NHL'94 Forums

Top 10 teams of NHL94 Sega version - my opinion

EAsports

First let me just say that I'm a long time fan of NHL94 (bought it when it came out in 1993) and have played it for many years. I've completed thousands of games and have kept stats on high scores, etc. Over the years I have compiled what teams have performed the best and I have created a top 10. This list is totally unbiased as I am not a big fan of the game on tv nor do I root for any local teams (I'm in the NYC Area).

I also want to say that the rating numbers in the game are a bit deceiving and not necessarily a good representation of the strength of the team. This is because a player can be rated well in areas that don't translate into scoring, but rather just good "feel". My team rankings below are based on results (scoring and defense). In fact, 2 of the higher rated teams in the game (Montreal and Pittsburg) are not even in the top 10. In my real world tests and experience, Montreal has a weak offense overall and Pittsburg has a bad goalie and unimpressive shooters (yes, ML is one of the highest rated players in the game, but the rest of the team has low accuracy).

I can explain the results later, but for now, here is the list:

1. St Louis (Brett Hull gets my vote for the best offensive player in the game, Joseph is an under-rated goalie and Shanahan is a fantastic shooter as well)

2. Chicago (best goalie in the game combined with above average offense)

3. Washington (solid in very way and great shooters. It's amazing how many goals this team can rack up and bondra is the speediest player in the game)

4. Calgary (solid team with good shooters)

5. Hartford (yes Heartford, they have strengths in all the right places, an amazing team considering their low rating in the game)

6. Toronto (one of my personal favorites, I've set a lot of records, like 40 goals in one game, with this team)

7. New York Rangers (no weaknesses, but nothing all that impressive either)

8. Los Angeles (terrible goalie combined with 2 of the best shooters in the game)

9. Detroit (at first glance this team appears very strong, but in reality they are the 9th best)

10. Boston (a poor goalie and inept shooting from some players spoil a great center and the best defensive player in the game)

I want to add a tip to scoring in nhl94: learn whether a player is left or right handed and try to keep them shooting with their body turned accordingly. I edit my lines to put a right handed player on the left and left handed player on the right, increasing your chances of scoring from that side. Some teams have a slight disadvantage of having 2 right or left handed players at the wings, so one of the players will not have their body turned the best way while shooting. Some players, however, seem almost ambedextrious (sp?) and can shoot effectively from either side.

Edited by EAsports

1. St Louis (Brett Hull gets my vote for the best offensive player in the game, Joseph is an under-rated goalie and Shanahan is a fantastic shooter as well)

3. Washington (solid in very way and great shooters. It's amazing how many goals this team can rack up and bondra is the speediest player in the game)

5. Hartford (yes Heartford, they have strengths in all the right places, an amazing team considering their low rating in the game)

6. Toronto (one of my personal favorites, I've set a lot of records, like 40 goals in one game, with this team)

8. Los Angeles (terrible goalie combined with 2 of the best shooters in the game)

9. Detroit (at first glance this team appears very strong, but in reality they are the 9th best)

10. Boston (a poor goalie and inept shooting from some players spoil a great center and the best defensive player in the game)

Welcome to the site!

You are in for a massive surprise if you ever try to win with some of those teams online :D The computer doesn't check much, but real people do...

St. Louis and especially Hartford are terrible. There is a bug in the game makes it so light players can check heavy players, so a team with a few light bodies can completely shut down teams like St. Louis (hull and shanahan are heavy and janney isn't that good. Brown is similar to Hull, and their other D are nobodies. Joseph is actually easy to pick apart due to his low glove/stick attributes). Speed is also a big factor playing against other people, and lighter players accelerate faster.

I don't think many would argue with these 3 being the best teams:

Detroit - yzerman and ciccarelli are around the 2nd and 8th best forwards in the game. Lidstrom is a big hitter on D.

Chicago - roenick is considered the best player in the game by most. belfour, 2nd best goalie. not much support otherwise, though.

Montreal - best goalie, deep in good light forwards, and a couple respectably light D.

Boston does have the best defensive player in the game, but his name is Don Sweeney, not Ray Bourque :D

However, there is a fix for the bug... some leagues use it (blitz94, nhl91...). Bourque is a beast with the bug fix.

What Smoz said^

I was just gonna say, stlouis is terrible, no breakout speed, slow fatass dmen, only two shooters and they are slow and fat, two light fwds have horrible shots, passing isnt great, hull is almost useless unless your facing an equally fat team.

But welcome to the site, you should try a few online games its a whole new game.

How can you leave off Montreal and Vancouver and Winnipeg. Canucks have probably the fastest team in the game and one of the best players in Bure. Jets have Teemu and good goaltending and Housely and teepo on D. Toronto isnt even close to any of those 3 teams.

Also buffalo is missing? They have an insane roster.

First let me just say that I'm a long time fan of NHL94 (bought it when it came out in 1993) and have played it for many years. I've completed thousands of games and have kept stats on high scores, etc. Over the years I have compiled what teams have performed the best and I have created a top 10. This list is totally unbiased as I am not a big fan of the game on tv nor do I root for any local teams (I'm in the NYC Area).

I also want to say that the rating numbers in the game are a bit deceiving and not necessarily a good representation of the strength of the team. This is because a player can be rated well in areas that don't translate into scoring, but rather just good "feel". My team rankings below are based on results (scoring and defense). In fact, 2 of the higher rated teams in the game (Montreal and Pittsburg) are not even in the top 10. In my real world tests and experience, Montreal has a weak offense overall and Pittsburg has a bad goalie and unimpressive shooters (yes, ML is one of the highest rated players in the game, but the rest of the team has low accuracy).

I can explain the results later, but for now, here is the list:

detroit number 9

and no canucks

definitely WTGA

One of these days I'll get back on the horse of my building lines feature. But yeah, nothing wrong with having personal preferences, but teams such as Hartford, St. Louis, Washington, Toronto, and NYR certainly arent consenseus top 10 picks.

A rough top 10 (in no particular order)

Chicago-JR and Belfour, solid role players in Larmer, Chelios, Russell and Murphy.

Buffalo- Lafontaine, Mogilny and top 3 Dman Svoboda with Fuhr and Hawerchuk.

Calgary- Lower on the list, great talent, not a very defensive aware team though.

Detroit- Top line in game, solid D options and above avg. goalie.

Los Angeles- 2nd best line in game, Zhitnik gives D some sort of checking power.

Montreal- Best team chemistry in the game, light skilled forwards, solid D, top G.

Vancouver- So, so very fast with Ronning, Bure, and Courtnall, avg D and avg G.

Dallas- Almost as fast as Vancouver, avg D and avg G.

Boston- Donato, Juneau, and Sweeney all very light, lack of top end skill, but very gritty.

Winnipeg- I cant stand them, but Selanne, Housely, and Essenssa are top 10 players at each position.