NHL'94 Forums

Graphics Editing with Tile Molester Help

smozoma

Got the photo done. I did it in Black and white but I actually like it that way.

Next question.

I am having problems with center ice logos.

If I make the Home Jersey dark (like they were in the 60's) it screws up the center ice logo.

How do I fix this?

I used the 2015 rom pallette which has dark home jersey.

It worked

Also is there just one pallette for the center ice logos?

Yes

Edited by CoachMac

I can help, but I'd advice downloading GIMP first. GIMP is a very valuable and easy to use editing program which helps me a lot in hacking game graphics.

OK, lets begin!...

Step 1. Before changing the jersey colors, open up tile molester and go to the center ice logos (assuming you know how to do this? If not, let me know). Once there, you'll see an icon that looks like a magnifying glass in TILE MOLESTER. Make the image as small as possible. Then click "print screen" on your computer keyboard (make sure ("tile grid" is off. You don't want lines running through the image).

Step 2. Open up GIMP. On the top of the page in GIMP, click on "Edit" and then click "Paste as new image". A huge screen shot will appear. Hit the magnifying glass icon in GIMP and zoom in to the center ice logo. Once the logo is zoomed in on, click the button ABOVE the magnifying glass in GIMP that looks like a rectangle. Use it to crop the image. Crop the image so that ONLY the logo remains. After cropping, click the top of the screen in GIMP where it says "file" and then click "save" or "save as". You now have a saved image of a center ice logo.

Final Step. Once this is done, change the colors of the jerseys in NOSE. After changing the colors in NOSE, open up TILE MOLESTER again, and go to ice logos. You'll see the ice logo is messed up because you changed the jersey colors, right? Now is when you import the picture you saved before, and place it on top of the messed up image...Done! You now have new jersey colors, with the same ice logo as before. Repeat this for all teams.

TIP: Try to keep the colors of the dark jerseys about the same as the colors of the white jerseys on the TILE MOLESTER palette. In other words, the same colors, just rearranged differently. This way, TILE MOLESTER won't have any issues once you import the saved picture and it should look the same as before, or close to it.

Let me know how it works out, or any issues you may have. :)

Edited by nhlpa93easn

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

hello again, it's been a while, and about to get back on THAT horse again ..... my WHL season 4 is about to begin again, and i get back into using NOSE and TILE MOLESTER!

and it's problem time

i'v installed all the stuff indicated on the first page, and have an earlier version of TM working, but having troubs getting later versions to go.

on WIN10x64

TM 1.15a (works fine)

TM 1.16 (works but it's in da portuguese, now i had the problem before in how to change it back but you know ..... old age and all that)

Tm 1.18 (doesn't load even with the runtm.bat)

if i can get at least 1.16 in english it'll be fine

35 minutes ago, jenzie said:

hello again, it's been a while, and about to get back on THAT horse again ..... my WHL season 4 is about to begin again, and i get back into using NOSE and TILE MOLESTER!

and it's problem time

i'v installed all the stuff indicated on the first page, and have an earlier version of TM working, but having troubs getting later versions to go.

on WIN10x64

TM 1.15a (works fine)

TM 1.16 (works but it's in da portuguese, now i had the problem before in how to change it back but you know ..... old age and all that)

Tm 1.18 (doesn't load even with the runtm.bat)

if i can get at least 1.16 in english it'll be fine

does 1.18 give any error messages?

open runtm.bat in a plain text editor (notepad) and add a new line at the end with "pause" (without quotes). This should keep the window up so you can see the error message.

For the language.. try editing runtm.bat and the line that starts with 'java' change it to start with

LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8 java

or

java -Duser.language=en -Duser.country=US

https://stackoverflow.com/a/9894836/598746

doesn't even start, just begins the command line process but doesn't go any further

OH WAIT I KNOW WHY

it's gotta be what the .jar file is called, not just TM.jar but TM018.jar!

yep

fine now

i r dumb

again

thanx

:lol:

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, Jlnhlsegafan said:

TM never works when I'm trying to make my Sega 95 hack.

If you don't give any details about what you tried and in what way it didn't work, no one can help.

Think of it like a car problem... "My car won't work!" does not give any information that allows people to help. They instead have to try to guess. "Are you out of gas?" "is it too cold?" "is your battery dead?" "what happens when you turn the key" etc etc.. it's a waste of time.

