NHL'94 Forums

Goalie animation difference between Gens and SNES

This had called my attention for quite a while, so I should address it here. I have noticed that in the Genesis version the goalies have more animations on save attempts whereas in the SNES version they're rather lacking in number. This is a little homework for the ROM experts to see how many animations exist in both versions for the sake of comparison. Pics, of course, are welcome!

can't speak to the Genesis one, but I often find myself amazed at the variety of moves in the SNES game. got to love being able to simply instantly switch to the goalie and stack the pads.

Well, apart from having played a lot of games on the SNES version, I haven't seen that many animations on it. On the Genesis version I've seen a lot of them, and it's not just with the leg pads; the goalies use the glove and stick in various ways to either catch the puck or block it and on top of that they can manage to do some of them in a few different angles, trying to block a shot if it's made from the side or from a lob.

Pictures are welcome so that we can compare them better. Right-handed goalies with the glove on that hand also apply.

I admit that the other glove attempts in SNES look good, though.

Edited by RedWingDevil

so you are talking about a particular type of save attempt? I'm not sure I follow.

why not just play a game and take a bunch of shots/dekes.. and every time the goalie does something new, go into instant replay and take a screenshot... instead of asking "ROM experts" to spend their time on it..

why not just play a game and take a bunch of shots/dekes.. and every time the goalie does something new, go into instant replay and take a screenshot... instead of asking "ROM experts" to spend their time on it..

brilliant.jpg

BRILLIANT!

Edited by beavers33

Having edited all of them in the past, and for the upcoming NHL11 rom, I could name them off the top of my head.. Some of the more arcane saves aren't seen much because they need awkward, sharp angle shots.

I can say unequivocally that I have no idea which version has more goalie sprites, but a screen shot of the goalie sprite field(s) from both games in TM could provide an answer - though it's difficult to see them in that canvas | block size.

The Gens version doesn't mirror all the goalie sprites, in some instances.. Like one of the 3 types of glove saves has a sprite for facing left and right, even though they appear to be the same.

The oddest save I've seen of late is the one on a backhand to forehand deke pass shot, the goalie basically pushes their stick and knee out. looks weird. gens

if you can show me the tiles from SNES organized in a way that allows for such an experience, I will thank you.

what about a video file? Will that satisfy you? Of course, I can't record on ZNES, so I think I'm gonna have to use Snes9x. Although I don't know who can handle those.

coincidentally, i came across this thread today that explains how to see the sprites clearly in Tile Molester. The last image is the result for nhl94 on the genesis.

it's not perfectly clear in 94 since a lot of tiles get jumbled, but it might be good enough for you to check out the answer to your question.

I suspect that the technique will work with SNES ROMs, too...

I suspect it wouldn't. the SNES images are so jumbled... they even seem to overwrite each other, essentially having multiple (drastically different) pieces of the data using the same image parts. I hope I'm wrong, but open the SNES ROM image and peek.

• 2 weeks later...