should've been rejected at the time but this one makes those deals look as fair and balanced as FOX News in the alternate universe

No clearly defined guidelines exist that would align his deal with circumvention, even though the NHL has discretion to decide what's cap circumvention and what's not - there is no black and white language that would specifically rule this out. It makes the NHL look like a kangaroo court and the NHLPA will probably file grievance.

Hypothetically speaking he could of signed to play until he's 95 for the league minimum annually irrespective of how flagrant the exploitation is, or how bat s**t the numbers are if it fits under the cap.

Hossa 12 years

Kovalchuk 17 years

Anyone see the giant neon middle finger pointed towards the cba that separates Hossa's deal from Kovalchuk's?

It's the final 5 years of the deal that's beneath the league minimum wage that is the issue.

not sure how they expected years at below current minimums to fly. also not sure what "could of" means.

not sure how they expected years at below current minimums to fly. also not sure what "could of" means.

Pellegrini worked for the NHL as a cap regulator he knew how to slip this through. Could of means how awesome it could of been to see the NHL let the first star player defect to the KHL in the prime of his career if Jersey can still iron this out.

ah, English as a second language, huh? what do kids in Philadelphia speak/type/write? I'm guessing some form of Canadan.

I could have gone with tact, but fuck that! no, not "buttfuck!" you are weird.

ah, English as a second language, huh? what do kids in Philadelphia speak/type/write? I'm guessing some form of Canadan.

I could have gone with tact, but fuck that! no, not "buttfuck!" you are weird.

not really necessary :huh:

agreed.

They really need to do something about these contracts with the tiny pays in the later years bringing down the cap hit. A simple fix would be to say that yearly salary shouldn't be able to more than halve each year. 'Cause you have guys like Hossa making 7.9 million one year, then 1 million just 2 years later.

Plus, how many guys actually play into their 40s...

Well, you got your wish

the kovalchuck deal has been rejected by the NHL

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=534725&navid=DL|NHL|home

As good as the NHL salary cap system has been working for the league compared, there should be some changes made for the next CBA. I would think that 7 years max for term (with an extension possible after 4 years) and a stipulation where the amount given in a year as to be at least a certain percentage of the previous year's amount (allows some front/back-loading within limits). In this way, GMs could still be flexible in cap hit but not do what the Devils were trying to pull.

As long as there isn't another lockout, this should be put in place to keep salaries a little more under control.

• 2 weeks later...

How's this for a surprise? Mike Modano is going to his childhood team, the Detroit Red Wings. Confirmed!

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=535408

Chicago signs Marty Turco, released from the Stars. Where does that leave Niemi (and Huet)?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=535332

Remaining top free agents so far:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=533739

There should be a retroactive cap penalty for retirement.

Exemple: Kovalchuk will NEVER play those ,550 years. So this should be his years

6.0, 6.0, 11.5 ,11.5 ,11.5 ,11.5, 11.5 ,10.5 ,8.5 ,6.5 ,3.5

Kovalchuk's cap is now 7,9. Now How many years that would make where NJ would have blown the cap if?. 11 Maybe 10 because of the last year. Now make teams pay a thing like the luxury tax in Baseball. Let's say 1 $ for a Real Dollar. That's probably something like 15 Million the owner of NJ now has to pay. Not every team can do that anymore. That will restrict to teams with big money, and a good bunch of them, haven't gone that way so far (MTL, TOR, NYR) .

And at the same time, it's probably the only solution teams will accept, since the powerful ones pretty much direct the league.

What will happen to Kovalchuck if this deal stays rejected? The Kings have just spent a crucial 3 Million dollars on Alex Ponakaraski which leads me to think that they are unable to sign Ilya. The Islanders still have money but Kovalchuck has stated that he wants to go to a team that will contend. I have no idea what the hell the devils can do to get Kovalchuck other than the deal that theve already tried. As much as I hate to say it, if this deal doesn't go through I think theres a strong possibility that Kovalchuck could go to the KHL

I think that Ilya and the Devils could work out a new deal if the original one rejected. I think Kovy wants to stay in NJ (though it may be his only choice at this point)...

IMO the Turco signing was smart by the Hawks, gives the team room to sign/dress enough players to play a game with a little insurance money to spare. Niemi wasn't Hasek, let's not get too ahead of ourselves; in this FA goalie market, he's not worth $2.75m.

Modano to Wings made a lot of sense (think Hull/Robi/Drake), though it'll be weird to see him in a non-Stars/North Stars uniform. What number is he going to wear? It wont be #9, that's for sure (retired for Gordie).

In other free agent news, another cap casualty for the Hawks as Madden goes to the Wild for 1yr 1mil. As a Wild fan, I was shocked to learn this, but I love the signing; we get a 3-time Stanley Cup champion, amazing character guy, responsible defensive forward, and now the team has depth at the center position for the first time in years! The Wild actually look like they may be a playoff team after all...

It's only 1 year for Madden, so they have to make it worth it.

Modano will most likely wear #90 in Detroit.

modano ,datsyk,zetterburg,lidstrom...etc(det needs a goalie but with so many stars,they be fine) ,chicago with core and under acheiving goaltender over the past few yrs ,I say they be battling for 1-4 with van and sj again....P.S,unless cody hodgson proves he's a star i think van goes nowhere in playoffs again...as usual.Unless Sedins turn into men after 9 seasons lolol

I'm just so excited to see how Modano fits in on that third line, seems excellent. And thank god they're gonna put Z, Dats and Holmer back together, just never got why they got split up. All those forth liners feels like a question mark though.. If they can stay (at least somewhat) healthy I think they'll be back on track.

Never really cared for the Lightnings before, but they seem very interesting this season. Yzerman seems to be doing a great job so far. Getting Gagne was such a steal!