NHL'94 Forums

help with Tile Layer Pro

trudatman

...a way to make heads bleed. tried editing the three "tiles" (weird that they are all partial tiles, seemingly overlapping, like if you want to edit out the player numbers and positions under them, it ain't as easy as painting what was there black... not sure why...) that most looked like the dead player's head, but none of them actually ended up being ANYTHING I saw during gameplay. I'm a bit confused. can somebody assist me, in any way?

• 1 month later...

went through the ROM much more carefully with the tile editor, replacing every piece that looked like it could possibly be the face of the sprawled-out injured player, but none turned out to be that tile fragment. I'm still quite confused about the seemingly overlapping sprite parts. when I try to remove the numbers and stars and arrows there are always little parts I can't get to disappear. maybe replacing those dots with other colors would make them invisible, but it isn't the most logical of tactics. EA sure did a great job of scrambling the data in this game. in other ROMs I've opened up (Sega CD and Genesis NHL '94s, SNES Street Fighter II, SNES Sim City), replacing sprites is easy once the colors are figured out. SNES NHL '94 is almost as jumbled as SNES Zelda. I'm hoping somebody here is good with this stuff and wants to help me. holler!

• 9 months later...

well, the +/- keys between the zero button and the delete buttons on the keyboard shift this stuff around enough to see what often appears jumbled. if you are doing something like I did in which you are editing (out) the offscreen-player arrows, you will need to use these keys until one arrow image displays correctly as parts in several sprites (as delineated by the grids) and then edit the pieces before using the plus and minus buttons again to line up and prepare the next few arrows. I'm glad it was something so simple that was holding me back for so long, as I had a nice backlog of things to do in the SNES version, like recolor the goal iron, remove stars and arrows, remove numbers and position indicators, shrink the puck.... it's so much prettier, now. people will likely not enjoy the lessened information, but I sure do.