NHL'94 Forums

Working on an altered '94 ROM template

northstar91

Hey everyone! I've been interested in working on the future NHL '11 ROM for SNES '94. My big goal would be to make a 30-team ROM (which I believe is possible), but I'm putting that on hold for now. I'm using my previous updated ROM.

* More room for player data (0x291 for all teams except DET:0x29c and WSH:0x28b)

* Updated player portraits (all generic portraits, updated palettes)

I can post the new offset locations and pointer values for team data if you'd like them.

NOTE: You can't edit this with Statto's '94 ROM editor unless you want to edit uniforms or banner stuff; the addresses on Statto's editor for team data and other information is hard coded. However, I think there is a solution: we could use the pointers found by smozoma to make the editor more flexible by reading the pointer location, converting to offset, then reading the data from there.

Update: So currently I was able to make a mass data shift and have a working ROM...nice. I haven't used a hex editor to edit player info much, so I'll be working on that now...

9/2: I found the palettes for the logos (and the pointer table for these palettes)! Thus, I have altered the logo palettes for each team to make it as close to each team's current logo.

Below is a sneak peek of what I have done so far. I consider it a ROM that I would use for playing, since the lines and rosters aren't current or complete (other than full names, like JSG and PMB). But check it out; it's pretty cool.

NHL \'11 Altered logos.zip

Edited by northstar91

this site rules!

I would be superappreciative if you would teach me to replace the player portraits. I'd like to learn to move them around (give a certain player Adam Oates' picture, for example) and/or replace them with the generic images. SNES love!

this site rules!

I would be superappreciative if you would teach me to replace the player portraits. I'd like to learn to move them around (give a certain player Adam Oates' picture, for example) and/or replace them with the generic images. SNES love!

Well, I'm technically cheating on the player portraits since I'm only using the four 'generic' portraits. I would recommend reading Smozoma's post on player portraits here: http://forum.nhl94.com/index.php?showtopic=11692 to start. Much of my work couldn't be done without his (and others such as Statto and Xstioph) exploration of the ROM data.

Yea, really nice to see someone is working on "real" snes hacks.

I tried to contact the guy who created the snes record keeper. but he didn't reply. I'd be happy if someone could push me in the right direction for getting game/player stats from a save state and convert it from hex to text/numbers for viewing on a website.

Yea, really nice to see someone is working on "real" snes hacks.

I tried to contact the guy who created the snes record keeper. but he didn't reply. I'd be happy if someone could push me in the right direction for getting game/player stats from a save state and convert it from hex to text/numbers for viewing on a website.

Xstioph found a lot of the SNES savestate offsets (he makes several posts)

If want to do the database stuff, then do these tutorials:

HTML (website display)

SQL (database interaction)

PHP (programming it all..)

I did my site in ASP pages instead of PHP because it's what I already knew.. but I think PHP is the simpler way to go if you're just starting out

Here's the "WAMP" software you'll need

http://www.wampserver.com/en/ (windows + apache web server + mysql database + PHP)

thanks for the reply and the link to the thread. I'm already good at HTML, PHP and MySQL. So that should be no problem. I just don't know how to handle the save state to get some real information out of it.

can you explain how you do it with ASP?

thanks for the reply and the link to the thread. I'm already good at HTML, PHP and MySQL. So that should be no problem. I just don't know how to handle the save state to get some real information out of it.

can you explain how you do it with ASP?

I use an ASP.NET script to let the user upload a file.

Then there is a way to read the uploaded file into an array of bytes. You can read the data from those bytes..

PHP file upload

I also save the file to the server, so it can be re-read later if I upgrade my script (like when I added GWG/GTG/SO, and recently Time on Ice)

i'll send you the asp.net script so you don't have to start from scratch..

I found the palettes for the logos (and the pointer table for these palettes)! Thus, I have altered the logo palettes for each team to make it as close to each team's current logo.

Below is a sneak peek of what I have done so far. I don't consider it a playable ROM, since the lines and rosters aren't current or complete (other than full names, like JSG and PMB). But check it out; it's pretty cool.

I think that it could be possible to rearrange the teams so that it will at least be alphabetical. The only things left to figure are the location of pointer tables for logos and uniform palettes (if these do exist). After these are discovered, rearranging teams in the menu can be done.

Interesting note: I have found a set of pointers before the logo palettes from 0xe05b7-0xe0696 (0xe03b7-0xe0496 w/o header). I still haven't figured out for what purpose these pointers exist.

Interesting note: I have found a set of pointers before the logo palettes from 0xe05b7-0xe0696 (0xe03b7-0xe0496 w/o header). I still haven't figured out for what purpose these pointers exist.

Hm, that's 56 pointers.. 2 of things for each team..

One day I'll write a nice SNES hacking guide...

Hm, that's 56 pointers.. 2 of things for each team..

One day I'll write a nice SNES hacking guide...

I noticed that when I first found the pointers; as I tried to experiment by exchanging two of the pointers, however, either the game broke or there did not seem to be any noticeable change.

I noticed that when I first found the pointers; as I tried to experiment by exchanging two of the pointers, however, either the game broke or there did not seem to be any noticeable change.

i'm wondering if it's something like small logo and big logo. maybe music? no idea.

get Geiger's snes9x debugger (most recent version)

put a breakpoint on the location of one of the pointers, and then see what trips the breakpoint. maybe switching to a certain team..