NHL'94 Forums

HOW THE f**k TO USE NOSE

Stepher1980

i know i addressed this in another thread. is it vista 64? if it is, do some more searching. it's around here somewhere. does the error mention something about the mscomctl.ocx file?

yes it did. but im not sure if its a vista-64 how do i find out?

Edited by Stepher1980

go to the top of this page

there is a search bar

change the dropdown from 'this topic' to 'forums'

write mscomctl.ocx in the search box

hit enter

i'd rather a full tutorial for that stupid editor. i'm using my mom pc under my user account. i wish i had my pc fixed

kay, then you won't need to do anything extra, except download and install the mscomctl.ocx file.

it won't open. the window says that it doesn't exist please install and register "Windows Common Controls Active-X Control

Dll". where do i find that? after all windows vista has a half-fast done program

Edited by Stepher1980

change the thread title fag

great you called a fellow habs fan a fag. you're not too freaking bright are you? and how in the hell do you "change the thread"? hum?:P

Edited by Stepher1980

when the install for VB 6.0 comes up, you have to run as an administrator, otherwise it won't be installed properly.

i done the way you said but it still won't work it says reinstall with recommended settings

why the hell don't people create programs right and much easier the first time? especially vista. it's funny how you need more programs to run a editor.

Edited by Stepher1980

i done the way you said but it still won't work it says reinstall with recommended settings

why the hell don't people create programs right and much easier the first time? especially vista. it's funny how you need more programs to run a editor.

NOSE is written with a really old technology (replaced in 2001), stuff that has been phased out of Windows over the years.

(vista's an operating system, not a program (well, it's a collection of programs.. that operate your system))

They have to phase it out because including all the old stuff will slow the system down and make it harder to maintain and less secure.

Typically you're supposed to create an installer for a program, too, so it has all the support files, but NOSE doesn't do this (which made sense when it was written, but is a problem now that Vista/7 are out)

I'm surprised it doesn't work, though... installing that package and copying the ocx to the right place should be enough : (

Try adding admin rights to your account (you will have to do it from another account that already has admin rights), then go back to your account, install the vb runtime package again, and make sure the ocx file is both in c:\windows\system32 and also in the directory with NOSE.exe

then go back and remove admin rights from the account (if you want to... vista has that User Access Control scheme, though, which makes having admin rights a bit safer than in XP and older editions of windows)

If you get any error messages, try googling for the error message and 'vista', and seeing what people say on other sites. try here again if that doesn't work, but I think we're out of ideas on this board..