I can only guess that this may help: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16828076/how-to-run-a-jar-in-mac (.bat is a Windows thing)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I can't get TM to run for me. I tried the following steps:

• run Notepad (Start->Run...->notepad or [WindowsKey]+R), and write this:
  • java -jar tm.jar
  • File->Save As...
  • set "save as type" to "All Files"
  • give it this file name: "runtm.bat"
  • save in the same directory as tm.jar
  • double-click runtm.bat

I verified that my jar file is named tm.jar and the batch file I created in Notepad is in the same directory.

image.png

image.png

1 hour ago, kidswasted said:

That did the trick! Thanks @smozoma! I can't believe I didn't have Java installed on my PC. I always thought it came with it.

it used to! That's why I didn't have instructions for it. I think it came with windows 7 but no longer with windows 10

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2010 at 3:55 PM, smozoma said:

@smozoma @kingraph Just an FYI-It appears slapshot's videos no longer work as they are flash-driven. Not sure if there are any other NHL 94 tutorial videos out there for TM. I'm trying to follow along with generic YouTube videos.

image.png

• 1 year later...
On 8/20/2010 at 3:55 PM, smozoma said:

Resources to help you with Tile Molester (ROM graphics editing program)

Download Tile Molester 0.16

How to run Tile Molester:

Try double-clicking tm.jar (it's a java program.. boo)

If that doesn't work, try this:

• run Notepad (Start->Run...->notepad or [WindowsKey]+R), and write this:
  • java -jar tm.jar
  • File->Save As...
  • set "save as type" to "All Files"
  • give it this file name: "runtm.bat"
  • save in the same directory as tm.jar
  • double-click runtm.bat

If you get a "'java' is not recognized'" error, install the Java JRE: https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

Tile Molester Help Videos (courtesy of slapshot67)

Player Sprite editing help (wboy)

Tile Molester reference screenshots (wboy)

How to find uniform colour palettes (beavers33)

Altering The Net and Puck palettes (clockwise)

Player pictures (wboy)

What if I wanted to use a picture I found online instead of trying to redraw the picture!?!?

1 hour ago, CPLANAS1985 said:

What if I wanted to use a picture I found online instead of trying to redraw the picture!?!?

Check the final link on the first post, it shows you how to replace player pictures

It links to this: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=216

2 hours ago, smozoma said:

Check the final link on the first post, it shows you how to replace player pictures

It links to this: https://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=216

I figured that part out... But how would I add new pictures to players without their own portraits!?!?

23 minutes ago, CPLANAS1985 said:

I figured that part out... But how would I add new pictures to players without their own portraits!?!?

The info is in the zip file in the final link of the first post. It's called a tutorial, you need to read it

3 minutes ago, chaos said:

The info is in the zip file in the final link of the first post. It's called a tutorial, you need to read it

Slowly figured it out... However, how would I add new pictures to those players unlisted (without their own portraits)!?!?

15 minutes ago, CPLANAS1985 said:

Slowly figured it out... However, how would I add new pictures to those players unlisted (without their own portraits)!?!?

you have to make the photos, put them into an unused area of the ROM, and update the pointers.

6 minutes ago, chaos said:

you have to make the photos, put them into an unused area of the ROM, and update the pointers.

How would I do that!?!? What are the hex codes for the Detroit Red Wings roster in the Genesis version of NHL '94!?!? By the way, I'm using Tile Molester...

Edited by CPLANAS1985
For more specifics...

1 minute ago, CPLANAS1985 said:

How would I do that!?!? What are the hex codes for the Detroit Red Wings roster in the Genesis version of NHL '94!?!?

For their player cards? I don't understand exactly what you are asking. If you are going to ask single questions, you are better off doing it in the rom-hacking channel on Discord

15 hours ago, chaos said:

For their player cards? I don't understand exactly what you are asking. If you are going to ask single questions, you are better off doing it in the rom-hacking channel on Discord

@chaos @smozoma @Brutus @kingraph I give up... I can't do it... I can't figure the hex codes for the right players... Part of the problem is that the players NOR teams are given NO names in the 30-team ROM... It would have made it easier to do something with it... The XLS file offers NO clues whatsoever!!!

NHL94 Cards Hex.xls

@chaos @smozoma @Brutus @kingraph I give up... I can't do it... I can't figure the hex codes for the right players... Part of the problem is that the players NOR teams are given NO names in the 30-team ROM... It would have made it easier to do something with it... The XLS file offers NO clues whatsoever!!!

NHL94 Cards Hex.xls 643 kB · 0 downloads

Usually what I do is select the correct encoding in TM (I think it's 3bpp?), set the width to 48 pixels or 6 blocks, then scroll until I see the image I'm looking for.

NHL94 Cards Hex.xls 643 kB · 0 downloads

Also, it should be mentioned, doing player pictures, especially adding pictures for players that don't have pictures, is one of the more difficult modifications to do. Start with easier stuff like replacing the splash screen, to gain experience.

1 hour ago, smozoma said:

Also, it should be mentioned, doing player pictures, especially adding pictures for players that don't have pictures, is one of the more difficult modifications to do. Start with easier stuff like replacing the splash screen, to gain experience.

Again, the 30-team ROM shuffles things around a bit... I don't want to assign data to the wrong place... YKWIM!?!?