NHL'94 Forums

Graphics Editing with Tile Molester Help

smozoma

Resources to help you with Tile Molester (ROM graphics editing program)

Download Tile Molester 0.16

How to run Tile Molester:

Try double-clicking tm.jar (it's a java program.. boo)

If that doesn't work, try this:

• run Notepad (Start->Run...->notepad or [WindowsKey]+R), and write this:
  • java -jar tm.jar
  • File->Save As...
  • set "save as type" to "All Files"
  • give it this file name: "runtm.bat"
  • save in the same directory as tm.jar
  • double-click runtm.bat

If you get a "'java' is not recognized'" error, install the Java JRE: https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Tile Molester Help Videos (courtesy of slapshot67)

Player Sprite editing help (wboy)

Tile Molester reference screenshots (wboy)

How to find uniform colour palettes (beavers33)

Altering The Net and Puck palettes (clockwise)

Player pictures (wboy)

Edited by smozoma
fix TM link
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

This is a great start, thanks!

I'm trying to replace the title screen image with a new one. I'm printing out a custom cover and I want the player on my custom cover to be on the title screen. The NHL94, NHL Shield, and NHLPA logos don't need to be changed, just the player image.

I've found the title screen image in Tile Molester, I just don't know how to replace it with my new image. Any suggestions?

look in wboy's tile molester reference screenshots. should be the third image, pic, but i'm not possible. make sure the offset, the color palette, size, type, and screen size (bottom right corner of the page) is the same. can't tell you much else right now, because i'm at work.

I may have answered my own question...I was looking through the Ice logo editing tutorial and I noticed that there is a bmp import function. I'll give that a try and see how it comes out.

I don't see a bmp import function in Tile Molester. I might have to give Tile Layer Pro a try. Lots of work just to replace a title screen but it's gonna be cool when it's done.

you can import a .bmp file in TM. make sure you save the image in photoshop or whatever you're using, select the whole title screen in the rom, then paste from (wherever your image is on you computer). all i use is .bmp files.

Edited by beavers33

you can import a .bmp file in TM. make sure you save the image in photoshop or whatever you're using, select the whole title screen in the rom, then paste from (wherever your image is on you computer). all i use is .bmp files.

Ah, thanks man! I'll give it a try tonight.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I was reading a different thread where wboy shows how to get the colors loaded to help find the palette. I was able to follow the initial part where you use the debug option to display the current colors loaded, which then you can find the RGB and convert to Hex. The next part is where I would appreciate if someone could help breakdown further. I am working in NHL 95 so not everything is the same, and this knowledge will help others help themselves if also working in different games. How do you ensure that the location you find the color match is the right location in the bin? How do you know what the start and size of the palette is to load?

Thanks

• 2 months later...

To the guys posting questions in this thread...what is it you're trying to do exactly? I can do it for you, and then explain how I did it once it's done. My email is johnalexndr@yahoo.com

Just send me whatever rom you want me to work on and tell me what you want done. be glad to help.

It would be great if someone posted a thread tutorial on "how to change a team logo" and show it step by step. Like here's how you change Anaheim old logo to new logo. I know the information is there, but the simple tutorial doesn't exist.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I am still trying to get some help from someone on a Sochi edition. I have all of the teams done, just need to do the banners and center ice logos! Please help! I tried the tilemolester, but it doesn't work.

skip

marcskip1619@yahoo.com

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone, I need help with editing graphics. I want to change the rom screen. Perhaps everything I do as I do, I put the image in a tile molester, add pallete, see image1, everything looks ok, I save. But when I run rom emulator colors are totally different, see image2 ... please please please any advice on what I should do ...

post-8069-0-34435700-1401795848_thumb.pn

post-8069-0-20404300-1401795858_thumb.pn

@ Marty - Looks like you're on the wrong palette.

Click "Palette" on the top of the screen. Then click "import from" and click "this file". Then type in the following:

Offset: 1152422

Size: 64

Format: 9bpp BGR (Genesis)

Byte Order: Motorola

Then click "OK"

After that, go back to "palette" on the top, and click "format". Make sure it's on "9bpp". Then, click "palette" again, and click "byte order". Make sure it's on "Motorola".

Finally, click "View" on the top of the screen, then click "Codec" and make sure it's on "4bpp linear".

Should work now. Though you will probably have to adjust the colors. :)

Edited by nhlpa93easn

Sophomore,Thanks very much for the advice, just give it a try... But I think that I have it set up. I want to ask more terms include the image (image1) into the rom to remain the same color or a bit like... thanks

you might want to rephrase that question, as it didn't really translate well into English.

So I followed your instructions and the result is the same???
Palette in the image1 of the program(GraphicsGale) in which I edited the file,I save Palette and then put in tile molester. So I do not know any other advice...

• 3 weeks later...

hi, so I solved the pallete, but when editing strips, I encountered this error (image). Please advice as where exactly do I find these gollie tile or how to fix it ...
thanks in advance for your help!

post-8069-0-80253800-1403187591_thumb.pn

he's not going to be making many saves like that!

For sprites, some colour in the palette must be transparent, otherwise all the players would be rectangular. So I think you must be using the same colour that's around the sprite (the transparent area that gives him his shape) as the colour for the goalie's back.

• 6 months later...

There are 2 common reasons for that.

The first is that I think one of the first or last colours needs to be black or white (I can never remember which) so it gets interpreted as transparent. Or something like that. Anyone with more experience at this know the trick?

The other is that you may not have edited the correct palette.